Trainz Content Creator Program, now online!

N3V. Just WHY!?!? How do you expect people to create payware for a game that makes Railworks look fun? I mean, come on, listen to the customers for once. Just fix the game, and people won't complain. Oh wait, you just care about the big BUCK BUCK BUCKS!

A business is a business and will look for ways to generate revenue. If you don't like what you see, vote with your wallet.

Valve do something similar in providing a platform for artists to create game content for one of their many source titles and receive a percentage return on sales. The response there being extremely positive. This effort is not to the same scale but it's very similar. Can you blame a creator of a payware grade locomotive wanting access to a more visible platform such as the Steam store? If I was producing payware, I certainly wouldn't mind the option.

Bare in mind however, this is optional. Creators don't have to use the service, and users don't have to buy from it. T:ANE will get better, with good hardware it's already alright. Another non-intrusive revenue stream will only help in the long term.

Less instantaneous complaining and more critical thought please.

Jack

Relax, everyone. There will be few if any takers. As one who was considering offering a DLC version of my route, there's no chance now. The 100% refund clause is a deal-breaker from the word go, as one refund can offset several sales. This is not a good deal for payware creators by any means.

Individual creators are still free to offer payware on our own, of course, as has always been the case.

Apologies - I never saw the second page. I was responding to an earlier post on this thread. Look at post #14 on this thread. Under refund and you will understand my comments better.

Ok, having read the user agreement, I've changed my mind. This is not a bad idea. It's OUTRAGEOUS. The creator gets 25% of the profits? Seriously N3V? Even 50% is nowhere near good enough. 80% or 90% would be better, but personally I would prefer something like 95 to 100% seeing as in most cases N3V will have contributed basically nothing to the creation of the asset, besides providing the game itself. And the refund clause is disgusting too, you really think people are going to sign up to this? This is the antithesis to the community based platform that Trainz started out as. What makes it worse is that N3V haven't even finished T:ANE and they're already finding new ways to generate $$$$ out of it. Start putting your customers before profit N3V.
The only upside to this is that it's so unfair nobody will use it. But still, the cheek of this when people are saying everyday on this forum what a mess T:ANE is.

Funny how N3V has nothing to say for this. I would like to enter into more detail regarding something Jackson brought up. Us content creators, reguardless of being route builders, modelers, DEM creators, re skinners, session creators or a script writer, have to, and I emphasize HAVE TO, put in countless hours, days and months of very hard work into assets just to get an asset Freeware quality in today's standards. 10x as much of this work will have to be put in to get it close to payware quality. My horizon project has been going on for quite a while, and nothing is final quite yet and I plan on it being freeware. Now tell me N3V, what did YOU do to benefit my Horizon? Sure you can say you made the gaming platform, but I could always make them for another sim. Or you could say you operate the forums in which I post updates. But believe it or not, this isn't the only Train sim forum, I could always go elsewhere. As for the asset creation, you did not do squat for me. I've had help from various people all around, mainly the guys at TEH who've taught me modeling and have gotten me where I am. So why in gods name should I or any content creator allow YOU, N3V, to benefit off of my hard work and dedication towards this project. As I recall, you live off of 3rd Party content creators like myself to provide for your sim. Also, does the proposition mean that ALL content submitted be made payware? If that's the case, tell me, will I have to pay 10 dollars for crappy old sketch up house?? You got me! Nice Joke N3V, now close this before the fanbois start taking you seriously.

I too, think you should close this. Not alter it, not "improve" it, close it. Admit it N3V, you have horribly misjudged the community reaction to this.
I can't help noticing that the ones defending this (naming no names) have been handed hefty paychecks in the past from N3V for payware packs and the like.

Apologies - I never saw the second page. I was responding to an earlier post on this thread. Look at post #14 on this thread. Under refund and you will understand my comments better.

No problem.

Ultimately, there are too many pitfalls and what-ifs in this DLC program. Content creators who want to do payware would be much better served selling it independently.

I too, think you should close this. Not alter it, not "improve" it, close it. Admit it N3V, you have horribly misjudged the community reaction to this.
I can't help noticing that the ones defending this (naming no names) have been handed hefty paychecks in the past from N3V for payware packs and the like.
True, they have horribly misjudged the reaction of about 5 people to this, but that's hardly the community.

It's also possible that the ones defending this have actually read and understood what it's about. In any case what does it matter anyway? If people don't like the idea then nothing will be offered for sale or if it is then it won't get sold. Why does it matter to you?

Paul

I'm not a fan of the specifics of the policy, namely the refund logic, however I have seen this type of platform work well elsewhere. It COULD be a viable option with better input and a more creator friendly policy.

I see the argument for maintaining sales of payware to unique websites, and this is fine as we know. But what this brings is access to significantly wider audiences such as the Steam community to your content. I'm just speculating, I could be completely wrong, however having access to a market with the user base the size of Steam is quite an appealing prospect.

Jack

Last edited:
tumblr_mcv0gs3lf01regdjso1_400.gif

I'm sure most savvy users will see this for what it is.
Yep, called it!
About a month ago, it was announced in the private Trainz Content Creation Program forum, where it was about to be tested, and I posted straight away that I could see it for what it was, and asked that my access to that forum be removed, as I wanted no part in it, and haven't posted in there since.

I believe I said it was obviously a way to farm DLC content (I was referring to that private forum area, and the announcement of this service suggested I was right).

They still haven't removed my access for some reason.

Nothing against payware systems, if that's what people want, but this is going to result in people thinking they can make a quick buck by uploading anything, and then getting upset when N3V reject it, etc, etc.

There's so much that needs doing to T:ANE to make it an attractive buy, and yet all their efforts seem to have gone into putting this in place.
And the argument about them needing revenue to fix the game doesn't wash with me.
Those fixes should already be in the price people have paid.

And the points brought up about free assets on the DLS being used to create money for others are valid.
Sure, that sort of thing happens anyway, but this system will entice more people to go payware, and will mean your free items are making more people money.

I think my days of uploading to the DLS are over.
I'm not the most prolific content creator, so it won't really matter, but I think they crossed a line.

I was hoping that they would turn T:ANE around over the coming months, but to be honest, I'm not sure I like where it's heading, and I'm tempted just to fade back in the background and enjoy TS12 with the routes and models I create for it, just for me.
You know, just treat it like a big unlimited train set, and have fun with it.

Brian.

Last edited:
I take it this is for Tane only ?. I did not see any guidelines or for what version this idea is available for in the OP's Post is all.
Cheers Mick.

I was hoping that they would turn T:ANE around over the coming months, but to be honest, I'm not sure I like where it's heading, and I'm tempted just to fade back in the background and enjoy TS12 with the routes and models I create for it, just for me.
You know, just treat it like a big unlimited train set, and have fun with it.

With you on that Brian! The only caveat being, as documented elsewhere we now seem to be finding many assets on the DLS being updated for TANE but not leaving an older obsolete version in place that works in TS12 either 49922 or 61388.

So TS12 with built in content only, or even back to TS2010 with all its resources seems a good path now - in my case uploading any routes to TS.com or make a rapproachment with UKTS and upload there, anywhere but the DLS!!

Back