UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

Full, based around 1956-1958. It's a joint project between myself and 2995valliant but it's a looooong way off yet! We're only at the planning and research phase at the moment and even then we're currently working on Foxfield so I don't think any major construction will start for a little while yet.

Cheers,

PLP

Great pics and thanks for appreciating the route. Someone said elsewhere on here that they don't like short routes and there are too many for the UK. But I think they have their place.

Paul
Np m8 I love it I just love how complicated the yard is if your a new driver on there. I don't mind having this short route but I wouldn't mind the whole branch ether hehe.

We really do need more detailed UK routes and thing though tbh.

As for you PLP my friend I love that you are doing the whole S&D this has been needed for a long time as I've mentioned above I wish you good luck my friend.

hopefully these give a better idea of the models themselves.
If I may criticize your models a bit? Your window openings are unrealistic they don't have any embrasures which is very unusual at that period. At least if you use wooden windows. If they are made of steel it would be fine without embrasures . In both cases they are way to thick...
And your windows don't have any frames.
For the roof. I miss a roof truss. Easy to do and can be cut of LOD > 0...

To see in practice what I mean look at my MV_Lokschuppen-Joehstadt <KUID2:206616:100321:2>

I hope you don't get my critics in the wrong throat...

Hi Mick,

Not at all, feedback is always welcome. Frames have been included for the metal extension shed but not for the brick one and you're right it's probably something that needs adding. I'm not sure what you mean by embrasures but I'll have a look online. I'll be the first to admit that windows are a weak point of mine so any feedback is always welcome so that I can hopefully get something more realistic.

Cheers,

PLP

Oh sweet, I hope we got some old village stone building too

Like these, (Pic not mine)
traditional-cotswold-village-england-royalty-free-image-1627543111.jpg

As they would look great for a northern England setting : D

Good luck o7.
I really adore that color of Stone.

For far too long Sketchup has been portrayed as this terrible bogeyman 3D modelling software that will cripple Trainz and drag even the most powerful computers to an absolute standstill. Used correctly it's no worse than any other 3D software and Blender models are by no means immune to being resource hogs if they are poorly made.
The whole guiding principle behind Sketchup was that it should be 3D software simple enough to use that even children should be able to use it successfully. I've tried and failed to understand Blender, but I can use Sketchup with reasonable success so for that reason I applaud what you're achieving PLP.
Thanks Annie, you've hit the nail on the head - for so long it's been taboo but hopefully these models, as well as the recent work of others such as George, show what can be achieved. Thank you for your comments, I'm sure there will be plenty more to come for both Foxfield and the S&D.

Cheers,

PLP
I agree, I've absolutely no problems with Sketchup models!

V84aVgB.jpg

A Sketchup model of a BR Class 108 DMU.

Rob.

In all fairness though, that's probably because Intel integrated graphics is designed to handle video playback and basic 3D rendering. Good video performance requires a dedicated, decent GPU otherwise everyone would be using integrated graphics!

Cheers,

PLP

You can modify content for your own use on your own PC - I know there are some who state that you can't even do that if it's not mentioned in the config but in all honesty, why wouldn't you? You aren't hurting anyone or breaching copyright or distributing it illegally. If people insist you cannot modify their work in any way once you've downloaded it then that's akin to me releasing a route and specifying you can only run certain stock on it. You just wouldn't do it. I don't see the problem as long as it isn't distributed.

I know I've modified content; I've switched out enginesounds, or hornsounds, or especs, sometimes out of necessity as if a kuid is missing or not on the DLS etc. then you have to modify it to be able to use it.

Anyway, that's my 2p worth. Others will disagree but I don't really see what the issue is with it myself.

Cheers,

PLP
I agree with what you’re saying on principle PLP, I wouldn’t be bothered if someone changed sounds on my locos, engine specs etc. all these soft factors which don’t really affect the product if being changed but if you’ve ever had a run in with the TTTE you’ll see that they have the ability to make a small thing like adding a smokebox door, or changing the config a little, into being akin to you commuting a war crime, it is truly insane how immature members of that community are, which is why I suggest not altering their content as the blowback is so out of proportion often.
though ofc feel free to change enginr specs, sounds, headlamps etc. on my locos! Soft factors like that are fine to change!

Oh I have no doubt they can get prickly - I've seen some of their behaviour on this forum in the past and, while I don't wish to tar everyone with the same brush, the fact that others have mentioned this clearly show that the general image of their community isn't great. However, it doesn't change the overall fact that they can't instruct you not to modify their content or remove it from your PC if you choose to do so. Of course, if you did modify anything then it would perhaps be wise to keep your work to yourself instead of posting it in screenshots but the principle remains.

Cheers,

PLP

For far too long Sketchup has been portrayed as this terrible bogeyman 3D modelling software that will cripple Trainz and drag even the most powerful computers to an absolute standstill. Used correctly it's no worse than any other 3D software and Blender models are by no means immune to being resource hogs if they are poorly made.
The whole guiding principle behind Sketchup was that it should be 3D software simple enough to use that even children should be able to use it successfully. I've tried and failed to understand Blender, but I can use Sketchup with reasonable success so for that reason I applaud what you're achieving PLP.
Sketch up is a limited software when ur comes to modern capabilities and systems, like pbr, and animation. However for making buildings it’s totally adequate and so long as the creator uses decent textures and makes lod it’s perfectly good and I honestly have loved some of these new sketchup buildings. Likewise as you said blender is as only as good as the person using it and a untrained person can create inefficient models, bad lods and poor results, no matter the software it’s really the discipline and dedication of the user which matters most, though for locos and things like that there are barriers which make sketch up unviable, but I encourage people who wanna start somehwere to make buildings in the software!

In all fairness though, that's probably because Intel integrated graphics is designed to handle video playback and basic 3D rendering. Good video performance requires a dedicated, decent GPU otherwise everyone would be using integrated graphics!

Cheers,

PLP
Trouble is there are more people with Intel integrated graphics than with a desktop and a GPU with a 3D score of 20,000. Choose the content carefully and Trainz runs fine on Iris XE.

Cheerio John

Brill m8 even though the railway is about an hour away sadly I don't have the transports to go there.
But with your route this dream can happen in trainz : D

(If I don't throw my PC against the wall that is lol)
Haha I promise you PLP I will have a NSR L class made one day soon so the route can have its NSR Jewel!

Trouble is there are more people with Intel integrated graphics than with a desktop and a GPU with a 3D score of 20,000. Choose the content carefully and Trainz runs fine on Iris XE.

Cheerio John

Hi John,

I don't know, I can certainly see this being the case in the past in past iterations of the game when models were more basic, but I would've thought that more people would now be buying Trainz if they had a machine that would at least run on mid level settings. After all, as most games nowadays have rather strict minimum requirements I'd have thought that even a basic setup of an older CPU with an entry level GPU would be more effective than integrated graphics.

Anyway, apologies for taking the topic off thread; here's a screenshot by way of apology: Swanage have decided to sell their dining set but will retain their kitchen car. So until the stock leaves the railway, here D3551 is seen shunting the kitchen car into the headshunt at Swanage station:
e5qf1I3.jpg

Nx93DZf.jpg

Cheers,

PLP

Back