NEW ROUTE-CSX COLUMBIA SC to SAVANAH GA.

GREAT my favorite route is from washinton to miami ans alanta
ramelp42-->Once complete you'll be able to run the route from Columbia SC to Savannah Ga. My suggestion though to you and everyone else is have some time on your hands. We're talking a 150 mile built to full 1:1 scale. So even if all you do is just run from Columbia (Cayce Yard) To Savannah it's going to take you several hours. Also a good deal is going to be just flat out open running. And even after all the work that I will have put into this route, I still refuse to sell it. It's just my small way of giving back To Auran, the creators here, and the hobby of modelrailroading.If you want a preview of what I'm working on go to live search maps and then go to Columbia Sc. Screen Shots to follow very soon.
RUN EIGHT
Sam

so your saying even thought the route is only from savana georgia to colombia sc it still takes seven hours my god well a suggetion is if you want me to because its your route i can add it to miami if thats what you want :cool:

so your saying even thought the route is only from savana georgia to colombia sc it still takes seven hours my god well a suggetion is if you want me to because its your route i can add it to miami if thats what you want :cool:
Ok let me clear up a bit of confusion. It would take approx 2 hours to run this route,not 7. Also once complete If you'd like to run it on into miami go fo it. I just wonder if there is a computer that could handle. Also there some rather large industries along the route. Namely the kodak plant at eastman, and the CSX auto Ramps ( 6 Tracks ) at swansea. Then go to Garden City GA. Now if your from new york of brookland, then you know about port terminals. I've been studying the port at GARDEN CITY, guys i think the person who layed out then tracks in this place was drunk. This is not a switching problem, it's a switching night mare.
Well RUN EIGHT
Sam

Quick up date

heres a quick update. Both CSX and Norfolk Southern lines are in columbia. At this time I'm working along the NS R line and placing structures. This is extremley slow going. It's taken me a couple of day just to go a couple of blocks. I'll be so glad to get out of this area and back out on the main line. Lastly if someone see's my hair laying around could you please send it to me???:) :) :)
Run Eight
Sam

Columbia to Savannah

Sam
I'm reading it all, bud. Not many of us here have seen a complete route by Google Map or any other topography-based version in a long time. The DEM's are nice but not with ground references. Any help along the way, I'll be glad to lend a hand.

The Colonel :cool:

Hello CT

can't wait for this lay out
Hey Ct thanks for the response. As you can tell from the previous post, there seems to be other people that share your opinion. I do want to thank each and every one of you for your kind words. I had no idea that this route would recieve such a warm welcome.
As a side note I have decided on a stopping point for both CSX and NS trains traveling east. Now as for trains traveling north and west that is still undecided.While the focus is the CSX A line from Columbia to Savannah, I do want the end user to be able to run all possible tracks in and around columbia SC.
At this time I'm currently working in columbia and heading east. Once I get to my stopping point, Then I'll turn around and start working North-South and west bound. I still haven't decided if I'm going to make all industries interactive or not. Well that's about all for now. Again I thank all of you for your interest.
RUN EIGHT
Sam:D

I admire your persistance, this route has got to be a ton of work!
Hey Euphod,
Thanks for the reply. You nailed that one. In creating this route I'm using very little selective compression. Which adds to the complexity of the whole thing. At this time I'm once again having to move and realign tracks and then structures. I know that this more work than is neccassary, as most have not even been to columbia, but I want every one to feel true scale railroading. My inspiration came from running several other routes where I knew the yards were just too small and cities just too close. Also I like using real time and not fast clocks, so if takes a CSX am crew an hour to switch three industries than I want the same for the user. When complete, I assume that I'll very versed in route creation. Again thanks
RUN EIGHT
Sam:D

missing text

Ok guys in the pic below is the NS and CSX bridges across the Congaree river going into columbia.In the second is the realignment that I'm working on. the third is the lead into the CSX industrial district.
CongareeRiver.jpg
Col.Realignment.jpg
CSXID.jpg

Last edited:
Amrail, Good start, but your track work can use a lot of TLC. Whats with that strange curve there before the road crossing? No locomotive ever made by man would negate such a curve. That is WAY too tight.
Other than that, your getting there.

That's Not a Railroad Track . . .

That's probably Knox Abbot Drive going from Cayce towards Columbia
across the Congaree River. It's a four-lane road that may look curved but it should
be straight (may be an optical illusion).

EDIT: Oops!! I may have spoke too soon. I just noticed the pictures off to the side.
I'm not speaking for Amrail but I believe he previously mentioned that there is
a lot of track work left to do. Maybe you missed that part......

I am a neighbor of Amrail and have lived here all my life.

The Colonel :cool:

Last edited:
Amrail, Good start, but your track work can use a lot of TLC. Whats with that strange curve there before the road crossing? No locomotive ever made by man would negate such a curve. That is WAY too tight.
Other than that, your getting there.
LV,
Thanks for taking the time to reply. To answer your question the extremely sharp bend in the track is how far out of alignment the track was. Where the switch is ( it's not connected to the grade crossing yet), that's where the track should be. I finally all got track realigned, so now i have to do the same to the structures.
Hey FIREFIGHTER DAN, I do plan to put rescue equipement on here. Also to ease everyone's minds, all the curves are gentle. The minimum main line switch is a No#6.
Col Klink> Knox Abott Drive is not going to make it on here, but Blossom street is as is Hugee st.
Again Guys thanks for the input and feed back- I do greatly appreciate it.
Run Eight
Sam

CSX WYE

Here is the CSX Wye in Downtown Columbia. The Wye is very much active. Norfolk Southern Doesn't use this as they have there own wye. The Line going straight through is Norfolk Southern line into the Andrew's yard.
CSXwye.jpg

Last edited:
CSX Industrial district

This is an airial shot of the lead into the industrial district in downtown Columbia.The Big blue building with the track going into it , is Carolina Coated Products, a shipper of coiled steel.
industa.jpg

CSX Industrial 3 way switches

Here is another airiel shot of the industrial district. Yes there are this many three way switches this close together and yes the track grouping is just this crazy.
industb.jpg

Back