NEW ROUTE-CSX COLUMBIA SC to SAVANAH GA.

Track REALIGNMENT

Amrail, Good start, but your track work can use a lot of TLC. Whats with that strange curve there before the road crossing? No locomotive ever made by man would negate such a curve. That is WAY too tight.
Other than that, your getting there.
LVMAN, Just imagine a csx AC6000 trying to run that curve.:D :D :D That was before I finished the realignment of that segment of mainline. I pulled a measurement from GOOGLE EARTH and found the CSX and NS lines to be around 500 feet off from they should be. If I would have left both tracks in place, they would have crossed each other way too soon. Now in this pic is the tracks in correct alignment. Also look back up to the loading dock. In the above pic it's on the same side as the two track NS Line. In the pic below, it on the correct side and facing the correct way. NOW HAVE YOU SEEN MY HAIR, I'VE LOST IT:hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: .
inplace.jpg

UPDATE TIME

Well as I write this,I've finally got the area finished aroound the University of South Carolina (USC) campus. I've got just a few minor details to go back and add before I declare it that section totally complete. I'm now working on another CSX industrial area by Williams Brice Stadium. At this time I'm trying to figure out how to recreate the cock-a-boose railroad. This is a nice collection of of former Illinois Central cabooses now painted Garnet and Black.At this time I'm using Chessie wide vision cabooses as a stand in. I guess that's about all for now. I hope to get a little bit more done this evening.
RUN EIGHT
Sam

Yet Another Update

Well after spending most of the night working till my butt fell off, I have the area around Williams Brice Stadium complete. This evening I hope to get some screen shots of the area up. Now don't and I repeat DO NOT tell me that the curves are to sharp. I have been out there and walked these same tracks since I was 14 and I'm 38 now. So I do know this area. Yes I know that there some sharp curves, and that is why CSX TRANSPORTATION has a speed restriction of no more than 5 MPH while crews are working this area. Now This are only has three remaining tracks to switch (one of which has been removed and I put it back), but the tracks wind there way to them. Also the fencing is ornate, but remember all of this property is shared by local businesses and the University of South Carolina. There for everything has either been upgraded or just forgotten about. While it will be possible for one to get an accurate feel for what it takes to switch this whole area, PLEASE DON"T think that is a street map. Not all street on the map are on the route, but all tracks on the map are on the route-well for now-.
Now it's bed time after a much needed 3rd cup of coffee. :confused: :D :D
As always, PLEASE STAY SAFE OUT THERE
and
RUN EIGHT
Sam

Looking forward to your screens Sam, and wondering how you get to sleep after your third cup...:)

Looking forward to your screens Sam, and wondering how you get to sleep after your third cup...:)

It takes lot's of skill and patience and the coffee is probably 8 hours old with no kick in it:hehe: Looks very good Sam and I am impressed. I look forward to more screens.

God Bless,

Ryan

It takes lot's of skill and patience and the coffee is probably 8 hours old with no kick in it:hehe: Looks very good Sam and I am impressed. I look forward to more screens.

God Bless,

Ryan
Hey guys,
As always I do greatly thankyou for taking the time to leave a post here.I'm hoping to get the new pics up this evening. Also I hope get some before and after shots up as well. Now as for the coffee thing, it's normally fresh, and for some reason, after the cup I am way ready for bed. Well Advil gives me a headache, I guess I'm backwards in the area( my wife and kids say I'm a dork).
This evening I'll be working on the NorfolkSouthern Andrew's yard, and Columbia Owen's Feild Airport. Please don't freak when you see just how close the run way is to the CSX Line. Yes It is just that close. Now could please help me with a problem I am having. I'm trying to decide whether ot not to make the industries interactive or not. The problem with this is, that really none of the loads that originate on the line terminate on the line. I've given thought to using portals, but I just don't know. EUPHOD you're input would greatly appreciated on this.Well that's about for now.
Run Eight
Sam

A portal at each end to add throught traffic is almost expected now days. As far as the industries go, if there are no receiving or producing industries on the route, then I would not add them. However, I find it hard to accept that there are no locals, no spurs, on the line. Of course, you would know this better than I. Remember people can, and often do edit a route for their own pleasure.

Beware though, the RPT route I helped make years ago got a bit "old" for me with no industries besides the commuter stations, airport and seaport. I've been trying to figure how to add some industries since....:)

A portal at each end to add throught traffic is almost expected now days. As far as the industries go, if there are no receiving or producing industries on the route, then I would not add them. However, I find it hard to accept that there are no locals, no spurs, on the line. Of course, you would know this better than I. Remember people can, and often do edit a route for their own pleasure.

Beware though, the RPT route I helped make years ago got a bit "old" for me with no industries besides the commuter stations, airport and seaport. I've been trying to figure how to add some industries since....:)
Hey my Friend,
The route has numerous indsutries along the way. Cayce yard alone sends out about 6 locals a day. One goes to the East Kodak plant(Geez that place is huge)another goes to the Auto terminal(another biggie),and theres the industrial districts down town that I'm currently working on.Yes products do origanate and terminate on the line, But say the coiled steel load from Carolina coated Products does not terminate anywhere on the line. Also I just don't know what loads are produced at some of the industries as they shipped out in box cars. So for the time being I think I'll continue to look into it and do my research. So at this time interactive industries is still an option. Oh and and one last problem, alot of these companies no longer ship or receive products by rail, to the point that I have put tracks back in where they dont exist anymore. Euphod I do thankyou for your insight, and as of right now I do plan to have some portals.
Run Eight
Sam

Hello Sam, if you don't mind my input, I would say, yes, put industries in. They make for a great local job. People now adays look for the ability to run short locals then hook up and run out. Portals are a must if you ask me. It makes the route have this endless feel to them. My route has 19 different portals. Yes 19. It is because I like running 5 consists at the same time. To me it gives me the rush of what it is like in the real world. I can railfan when ever I want. Portals and industries are pretty much a must. Without Industries it doesn't make the route fun to run and portals are a depending kind of thing. Some people like it and some don't. It depends on the person.

Hope this helps,

God Bless,

Ryan:wave:

Hello Sam, if you don't mind my input, I would say, yes, put industries in. They make for a great local job. People now adays look for the ability to run short locals then hook up and run out. Portals are a must if you ask me. It makes the route have this endless feel to them. My route has 19 different portals. Yes 19. It is because I like running 5 consists at the same time. To me it gives me the rush of what it is like in the real world. I can railfan when ever I want. Portals and industries are pretty much a must. Without Industries it doesn't make the route fun to run and portals are a depending kind of thing. Some people like it and some don't. It depends on the person.

Hope this helps,

God Bless,

Hey Ryan,
I greatly thankyou for your input on this subject. I'm really having to agree with you, as I'm one who likes being able run a local and then either head back to the yard or tie the train for the next crew to take. Another thing I'm giving thought to is having loaded trains go into a portal and then return empty. Also I'm going to be exploring the possibility of having a train come out of a portal and pull into either Andrews Yard(Norfolk Southern) or Cayce Yard( CSX), and then having the user take over. I know this can be done as I've done it, I just have to remember how. So over the next few days I'll set a up blank route maybe with two boards, and then do some R&D. But I definitely think I'll making all the industries interactive. The cayce quarry is one as they have their own RS3 locomotive. Another good one would be Carolina Coated products, which still ships out rolls of coiled steel. So again I do thank you and that's all I need to make it happen.
Run Eight
Sam

Even if an industry doesn't terminate it's product in the route, it can still be set out in a yard for a through freight to remove to a portal. This is a fine idea, and would provide some interaction and switching for the user.

Even if an industry doesn't terminate it's product in the route, it can still be set out in a yard for a through freight to remove to a portal. This is a fine idea, and would provide some interaction and switching for the user.
I would have to agree. So starting tonight, I'm going to do some R&D and see about making this happen.

Update Time

Well I'm finally moving of Columbia heading west. At this time I'm working on the Norfolk Southern Andrews Yard.Last night I finished Columbia Owen's Feild airport. Before I sit down tonight to work on the route, I'll get some screenshot posted. As far as the airport goes, you'll be able to fly in and out of the airport or watch trains and planes at the same time. You'll notice that the run way appears to be rather close to the CSX Mainline. Before you say anything, I pulled measurements, and on the east end-it's 180 feet from the main,with the east end being 80 feet. So yes it's as close as it appears. This is soley a regional airport,so don't think about landing a 747 on it.More to follow this evening.
RUN EIGHT
Sam
One question for our Pro's out there. How would I go about attatching a read-me file to the route?

Hey, not to intrude, but where did you get the big NS bridge over the river (I missed what it was called), the one with the Warren truss (i think) in the middle?

*edit* oh yeah, it's the Congaree river, missed that.

Sorry for the Delay

Hey guys sorry for the time away. As you know the global economy tanked and with it so my hours and available money. While the decescion was hard to make, the wife and I had to let the internet go for a while. Thankdfullly I was able to keep my job at Applebee's even though I had and still have reduced hours. So I kindly ask that you remain patient and I'll very soon get started with the CSX Columbia to Savannah route.
Run Eight
Sam

Good to hear you're making it through the tough times Sam. I know it's all hitting us at home. We got guys working 2 jobs, plus vounteering at the station so I know what you are dealing with. Keep it up, we'll all get through this,

Take care, and stay safe

One thing that I failed to mention when I started the route is that I am major supporter of Law enforcement officers and The Fire Service. So I'll have both on the route. In fact I'll be giving CSX more of a police presence than they actually have. I have in the past worked closely with guys as well as the NTSB in accident investigation. My most recent was the Fatal collesion of A NS Freight Train and a mini-van with four people, two of which were children.The out come of that investion is the property Richland County Sheriffs Dept, and Norfolk Southern Police And Special Service's so please don't ask.
As for our member of Law Enforcement and Fire Departments everywhere here in the States and abroad, all of you have a very place in my heart.
Run Eight
Sam

Morning Sam,

I'm only a Junior Volunteer (Hopefully in 2 years I will take, and pass the Fireman's exam), but I know what ya mean. I'm around the guys at our local station and it amazes me that these guys give up there free time, to help others, with enourmous risks. Truely Hero's. I'm eger to see what you have incorperated as far as the Fire Dept's go, as there isn't much quality content, and I've never really seen emphisis on the Fire or Police dept's in a route before.

Keep up the quality work!

Take care,

Back