Trainz Asset Databse keeps updating

jacksonbarno

Alco Spoken Here
Something happened to my game because every time I try to open up CM TAD Daemon stops working and the TAD goes through its update sequence again. At this point Trainz is unplayable. Is there any way to fix short of a reinstall?

Be sure to not turn off your PC before TAD deamon has closed down. This usually does not take more then a minute.

I'm having this problem again and I recall that the Command-line repair didn't fix it. The TAD updating process always stops short at the checking faulty assets page. I've seen it pass 5,000 assets checked, but I haven't seen where it stops this time. I recall it not being a particular asset, but I'm not sure. Any help would be appriciated.

Make sure you have Show Database Processes checked in the Options panel under the Developers tab, and then go into Content Manager and run a QDR from there. Do this with nothing else going on with your PC so take a walk, play the piano, or nap while it's processing. :)

With the processes window, you can watch TADDaemon and see what it's doing, and running this in Content Manger, you can show details and get some kind of status of what's going on. If anything is hanging, or stopping, you might have a better indication of what's going on. I had some corrupted content that would hang Content Manager and when I ran a DBR, a QDR actually, the assets were left open for edit and couldn't be committed. When the repair process ran from Trainz its self, without details, I saw nothing but a system hang.

John

I ran a QDR last night, but this morning, the same thing happened. The only thing that was different this time was that the updating tab just closed out instead of crashing TADDaemon. I may force CM open to have a look at what is causing the problem, if it actually is assets that won't commit that are causing the problem.

If you can open CM and do a filter check on faulty assets without it crashing, then delete all faulty assets then come out of the game, wait for TADDaemon to finish then go back in and do an EDR. It will probably do another verification and TADDaemon normally counts down to 33 then finishes.
I did find that if I ran both the start menu and CM at the same time, this would stop the program from crashing out when validating the kuids, if one or the other should grey out just cancel it and restart it up again, and it should carry on from where it left off. But most of all don't work on your computer while it is sorting things out.
Once it has finished do another check for faultie's and if there are any delete them as well.

I used to have many faulty assets in my database, hoping one day to fix them, but after the validating fiasco, I no longer bother, I just try to fix one at a time and if I do not succeed, I delete it before running the main game.

I ran a command line repair just to see if it would work. I'm at the point now where TAD crashes now at the faulty assets stage instead of just closing out of the updating process without a teace. TAD always crashes for some reason or another for me, but I'm wondering what this problem is, as it's still the same one I've been dealing with. Is there a way to repair TaD?

I tried to do an EDR and TAD crashed halfway through

I've got assets in the editing folder, but I'm not sure about copytemp ones. I'l take a look. Should I remove these assets?

I would suggest moving these to a different folder (away from the Trainz folder) temporarily. If the repair is then sucessful, you can then re-import those assets if you wish.

Shane

I moved them to a separate folder, but TAD keeps crashing. I find this problem so puzzling, because there is absolutely no reason for TAD to be crashing at this point.

Running a QDR with the processing windows open reveals that in some places, the scriptlog can't "resolve a native link" between some scripts. Is this a problem? I assume it is, but how can I fix it if it is? It's still running, so hopefully I can see where it stops and why.

I moved them to a separate folder, but TAD keeps crashing. I find this problem so puzzling, because there is absolutely no reason for TAD to be crashing at this point.

Something must be really, really trashed to cause TADDaemon to dump out like that. You might want to try a second install of TS12 and import your data, don't just move the userdata folder because doing so will only move the problem with it. By importing the data, skipping over built-ins, this will help you vet out any severely trashed assets. I did something similar to this recently with one of my routes that kept crashing. I opened the route for edit then recommitted the assets. There were some that would not commit afterwards. These were the ones that I removed and redownloaded, or Imported from an older backup.

John

Wait, how would I import data from my old game, particularly my assets in the old game, to the new one without importing the userdata folder?

Wait, how would I import data from my old game, particularly my assets in the old game, to the new one without importing the userdata folder?

Do a new install to another path somewhere else like C:\N3V\TS12. Patch up the version to whatever you have currently. When all this is done, you then go to Content Manager and choose Import Content... from the file menu.

Choose your previous User Data folder in your old (currently broken) install, and let it run. There will be a message regarding overwriting content, which will apply to built-ins at the current time. Choose Skip-All and let it run some more. It'll take some time, if not a very, very long time to run especially if you have a lot of data. The import may even crash if it encounters corrupted data. If it does, restart Content Manager and let it continue. These broken assets may end up open for edit which you can delete and redownload/import from other sources, and you should be all set.

Keep in mind that your data may be validated during this import process, which will cause things to run slowly. Having said this, you might want to enable the Show Database processes prior to running the import so you can watch what's happening with TADDaemon and TrainzUtil.

John

Ok, installing a second install now. Lucky for me I saved the setup files for when I was going to re-install my second TS12 with SP1 on it. Now I'll have three installs on my computer. If I can get the first one repaired, maybe I could use one as a backup game incase the one goes under again.

Thanks a lot for the help everybody. Once I get everything back up and running, I will report back on how it went.

Here's an update: still getting everything installed from my local folder, but I did pause it to check out how the game is running. It's running a lot smoother, and CMP isn't crashing every five minutes. I still have yet to correct the first install then update that one to SP1 (oh god, that's going to be awful) so that I can use some of the newer content out there. If all goes well, by this weekend I should have a non-buggy Pre-SP1 version, and a hopefully-not-as-buggy-as-my-last-attempt SP1 version done.

Back