TRS22 PE the ecstasy and agony

An official confirmation. Many thanks Zec.

It does, to my mind, confirms that N3V is not offering Trainz+ as an alternative to TRS22 PE anymore, but as a superior product. Shame. Maybe those who choose the retail version will be able to edit HD terrain in S2 in TRS24/25.
It is amazing to me how you and I share the same false memories. Maybe we should start using Archive.today to archive everything N3V announces to make should we have a copy.

No offense, But these memberships are not all that expensive. Keep in mind Trainz is still a business and we wouldn't have HD or TLR in beta without it. Allot of games are going to subscriptions or micro transactions to have steady income. I am happy to pay the subscription rather than a bunch of micro transactions. That's just my opinion. If you sign up for the yearly subscription, I think it's for a year, You get trainz 22 Ultimate. So you are getting something out of it. I think Trainz Has been pretty generous over the years.
I agree.

. . . a $70 membership sold in January will renew in one year at $70. Same for every month. Now memberships sales may rise and fall month to month so that is why you announce new features or special deals before months where large numbers of memberships might lapse. This entices the buyer to continue the membership because you don't want to miss out do you?
Sorry if I sound dense here but I really don't see the difference from N3V's point of view. A $70 membership sold in January will only renew for $70 next January if I decide to renew it! It's exactly the same as a new version with new features which entice me to spend another $70 next year. No difference for N3V at all as long as they continue to push each new version fowards with new, interesting features.

What it basically boils down to is that a subscription is a kind of up front payment, a kind of gift to N3V to allow them to keep working. I'm afraid that as a twenty plus year user of trainz, that level of goodwill no longer exists between us.

I found a rather interesting chart on the TRS19 faqs page. It shows that at the last Platinum Edition release the retail and subscription versions were feature identical.

Goal posts have been demonstratively moved.
At the time that the TRS19 Platinum Edition was released, the newest TrainzPlus update was the Content Store. The Content Store was made available, after a period of early access to TrainzPlus members, so as to allow us to greatly upgrade and improve the DLC system.

The following TrainzPlus update (trainzPlus update 4) added new effect layer tools, and the ability for effect layer presets, and this was a TrainzPlus exclusive until TRS22 was released. The next update, TrainzPlus update 5, added the initial version of Multiplayer Surveyor, and initial support for the TCCP2.0 system (this was then added to a TRS19 update).

TrainzPlus update 6 provided further MPS upgrades, in particular we made updates to allow us to add further content to MPS.

TrainzPlus update 7 introduced the first version of the water effect layer system.

TrainzPlus update 8 was the initial Surveyor 2.0 release.

TrainzPlus update 9 was alongside TRS22, and focused on further MPS updates.

As noted multiple times, TrainzPlus users gain early access to new features. These new features are intended for future retail releases, and are often fine tuned between their TrainzPlus release and retail release. If a particular retail release doesn't include features that interest you, then that is fine, we fully understand that not every release will interest everyone. This is also why we offer versions such as the TRS22 Platinum Edition, which add new features and content over the TRS22 standard edition, as this may interest those who otherwise weren't interested in the TRS22 standard edition.

However as has been the case since TrainzPlus was first released, the TrainzPlus versions will include new features before they become readily available. In some cases, features may change before final retail release based upon feedback received from TrainzPlus members, or based upon further development in Trainz.

In the case of MPS, the retail version is limited to a select few routes and has been advertised as such since TRS22 was announced. This is in part as we have continued development of the MPS system itself since then, as well as to monitor the data requirements for the MPS system in general.

Regards

Perhaps someone can clarify this for me, my understanding is that the current online price is in US dollars, so myself, who lives in Australia, will have to pay over $100 for the update to 2022 platinum ,although I live in the country that produces the product.
I already have the standard version of 2022, which I really only bought to support NV3 , I would like to see if S2 is any good, but as far as I can see, I am not only having to pay an extra $30 on top of the $70 to experience S2 , but in addition, I get no discount for having already bought 2022 (which I have hardly used in a year) simply to support the company thats now wanting me to pay an extra $100 to see if I like S2 ( as I have zero interest in any bundled routes so its purely S2 that would be the attraction).

Quite honestly it would have been a lot better from MY viewpoint not to have supported NV3 a year ago, although I suppose it was discounted , so, if I was to be philosophical about this , its not that bad a deal ( but only becuase I can afford it being quite well superannuated, I know a lot of my peers can't simply afford the extra cost . ).

Perhaps someone can clarify this for me, my understanding is that the current online price is in US dollars, so myself, who lives in Australia, will have to pay over $100 for the update to 2022 platinum ,although I live in the country that produces the product.
I already have the standard version of 2022, which I really only bought to support NV3 , I would like to see if S2 is any good, but as far as I can see, I am not only having to pay an extra $30 on top of the $70 to experience S2 , but in addition, I get no discount for having already bought 2022 (which I have hardly used in a year) simply to support the company thats now wanting me to pay an extra $100 to see if I like S2 ( as I have zero interest in any bundled routes so its purely S2 that would be the attraction).

Quite honestly it would have been a lot better from MY viewpoint not to have supported NV3 a year ago, although I suppose it was discounted , so, if I was to be philosophical about this , its not that bad a deal ( but only becuase I can afford it being quite well superannuated, I know a lot of my peers can't simply afford the extra cost . ).
Could always wait for TRS22 PE to be discounted.

As you have TRS22 already you don't need the PE version. Just take a monthly subscription of $7.99 for Plus or $14.99 for Gold. This will allow you to test S2.0 and if you select Gold you also get to see HD. You don't need to pay for more subscriptions if you don't want to.

Sorry if I sound dense here but I really don't see the difference from N3V's point of view. A $70 membership sold in January will only renew for $70 next January if I decide to renew it! It's exactly the same as a new version with new features which entice me to spend another $70 next year. No difference for N3V at all as long as they continue to push each new version fowards with new, interesting features.

What it basically boils down to is that a subscription is a kind of up front payment, a kind of gift to N3V to allow them to keep working. I'm afraid that as a twenty plus year user of trainz, that level of goodwill no longer exists between us.
A number of more unscrupulous companies make it extremely difficult to opt out of subscriptions. I have heard, but can't confirm the even Amazon Prime is like this.

As I've said elsewhere, I don't object in principle to the game engine and environment (Surveyor, Driver etc.) being available on subscription - this is increasingly the way that software is offered in the marketplace. However, I do object to content being made available this way so that if you end your subscription you lose your engines and rolling stock. It means we're effectively renting them and cannot own them. Bearing in mind that no additional development is going into DLC once it's published (will the wheels on the Mk1 coaches ever turn?) this seems exploitative.

Paul

You still have the opportunity to purchase any DLC you might want to keep after your subscription, just like anyone else. When your subscription goes, it will stay. And if you go gold, you get 25% off on all of it, and you get 3x rewards points to boot.

As I've said elsewhere, I don't object in principle to the game engine and environment (Surveyor, Driver etc.) being available on subscription - this is increasingly the way that software is offered in the marketplace. However, I do object to content being made available this way so that if you end your subscription you lose your engines and rolling stock. It means we're effectively renting them and cannot own them. Bearing in mind that no additional development is going into DLC once it's published (will the wheels on the Mk1 coaches ever turn?) this seems exploitative.

Paul
Yea, seeing the HST, Tornado and the Class 11, all locos that are in the official art for the retail release of TRS22 (launcher and loading screens) AND with Tornado having been completed at least 3 or 4 months prior to TRS22's announcement (it was Day 1 DLC on TS3 Mobile) not even being available as DLC for regular users hurts a bit.

I'm not sure if there ever was a disclaimer saying they were not included with TRS22, which if there is fine ok. But I just don't understand why it's Trainz+ Gold DLC for these specific packs. Whatever, I've said this before but they're still not available for me to buy unless I buy Trainz+, and considering this doesn't seem to change I might just suck it up and keep going on

Back