EURSIG - Set Up, Switch On, Depart - a new backend for European signals - German and general broken scripts European signal replacement project

ricomon35

SceneWright
Mika has posted an update thread regarding development of a new replacement project for the broken German (Hsig, DBsig mainly, and some other European) signal sets.

The link to the thread >>> EURSIG - Aufstellen, Einschalten, Abfahrt - ein neues Backend für Europäische Signale

For those who don't want to read/translate the original German, I have translated the original announcement text below:

Hello community!

Since I'm currently reading about dissatisfaction with problems with old signals with new Trainz versions, I think it's a good time to finally present this project here as a little light at the end of the tunnel.

Over the last year I've had little time or interest in Trainz, but my "last big project" is slowly creeping away: a new library of signal scripts that paves the way for German signals without much fuss that can be set up and connected as quickly as possible cause little problems with other scripts.

How come, for what reason, and why?

It's been a long time since I tried building routes myself. A topic that has always frustrated me: signaling. The VSM system that was popular at the time was capable of an incredible amount, but setting it up was laborious and nothing worked without manually configuring each signal. Much easier with the Americans - they simply planted signals with one, two or three heads and realistic-looking signaling was possible in regular operation, which was absolutely sufficient for most applications in Trainz and all model railway systems.

This is why I wanted signals that could do exactly that for German routes: cover regular operations without complicated setup, because a signaling system with Swiss trade fair functionality already existed, but the simple signals of 15 years ago were of course no longer suitable for modern requirements grown.

What's up? What isn't?

And so the GERSIG project was born, plug-and-play signals that cover the H/V, HL and Ks systems and, if possible, avoid the use of the ❓ menu. The idea: the American signaling logic that Trainz has mastered ex works continues to tick inside, with an addition: the signaling of speeds and direction indicators. The implementation of replacement signal terms is omitted here, and the implementation of more complicated signal dependencies such as the intersection of two routes is achieved by the internationally used rules and script objects from other creators, which are located in large numbers on the DLS and do this job reliably on North American and Australian routes - why reinvent the wheel?

With the next version, the project name will be changed to EURSIG because the Central Europe project team has expressed a desire for new signals for our Eastern European neighboring countries and the modular structure of the scripts supports easy expansion to include additional signaling systems. After all, where H/V signals are running, a large part of the work for Austria has already been done, and with HL signals the main load for signals from Poland, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary and co is also done.

Who are the scripts aimed at?

For object builders who want to build signals. basy2xc has been working on implementing Ks signals with my script for some time and creators in the Central Europe team will probably create new Polish signals.

On the technical side, the scripts support the implementation of the signal lights using coronas, meshes and both at the same time.

What is the current status?

I currently have some test signals for the HL, Ks and H/V systems for main signals, distant signals and repeaters that work. Speed signaling and direction signaling work through "innovative" self-explanatory trackside objects according to a simple rule: signals show the lowest signal speed found between two main signals and the first direction indicator they encounter.

Soon (as soon as time and motivation allow) the system will be expanded to include opposite track indicators (using the same system as direction indicators, simply place a corresponding trigger against the normal direction of travel on the track at the end of the station), and the integration of additional OSJD signaling systems (connected with a new one). Blinking logic to display the "rapid blinking" of Slovakian signals) and since several creators have expressed a wish to take shunting signals into account, I am currently examining an implementation of the recognition of shunting movements via the little used "train priority" option in Trainz.

Interested? If you have created it yourself and are interested in the current status of the package of scripts, test signals and triggers, I would be happy to send it to you. Unfortunately, there is currently no detailed documentation, so my support options are currently only available depending on my time, but I am happy to take care of anyone who would like to build something with my script. I hope that with enough motivation I can improve this situation in the future.

Otherwise, this thread is open for discussion, requests and criticism. Please note the motivation of the system, the goal is not to create an alternative to the VSM or the interim DBSig - I only want to take features into account to the extent that they result in a largely intuitive and self-explanatory plug-and-play experience for the route builder!

Disclaimer to tame expectations: I'm only working on the script that make the signals tick. Other creators still need to build the physical signal models. As it stands, basy2xc is working on Ks signals and some H/V signals. Polish signals are planned from the Central Europe development group. When theres actually usable signals available is up to the mesh creators that want to implement my script.

Greetings, Mika

Disclaimer to tame expectations: I'm only working on the script that make the signals tick. Other creators still need to build the physical signal models. As it stands, basy2xc is working on Ks signals and some H/V signals. Polish signals are planned from the Central Europe development group. When theres actually usable signals available is up to the mesh creators that want to implement my script.

Greetings, Mika
Good news :)

For me, it's the Hsig, DBSig sets that are most important.

All of my German DLS MRR routes use them.

Rico

Back