TRS19 SP5 Official Release

I must be strange because I like the new compass as well and I don't find it to be any more of a nuisance than the old one was. I'm brilliant at getting lost and disorientated on my own layouts so for me the compass is more than just interesting decoration.

Perhaps having both versions of the compass available for those who prefer one or the other. Rather than the new one being set as default? Have the option to set your own default. Fair to all...?

Last edited:
Sometimes I wonder how Tony doesn't go crazy. People ask for things and when those things show up in game the other half post that the world is ending. Someone's disk is full but they blame N3V for their game crashing. They don't bother to even look at the beta forums, nor do they try the "public" beta's before release, but then when they come across a new feature they say N3V is ruining their life.

It does get old...

But I do have to say: Good for you Tony for keeping mostly above the fray and staying respectful. I don't know how you do it.

Someone's disk is full but they blame N3V for their game crashing.

Is that because of all the Trainz backups people make before installing the next version.

From my point of view it would be far better if previous versions were made available for download in the MyTrainz page. Having to make backups of a complete install is not good use of available disc space.

John

Hi Mr. Tony,

Thank-you for looking at the problem. I have reached out to Greencoast on the issue.

Thank-you

Is that because of all the Trainz backups people make before installing the next version.

Its not just the "executeables" and their associated files in the "C:\Program Files\N3V Games\Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019" folder (in my case this is about 20GB) but also the userdata folder where all the "assets" are installed (123GB in my case).

From my point of view it would be far better if previous versions were made available for download in the MyTrainz page.

Looking at "MyTrainz" from the link at the top of this page, I have access to all my online downloaded (i.e. "digital") purchases of Trainz from TS12 onwards. The link to TRS19 Platinum Edition will download the SP4 version of TRS19, the previous SP release.

Having to make backups of a complete install is not good use of available disc space.

I totally agree, plus the obvious fact that storing backups of anything on the same disk device as the working copies is not a good idea. All my backups are stored (mirrored) on two external drives so my, admittedly still largely empty, main disk storage is not impacted.

Looking at "MyTrainz" from the link at the top of this page, I have access to all my online downloaded (i.e. "digital") purchases of Trainz from TS12 onwards. The link to TRS19 Platinum Edition will download the SP4 version of TRS19, the previous SP release.

Hi pware. Yes agree, but the point I was trying to make was what if I wanted to roll back say to SP1 for example. Unless you have a backup you're stuffed.

Obviously if people roll back for whatever reason, then any problems encountered as a result will be down to them. Maybe that's a reason why N3V don't offer links to previous builds. Who knows. But I believe people should have the choice and save valuable space.

Just as a comparison check out the Blender site and you will find every version available for download since v1.0, not that I'd ever want to go back to v1.0 mind you LOL. https://download.blender.org/release/

John

SP5 Full Download on MyTrainz?

Heya Tony and N3V Team,

Are you planning to update the MyTrainz store download pages with the SP5 full installers? Both platforms and regular & Platinum versions currently point to the SP4 full installers.

Thanks!
Diego

Hi pware. I would love to get back to TRS19 SP4! Is there a way to do this without loosing all assets, routes, etc.? Starting from scratch will be a lot of work. I've re-installed TS12 and am working on getting assets. I don't hate TRS19, I can live without my boxcar doors not working, but loosing my flatcars is too much. At least I still had them in SP4.

Thanks .... Rick

I thought this problem had been solved in SP5.

Same image and resolution in TANE

Last edited:
Hi pware. I would love to get back to TRS19 SP4! Is there a way to do this without loosing all assets, routes, etc.?

Hi Rick,

Firstly archive or delete, whichever is your preference, your current copy of TRS19 SP5 and its userdata folder.

The MyTrainz link at the top of this page will take you to the Membership/Profile/Support etc page.

1. Click the My Digital Downloads link under the Trainz heading.
  2. You will see a large button with "TRS19" plus other text that will depend on which TRS19 version or Trainz Plus you have purchased.
  3. Click the TRS19 button and you will get a choice of downloads - PC/Mac and Full Installer (downloads the whole package in one file) or Online Installer (loads a small install program and gets the rest via download links - all automatically). The full installer is over 9GB in size, I have never used the Online Installer so I have no idea of its total size but I would expect it to be about the same but in smaller chunks.
  4. Click the install option that suits you best. Using the full installer will allow you to save a backup copy, preferably on an external device.
  5. After downloading, run the installer.

It will start by telling you that a patch is available, that is the SP4 patch, not the SP5 patch, so click install or continue (whichever comes up). When complete it should run a DBR - if not run one yourself. On startup it will ask you for your performance settings preferences - this may require a restart of TRS19.

Make sure that you enter your forum user name and password in the Trainz Settings --> My Trainz --> account then exit and restart TRS19

After installing you will have TRS19 PE SP4 (in your case) installed. It will prompt you to install the SP5 update. If you want to keep SP4 then decline the offer of updating to SP5 - I think you select something like "Do not remind me again" from a small drop down list. I never refuse an offer of a free update so I am uncertain of the wording.

As to what you might lose by going back to SP4 - that is harder to answer. Any assets with a build number of 5.0 will not run in SP4 and will require SP5. You will probably need to reinstall any DLC packages you have purchased.

EDIT: One thing you should do with all your own assets is to save them as .cdp files on an external storage. After you reinstall TRS19 (any version) then you can import them into the program.

My suggestions based on imperfect recollections.

Last edited:
I thought this problem had been solved in SP5.

As far as I can see it has. I just tested it in SP5 and the problem that I reported from SP4 (the gradient of track where spline heights have not be set not being updated when terrain under the track is changed) has been fixed.

I've just discovered that I've still got a copy of the TS2019 SP3 off-line installer. Archiving it away right now because it's always best to be safe rather than sorry. Seriously though before doing any patching it's a darn good idea to back up everything just in case something goes wrong. I use Seagate 4Tb expansion desktop external hard drives and I've found them to be both affordable and reliable.

Last edited:
Hi pware. No that is not the problem I am encountering. There is a message that when I hover on a spline point, stating that the spline points are too far apart. So I have installed quite a few spline points to no avail.....the problem still persists.

BTW thanks for your new regions with normal grids . A very useful fix for a situation that could have been avoided.

Regarding the new compass.....

Tony Hilliam :
The old one is very low res and a Trainz community member offered this version, which we quite liked. No-one in the past many months of testing has mentioned it either (that I know of). Perhaps they all have the compass turned off?

Mea culpa Tony, I usually do get involved with the testing of new builds. By the looks of it I should have been involved in the testing of this new SP5. I definitely would have offered my opinion regarding failings, weaknesses and objectionable changes made that affect functionality.

Thanks for your efforts. Happy days all......
:D

Last edited:
By the looks of it I should have been involved in the testing of this new SP5. I definitely would have offered my opinion regarding failings, weaknesses and objectionable changes made that affect functionality.

That's an excellent reason for getting involved in beta testing. N3V would never be able to test all the new (or updated) features in all possible situations and on all possible hardware combinations.

Crashes after installing update

I have a problem with Patch 5 for TRS19 platinum.
It wasn't able to install at first, but after a couple tries I got it working, now the launcher won't stay open, it keeps showing database repair and then it closes.

I have a similar problem. The launcher opens, followed by a dialog saying something about "clearing cache," then the whole thing exits. I have regular TRS19.

Back