NEW ROUTE-CSX COLUMBIA SC to SAVANAH GA.

amrail2000

GONE AND FORGOTTEN
Well after downloading TRS 09 I'm planning to start work in the next few days on building CSX's line from Columbia SC to Savannah Georgia. I'm going to try to make this route as acurate as possible. There may some maps that the end user will have to add on as these are going to be rather larger. Namely the Kodak plant at EASTMAN,as well as the Port at Garen city Georgia. Also included will be the Charleston /Columbia cut-off. If you live along this when finished you'll be reconize key features. Lastly I'll do my best to make all industries interactive. Well let me know what you think. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.
RUN EIGHT
Sam

Well after downloading TRS 09 I'm planning to start work in the next few days on building CSX's line from Columbia SC to Savannah Georgia. I'm going to try to make this route as acurate as possible. There may some maps that the end user will have to add on as these are going to be rather larger. Namely the Kodak plant at EASTMAN,as well as the Port at Garen city Georgia. Also included will be the Charleston /Columbia cut-off. If you live along this when finished you'll be reconize key features. Lastly I'll do my best to make all industries interactive. Well let me know what you think. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.
RUN EIGHT
Sam

I am looking forward to your route!

I have only vacationed to Charleston to stay with a family friend once in 2006.

On US 17 there is a neat stretch of track that you can sort of pace a train on. That is the A Line and a part of your work. I would love to run a Q train in that track in TRS. :udrool: I do believe that the juice train runs that part.

My advice is to use either a DEM or accurate full scale in your route. I have done the FEC in SE Florida once without accurate 1'=1' and it was a disaster. You can execute rulers and make sure 1 mile = 1 mile.

Are you serious...?

:cool: Fishlipsatwork made a terrain map complete with the roads, railways & waterways for Columbia to Charston, SC on the DLS under the kuid of 59012...

Use a topo map to figure out what you need.

PM me...if you wish.

The line will start in columbia around the industrial district. Now I'm chosing this for the starting point as this area has numerous three way switches and is a switching problem all of it's own. From there the user will cross the congaree river and proceed into the CAYCE yard. Now I do plan run a line into charleston but let me get finished with Cola. Chas. line first.Also I'll be doing this on a 1:1 scale. So please be patient and i'll keep you updated. Now living just outside of columbia in lexngton alot of these areas are places i can go to and get first hand info. Lets see what happens. As for the dem map, it's my desire for the user to be able to place his trains and go.
Run Eight
Sam

Ok here is the first of many up dates to come. Track is laid across the Congaree river in Columbia. The driver will be able to cross both CSX and NS bridges. If your from here then you be able to see the river walk. Next on the list is the CSX yard in Cayce. From there I'll let you know.
Run Eight
Sam

Greetings Amrail2000. Nice to meet you!

:wave:

Your route sounds pretty good. I look forward to reading more updates and seeing screenshots.

Best of luck on your route!

:)

Hey guys I greatly thank you for the input. I got to looking at what I had done so far, and i realized one thing. Everything was just too far apart(bridges and peirs). So I pulled up Microsoft live search maps and downloaded google earth. Here's what I learned. I hade the river around 1800 feet wide. It's only 628 feet wide. Both bridges were around 2000 feet long. As it turns out, the NS bridge is 1,015 feet long and the CSX bridge is 843 feet long. Also the quarry (yes it's served by CSX) was way too away from the river. Knowing the area like I do, it almost sits on the rivers edge. So I did what any one in my situation would do. I scratched my head abit, and then called in the wrecking crew. In short I started over. Well by 9am ( I started at 1am)I had everything but scenery back in place. Now everything looks better. So once I get the scenery in place I get a pic up. Now everyones going to have to over look the fact that I don't have overhead gravel loading bins. I can't seem to find one on the DLS. Well that's all for now.
Sam

I was finally able to find the overhead gravel loading bins and I have them in place. Now looking at my layout verses a photo from either google earth or livesearch maps from micro soft you'll see some differences. While i'm going for as close as possible, the main thing i want is for the effect to be dead on. so I may not have all the conveyors in place, all the tracks are. In modeling we call this creative license. I hope to get some pics up by monday.
Thanks and
Run Eight
Sam

Hey Sam

Been following this just a little and having the Google Map is a great idea.
One thing that has usually puzzled me is that how could one get a real close up view to get details of a certain area
unless one was to go to the spot in question ?

Here's an unqualified answer forya - pull out the old Garmin GPS and follow it until there is a crossing nearby.
Follow the road and make a few pics of the area as best as possible and come home with the ground level views.
This, of course, would take several trips down the road and a nice digital camera for the effort.

Since we are neighbors, perhaps there could be a cooperative effort in the making and have a sharing experience as well.
If this has been a consideration on your behalf then we may make a fair team of route development.
I love photography, have a GPS, and have traveled quite a bit.

Could be a good idea - who knows. If YOU sprout a good idea in the making, give me a shout.

The Colonel :cool:

Ok, Here's another update for those of you who are following the progress if this route. The Cayce Yard is half way complete and I am now with half of my hair on top of my head. But in the end every thing everything work like it should. Now if your running a locomotive from WORLD OF TRAINS, then you'll be able to refuel and resand in Cayce. I've got several of Phils Locomotives and on TRS 09 they are awesome. I've ran these in TRS 06 and have got the same result. By tonight I'll have the scenery in place and pics up here for all to see. Now in no will I brag, but i really hope you'll like whet you'll see.
---Col.Klink--- Along with Google earth, I'm using windows live search maps. Combined i'm able to get photo quality images. Now if you want to teem up, just let me know. Like you,I can ramble on for hours about trains.Well, It's my sincere hope that my next post will include pics.
RUN EIGHT
Sam

Well, here we go again.
As I type this, the Cayce Yard is complete and finished. And I have gone through about 3 cups of coffee and I'm now bald. Placement of the ten switch ladder in the middle of yard about drove me crazy. Any way, at this point I need to align tracks so that there is only curve in the yard, and get all the line side structures in place. I did some how suffer a major loss. The water in the congaree river some how sunk way below the river bed. Each time I tried to bring it up to where it should be, TRS09 shut down. So I figured better to lose one board with not much on it than the whole yard. So now I'll add the board back and do it over.
HEY!!! Can some one please tell me how to screen shots in here. I have some ready, but no idea on how to import them. Well that's all for now, thanks to all for keeping an eye on this thread.
RUN EIGHT
Sam.

Here is the congaree river with the CSX and Norfolk Southern Bridges. The bridge on the right is the NS Bridge.

Screen_002.jpg

Screen_004.jpg

Here we're facing south, heading into Cayce with the Marten Mareriata Quary on the left.

This is the lead into Cayce, with the main line on the far right. Keep in mind scenery still needs to be added.

Screen_005.jpg

This is the yard office at cayce. You'll notice that yes i still need to add alot of scenery and structure detail. Once I announce the final yard is complete, than i'll post pics with all scenery items in place.
Screen_009.jpg

Ok finally got all the yard tracks in the Cayce Yard realligned. Next on the list is the scenery and structures. That will most likely hapen when I get in from work this evening. At the same I'll get the industries around to be active. Right now I have just their tracks in place.But for now I have family business to tend to then take a nap before going to work.
Run Eight
Sam

Well for anyone who has been following this thread, The Cayce Yard took a catstrophic hit the other night. TS 09 stopped displaying water.And considering there several bodies water that both CSX and NorfolkSouthern cross, water is a big issue. I tried relloading TRS09 but no luck. So now I'm back to square one. But Now I'm going to use TS06, so let see how it goes. I'll be starting with an hour of this posting.Thanks and let's keep our finger and toes crossed.
Sam

Columbia moving to TRS 06

Ok after numerous re-install and build38285 taking out my water, I'm ging to just do my Columbia to Savannah route on TRS 06. My apologies to any who wanted it on TS09. But right now I just don't see that happening as there just too many bugs that needs to be worked out with AURAN. On the upside Auran have teamed up but neither of us can promise anything.well once again, I'll keep everyone posted.
Run Eight
Sam

For those who are keeping up with route, I'm currently working north into columbia. I'm trying to decide just how far north to take the route. Once complete the user will be able work the entire industrial district in columbia. Just as a future warning, Follow all speed limits as the line can end with out notice. Once i get some updated screen shots that Im happy with I'll get them up here. This entire route will be for TRS 06,if you have any questions let me know.
RUN EIGHT
Sam

CSX Columbia to Savannah Ga. Route R & D

Well are we ready for this?
Here goes with the latest update. First-->Coming from the Congaree River heading North into Columbia one the biggest industrial districts is very near completion. Also Norfolk Southern Line into the Andrews Yard is in place. Both Lines come very close to the USC Williams Bryce Stadium which very very unique. I may not able to place(DARN AND DOUBLE DARN)it. I'll eaven have to strecth the truth abit to get the Cock-a-boose railroad in place.
Second--> I've been doing alot of R & D and have come up on a problem and I need your help with the answer.There are alot of industries that I just don't know what they ship or receive. Namely because they no longer ship or receive by rail. Also none of industries have loads that terminate or originate along the line. So would you like me to make the industries active or not?????? Also looking along Norfolk southerns line tonight, I found out that what I thought was a main line,is actually a 19 mile long dead end track. So I'll have a train generator at the end of that line. Then there is the Norfolk Southern line into Augusta Georgia. I ran the line use Micro Softs Live Search Maps. Half way down the line I almost fell asleep. So Along that line I put another train generator. As I have said in a previous post, Please follow all speed limits and obey all signals. Before I release the route, I'll make sure that everything works as it should.In closing let me add this, while I'm making this route as acurate as possible, please don't to use it a street map. Well back to the construction for . Screenies should be up with in the next few days.
Run Eight
Sam

Back