Database Issue

boleyd

Here we go again. There was a long pause in the ABITRARY deletion of assets that customers had used in their routes. I used to dread Monday morning since the censors seemed to apply their "adjustments" to process on the weekend. But now they have returned.

A route I have been working on for a few years (on & off) is now infected with red assets. The Content Manager shows them as now being obsolete. They were not obsolete yesterday!! I assume that one of N3V's upcoming updates can not process these assets, so let's get rid of them before the update is released.

Since it is not cost-effective to repair the now red assets, the customer must deal with it.

I`m not sure what is going on, but I just checked my Installed, obsolete filter. I don`t know how many I had yesterday, but right now I have 914 assets on that list. I`m not in a position to deal with it now, but I will have to do so when I can. How many assets show up when you filter for assets that are both installed and obsolete?

I`m not sure what is going on, but I just checked my Installed, obsolete filter. I don`t know how many I had yesterday, but right now I have 914 assets on that list. I`m not in a position to deal with it now, but I will have to do so when I can. How many assets show up when you filter for assets that are both installed and obsolete?
The Content Manager shows a complete disaster on my system with hundreds of assets now Available For Download. I would guess 74% of the assets are now mislabeled! I would NOT make any changes to a route under these conditions.

Last edited:
My guess is that only one server's database has issues. Since N3V is a different time-zone than their major market it may continue for awhile.

There doesn't appear to be anything off here. Frank_Dean updated a bunch of his assets if that's the issue you are having, a bunch of assets can be a lot depending upon your level of a lot. I have 24 that need updating, but other than that, everything else is fine.

I highly recommend making a backup of your database and then running an EDR due to your ongoing data issues that appear to occur daily.

Press the CTRL-key while selecting Repair database from the Developer menu item.

When the process is complete, check your faulty assets in Content Manager.
Select all assets with errors.
Right-click and choose View errors and warnings.

You will need to refresh the screen. To do this, change the view to something else and return to Faulty assets again.

If all is good, the errors will disappear. If there is anything leftover, you need to address this either by replacing assets from backups or downloading the assets again from the DLS.

Possible, and possible. Then too, it could be as someone speculated in another of the threads I linked to above and N3V pushed a bunch of updated assets in preparation for a new patch for the program.

@JCitron, that first item clearly isn`t the case for me: The authors of the affected assets are all over the map. Plus, like I said before, I have nine hundred and fourteen "obsolete" assets at last check. Something affecting multiple users is apparently at play.

What can I say other than there's nothing wrong here unless the system "fixed" itself. N3V no longer hosts their data in Australia like they did in the past. For some time, they used a Cloudflare host in Texas, or something like that, and now they're using Amazon's AWS servers located in the US.

If you have 1914 obsolete assets, then update them, or update one and see what happens. It's very possible there are 1914 assets that need updating. This happens when people make batches of assets such as Frank's track pieces, piles of ties, logs, etc., in fact I downloaded a bunch of updates the other day that weren't just a few and something like 100 or so logs and relations. You also went on a recent "download it all frenzy" and there's that possibility as well.

The OP has had constant "data has disappeared" issues for at least the past few weeks if not longer. He's got some other underlying issues that need addressing that IMO an EDR will fix.

That was nine hundred, not nineteen hundred. True about that download frenzy, but those didn`t install as already obsolete, as I chose "download", not "download this version", the assets were (mostly) not tagged "Newer version available", and content manager automatically upgrades the download request when you do try to "download" them (unlike "download this version", which I presume pointedly does not upgrade the request).

Also, as I see you have already noticed, there has been a spike in the number of new threads that all sound like a massive update of assets by N3V could be responsible. I don`t know what`s going on either; I`m just adding two and two and repeatedly getting five. When that happens, there`s generally something unknown afoot.

Edit: I took a closer look, and those 914 obsolete assets are all legitimately obsolete, being either built-in or packaged and thus not deletable. What I should have looked at is "Installed, out of date", which has *only* 358 assets listed. My other comments survive this change.

Last edited:
@JCitron, I tried one sample asset. <kuid2:302662:11054:2>, and it has versions :1 and :4-:7 on the Download Station. Of course I had to choose the biggest item on my list. The list was sorted from largest to smallest, and I called for the first item on the list without noticing. The version on the Download Station is 252.9 meg, and the one that I`m replacing is 177.0 meg. It`s downloading fine, but I expect it to take all night at an average speed of around 4.85 meg/sec. Gah.

Edit: You could be right about the OP.

I always select installed and out of date in CM. I then select all and download. Next, I select installed and obsolete followed by selecting all and delete them.
This leaves me with 2291 obsolete assets which are packaged, built-in or payware.

Thank you, @stagecoach. So the 358 I discovered today out of 43718 total installed assets would be highly unusual for you, correct?

Oops, it turns out that I had misread the tiny number; I only have 356 out-of-date-but-not-obsolete assets. Doesn`t really change much, I think. It still indicates something unusual has happened.

I`m not sure what is going on, but I just checked my Installed, obsolete filter. I don`t know how many I had yesterday, but right now I have 914 assets on that list.
Installed, Obsolete simply means that you have a more recent (updated) version of that asset installed in CM. To confirm this simply right click on any Installed, Obsolete asset (or Packaged, Obsolete asset for that matter) and select the option List Asset Versions. Chances are you will find one, the one with the highest kuid, listed as "Installed from DLS" (or "Packaged") without any other qualifiers.

Having an asset labelled as "Obsolete" is not an error by itself (barring any other possible faults) and you can continue to use an Obsolete asset without any problems.

I am experiencing no such issues on any of my CM installs. The number of Faulty assets has been the same for weeks (possibly even months) now.

Have any of you tried doing a DBR? Problems such as this are often (but not always) a symptom of a corrupted database.

Thank you, @stagecoach. So the 358 I discovered today out of 43718 total installed assets would be highly unusual for you, correct?

Oops, it turns out that I had misread the tiny number; I only have 356 out-of-date-but-not-obsolete assets. Doesn`t really change much, I think. It still indicates something unusual has happened.
Nothing unusual has happened. Assets don't get updated automatically so you could have hundreds of out-of-date assets. I do my checks at least once a week so I don't get that many out-of-date assets. Once all the updated assets have been downloaded I then list obsolete assets and delete all. Only DLC and Packaged assets can be updated automatically by N3V. You will find in surveyor mode in the settings window a box that says automatically download updated DLC.

Yes, I know that. You will please note that the Installed, Obsolete assets have been confirmed to all be Packaged or Built-in assets, and that the number of Installed, out of date, not obsolete assets (which I /should/ have been looking at), at 356, is apparently unusually high.

Of course.

A number of people have had enough such issues to the degree that they posted queries about it, all within hours of one-another. That struck me as unusual enough to take notice of it.

No, but the one asset that I have tested turns out to be a genuinely out-of-date asset.

I will run a database repair /after/ it finishes downloading, but I expect it to change nothing. As noted above, I did pick the single largest such asset for my test without being aware until later that it /was/ the largest, at a reported size of 177.0 meg, with a replacement of 252.9 meg. In addition, for the 24 or so hours preceding the discovery, I had done unusually few actions of the sort that might corrupt the database, and had no (other?) indications that it might be corrupted. I think that all 356 will turn out to be genuine, and recall no previous indications that I might have an unusually large number of them (though I must admit that I also don`t recall specifically checking for them, either). All of my downloads have happened since I bought Trainz22PE about a week before Christmas, too. That also suggests that 356 genuine out-of-date assets is unlikely unless an unusual number number of assets by a large number of different authors were uploaded at around the same time.

@stagecoach, your comments just now do not change anything I just wrote. Something happened, and I have several reasons to believe that an unusually large number of assets had been updated on the DLS within a relatively short time, as noted in my previous paragraph.

Installed, Obsolete simply means that you have a more recent (updated) version of that asset installed in CM. To confirm this simply right click on any Installed, Obsolete asset (or Packaged, Obsolete asset for that matter) and select the option List Asset Versions. Chances are you will find one, the one with the highest kuid, listed as "Installed from DLS" (or "Packaged") without any other qualifiers.

Having an asset labelled as "Obsolete" is not an error by itself (barring any other possible faults) and you can continue to use an Obsolete asset without any problems.

I am experiencing no such issues on any of my CM installs. The number of Faulty assets has been the same for weeks (possibly even months) now.

Have any of you tried doing a DBR? Problems such as this are often (but not always) a symptom of a corrupted database.
So why does Repair Database spend so much time "caching obsolete assets"?

Back