VR 2' Experimental Module Route - Suggestions welcome

Muliebuck

I've been experimenting with some 2' scale stuff, just to try my hand at it, and yes, I know it exists, I know next to nothing about how it 'all fits' - this is a 'test module' to gauge user interest in such...and is improbable (due to various reasons) for being released - ever. it is designed more as an 'experimental' module, and I'm throwing screenshots out there, to get user feedback and thoughts on it. Any advice, etc, would be greatly appreciated, as I've never really 'delved' into the whole NG side of Trainz...

muliebuck201203190005.jpg

muliebuck201203190000.jpg

muliebuck201203190003.jpg

Last edited:
It looks a bit big for VR narrow gauge. Most, if not all NG yards in Vic are rather small, maybe 2 to 4 roads... and alot shorter...

The scenery is, as usual, fantastic :) I suggest using the VR ballast texture beneath the track and adding some more hills and mountains...

Cheers
Stevo

Ta for that, as I said, I know NG exists, but how to properly 'model' it - I'm at a loss :)

*additional* main road, loop road, goods refuge loop/runaround road, goods loop/livestock loading point, from left too right, the track leading 'behind' the station, will eventually, lead too a engine shed with water tank/coal ashing/loading facility, etc, and also forms part of the wye. Of course, having always built in SG, I make things 'too long', but its just an experimental project. The track is never going to be released I believe, the station and other items are (I honestly don't know) may, or may not be released, etc... Of course, it'd be easy too 'convert' it back into SG mode...

Last edited:
...I use what I call 'the ten-car system' when building NG routes. I make the platform road long enough for a loco and ten NAB class pass. cars... and thats a maximum! my platforms are long enough for 5 or 6 carridges, with the platform road long enough for 8 or 9...

I wye may not be necessary as VR NG locos (Na class 2-6-2T) is perfectly capable of running in reverse. I believe Emerald is the only NG stop in Vic with a turntable, and that was installed after the preservation of the railway. All other stations had loops for the locos to run around the train. Try refering to the trackplan from Emerald Station. I would say that is a standard yard for the VR NG... Zec would know more than me on this...

...as for the release, the track will not be, but I believe the BFR items you are using from Victrainz are awaiting conformation to the DLS :)

Cheers
Stevo

Last edited:
Muliebuck

Why 2 foot? There is not much made for that gauge and I thnk most of it is either English or American. Why not use homegrown 2'6"? It still looks like narrow gauge.

Peter

Indeed it is, I had it, thought it'd do nicely, and can't for the life of me, find anything 'decent quality wise' to replace it with - suggestions most welcome!

Ta Zec, this was more a 'what the hell' type of thing, a way to push my mentally imposed barriers - now...if I can find some 2'6" stuff...:)

Mulie

Look on the DLS unde my username, anything with 30 and Vic in the name is for vic narrow gauge locos an stock. Also on Victrainz, I think they are half-decent. They will appear on the DLS when they have all been made industry active.

Peter

Last edited:
You name it, I got it from both, its nice work Narrowgauge, I'm particular taken with your CP (Catch Points) lovely work those things :)

Wow, Zec! Thats a very helpful site for me too! I'm bookmarking that one :D

Mulie, would I be able to post some shots of my VR NG route in this thread? It might help you a bit and would give me somewhere to put them! :hehe:

Cheers
Stevo

Please do, my NG aspirations have fallen off my mental radar, this was more an experiment, but I don't know enough about NG stuff to truly 'have a go at making it worthwhile' - already replaced the track and a lot of Narrowgauges stuff thats not released...

Pah, smaller gauge, with tight clearances, curvature, short yards, etc - I'm so used to making large, sprawling yards and such, not tiny little 100m long ones - so i got a lot too learn, and with no really 'decent' 2'6" track like the one in my screenshots, its only exasperating and irritating me further - everything I got is old 'UTC style' and is undesirable, or has what looks like pebble ballast, so really stands out something terrible.

I use the 750mm track from TrainzUP. Not on the DLS but, as we all know, the seperate track and ballast allows you to make 100s of combinations to suite your route :)

Cheers
Stevo

More pointless time wastage, this one very loosely based off the Trackplan for "Emerald" - those who know, will know where

muliebuck201203200001.jpg

muliebuck201203200002.jpg

Its all spaced too far apart, Mules. May I suggest fitting it all in a space about half the size of that... all packed together like this:
rbar164201203210000.jpg

Cheers
Stevo

Now your getting it! Maybe even smaller, unless thats a big, main station. Lovin the scenery! :D

Cheers
Stevo

Back