Article: Community Edition & T:ANE - Q&A

@rrfoose, you can set windows up to recognize both hard drives under the same volume, so yes in theory you could have a game on both hard drives. 16gb of ram is nice if you have a lot of games or do a lot of 3d modelling, but otherwise I have found that 8 is sufficient for everything else.

When do folks who've pre-ordered receive the 6-month FCT and the 2 DLC locomotives?

These will be delivered when the full product is released (Feb 27)

I pre-ordered the the standard mac version and I was wondering when I will get it and how?

Everyone who pre-ordered will be notified by email:
(i) When Community Edition is released (currently planned for Dec 10) - this will be digital download whether you ordered box or digital
(ii) Another email will be sent when the full retail version is available (Feb 27). Box orders will be shipped on or around that date, and the digital downloads will be available on that date.

I have a question when will trainz simulator 2 come out for android tablets?

It is currently planned that Trainz: A New Era will be ported to iOS and Android later in 2015. Unfortunately we don't have the resources to devote to port TS2 to Android. Perhaps if 90% of Android users decided to buy apps, there would be a far greater incentive to service the market (which doesn't help those users who do pay for their apps of course).

I plan on getting a laptop with two hard drives - one SSD for TANE and one (probably hybrid) for everything else. When it comes to putting a game on a SSD, I see some SSDs advertised as 128GBs x 3 or 4 w/RAID. I look at my current TS12 folder and see that it takes up 252GB, so I'm thinking a 256 would be cutting it too close.

SSD performance can reduce dramatically if you fill it up. The recommended maximum is about 75%. If you are above about 90% the game could be unusable regardless of you RAM or video.

Hi Phimat - short answer is because this is the "Community Edition" and is not "T:ANE". We are releasing this version so that thousands of people who would like access to T:ANE months before it will be released can do so IF they choose to. It is not compulsory.

So why "should" you? You don't "have" to - but you're welcome to if you like. Or, you can wait until the non-DRM box edition is released.

Btw, as a current beta tester, you are already using/restricted/authorised by the same DRM system as will be used for CE.

Let me be sure I understand this. My Internet access machine is quite primitive, as I only use it for downloads and email. My Trainz-capable machine is not in any way connected to the internet. Am I correct in saying that it will not be possible to download the files using my Internet machine and then install it on my Trainz-capable machine for evalulation and testing? Or does it mean that I can do so but it will cease running after 30 days without an Internet validation? Even Windows allows for online activation for machines without an Internet connection.

Sincerely
Lamont Downs

Out of curiosity, what is the status of the in-game physics tuning system? Is it going to be available in the community edition release? Also are the standard physics such as steam usage, fuel consumption, and power reasonably tuned to the point where if I decide to begin the update process on some of my engine-specs, that they wouldn't be rendered grossly over or under-powered by the time T:ANE releases in February/March?

Download one machine and copy to another is possible, but currently it will require an internet connection to authorise.

Multiplayer = yes
Physics tuning -> yes to using in CE (with some known issues). The update process will be interesting as we fully expect to identify then fix some issues that will therefore change performance of "old" specs. This process will be ongoing.

When you first released the beta edition you stated it was successful for 95% of the people that downloaded it. Unfortunately I was one of the 5% that was unsuccessful, but after submitting my computer specs I have heard nothing more. Will I be able to run the Community Edition?????

Peter

It is currently planned that Trainz: A New Era will be ported to iOS and Android later in 2015. Unfortunately we don't have the resources to devote to port TS2 to Android. Perhaps if 90% of Android users decided to buy apps, there would be a far greater incentive to service the market (which doesn't help those users who do pay for their apps of course).

<RANT>

Are you calling the majority of Android users Pirates? Or just still living in the fantasy that hardly no one uses Android?

- Android is the largest mobile device operating system in use, by number of users.
- There are more apps being bought and downloaded for Android then for iOS.
- Games in particular (which last I checked is what you're making) is the biggest revenue maker in the Play Store.
- Play Store revenue is only projected to rise, and over take iOS soon.
- Multiple 'big name' companies (I'm not going to list them due to time constraints) now show that more then half of their app usage is on Android.

A little more in response to the 'Android is only free' claim; while yes iOS still beats Android in revenue, that is going to change very soon. Part of the reason for this distance seen is that most Android paid apps are "Freemium" meaning the app is a free app and you can use it for free, but there are micro-transaction in place that are the really money makers. That being said I don't want to see N3V go in that direction. Whereas most iOS revenue is still from payware apps.

I really don't understand this 'nobody uses Android' high horse companies get. The facts just aren't there. If you want to have a successful app, regardless of it being Payware, Freeware, or Freemium; you need to keep it up-to-date when people start seeing that you're only releasing updates to one OS, or that game-changing bugs aren't being fixed (yes we can all read the comments) they stop buying/downloading; and you stop getting revenue from it. Mobile apps are like social media (which is another thing you guys don't do to well... hmmm) you need to keep doing stuff with it to keep people interested and using it.

</RANT>

Just please support Android, you really don't at the moment. You ported the iOS Trainz over once and left it. Simple things like having a sale on it (like you did a while back for the iOS) will help get people using your app.

peter

When you first released the beta edition you stated it was successful for 95% of the people that downloaded it. Unfortunately I was one of the 5% that was unsuccessful, but after submitting my computer specs I have heard nothing more. Will I be able to run the Community Edition?????

Peter

Based off my experience (again being in that 5%) probably not. :cool:

Oh Tony, when are we getting the particle effects showcased in your latest video?

peter

Peter

Would be nice if somebody from N3V could attempt to answer this question!!!!

Peter

Anyone receive their T:ANE Community Edition Email today as scheduled?
Inquiring as I have not received any available information or known bug listings.

Back