Database Issue

So why does Repair Database spend so much time "caching obsolete assets"?
Obsolete does not mean unusable or useless. There are installed assets I use that are labelled as Obsolete, Newer Version Available but the newer version is only in a DLC package that I do not have or is listed as "Unknown Location". There are many users who prefer to use an older (now obsolete) version. So it is still important to cache assets that are Obsolete.

Good question. Is the obsolete asset obsoleted by something that you have, or by something that you don`t have? If it is obsoleted by something that you do not have, that is correct behavior, as one or more of your routes might need it until you do fetch the update. If, on the other hand, it caches an asset that has been obsoleted by something that you do have, there is no point in caching it.

@pware, you have that right, especially about some people actually choosing the older asset for one reason or another, except for the case where the asset that does the obsoleting is also present. In that singular case, the old one is never used, so there is no point in caching it. So does it get cached anyway, and if so, why?

except for the case where the asset that does the obsoleting is also present. In that singular case, the old one is never used, so there is no point in caching it. So does it get cached anyway, and if so, why?
It should be the users, not the caching code, that decides whether an unused and obsoleted asset will never be used again and can therefore be ignored. Users have a simple way of resolving the issue - delete any unused and obsolete assets that have been installed from the DLS - obsoleted Built-in assets cannot be deleted.

Fair enough, thank you, but is it ever possible to use an obsolete asset in the presence of the asset that obsoletes it? I don`t think so, and this was why I answered the way I did. Then again, how would the database manager know to cache an uncached obsolete asset when the asset that obsoletes it is itself removed? It would be possible, but the code would have to have more points where it could fail (i.e., it would be "more fragile"), and the gain would probably not be worth the effort to do so.

Anyway, I think we`ve answered the question well enough: because it might just possibly be needed some day, should the newer asset ever be removed.

Perhaps some sort of Archive feature when unused/obsolete assets that the user does not want deleted can be stored in a highly compressed format. If a downloaded route requires one of the archived assets or the user changes her/his mind then CM could (possibly) pull them out of the archive and restore them to the database.

Just an idle thought.

The database does not contain obsolete assets, the data folder does. The database searches the data folders to find all the assets that can be used and it is this data that the sim reads. The data folders have an original and local (modified) folder. The database checks both folders to make the database list. CM lists the data folder assets and not the database.

Good question. Is the obsolete asset obsoleted by something that you have, or by something that you don`t have? If it is obsoleted by something that you do not have, that is correct behavior, as one or more of your routes might need it until you do fetch the update. If, on the other hand, it caches an asset that has been obsoleted by something that you do have, there is no point in caching it.

@pware, you have that right, especially about some people actually choosing the older asset for one reason or another, except for the case where the asset that does the obsoleting is also present. In that singular case, the old one is never used, so there is no point in caching it. So does it get cached anyway, and if so, why?
For example, I wanted to have a small local train, but all those "cars" have disappeared, but then I found a nice double-decker carriage. Unfortunately, it had no motor so I looked for a matching loco and found one, but it has a missing/faulty asset. Not sure what it is - I didn't recognise the name and it drives OK - but there is a chance it will corrupt my entire game, so I suppose I'll have to get rid of it. So that means there is a double-decker carriage in the game that has no matching companions and I have to wonder why abolish one and not the other? I presume the missing part belongs to something else that is really obsolete, but that's the problem with wholesale deletion.

Perhaps some sort of Archive feature when unused/obsolete assets that the user does not want deleted can be stored in a highly compressed format.
I was playing with Content Manager earlier today and noticed at the top of the filter-element list named "Archived". I wonder what that means. My install currently lists nothing when the entire filter consists of nothing but Archived True. I also see no way to add the Archived flag from within Content Manager.

<kuid:522774:1152> Chicago Metro bi-level push-pull cab car
<kuid:522774:100035> Chicago Metro bi-level commuter car IV
<kuid2:522774:100035:1> Chicago Metro bi-level commuter car V
<kuid2:522774:100035:2> Chicago Metro bi-level commuter car VI
<kuid:522774:1159> Chicago Metro Bi-level Commuter car

<kuid2:130544:7585:5> DB763
<kuid2:130544:15007:11> DB-A
<kuid2:130544:15011:10> DB-cafe
<kuid2:130544:15008:11> DB751
<kuid2:130544:15010:12> DB757
<kuid2:130544:15009:10> DB752

I just checked my content manager and as you mentioned got the same result.
Just checked the Wiki and got no info at all.
I'm wondering if maybe it has somthing to do with the old .cmpa files?

I just looked in the data directories for anything that looked relevant. Result: Nada. Zip. Zilch. Nothing.
I did the same. Maybe this is something coming up on the horizon like many of the little things we're finding lately such as the broken DX12 settings and other things related to dispatcher but are not working when we see those when assigning or removing a driver to a locomotive in an active session.

Back