UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

Transparency of glass materials

I have made very good experience with a notex material like this:

glas.m.notex.jpg

m.notex materials will look different in TS19+ compared to TANE, although if you choose settings that look good in TS19 and use build 4.6 it shouldn't matter. The recommended material is m.glass (semi transparent PBR material), which I find generally looks pretty good.

WIP: Great Northern Railway brick signal cabin

Something essential missing?

16137-wip-great-northern-railway-brick-signal-cabin

16138-wip-great-northern-railway-brick-signal-cabin
First thing I say you may need to change the lights abit to this style
levers-in-the-signal-box-at-weybourne-station-north-norfolk-railway-K5WRPX.jpg

And most importantly the bells you forgotten too. By UK law and railway regs every signal box needs to have a communication bell as it's one of not thee most important thing in the box.

Blocks2.jpg

From left to right it's the 3rd item and the 7th. But yea I hope I've not been to hard on you Mike.

Last edited:
That's looking excellent mick. I've noticed with other signal boxes in TRS22 that the transparency of the window glass can be critical - often detailed interiors (and figures etc) can't be appreciated from outside because the windows are too opaque.
Yes, but too transparent and it looks odd - during daylight, interiors should be dark when viewed through glass from the outside (because they emit less light than they receive).

Paul

Very true Paul! There are some boxes like that where the brightly coloured levers are visible from miles away. It's a case of getting the balance right in the end. Good luck Mick.

First thing I say you may need to change the lights abit to this style
Sorry, but I disagree. I prefer the time period where the good old oil lamps are still in use...

And most importantly the bells you forgotten too.
Problem fixed...
Only some chairs are still missing.
I hope I've not been to hard on you Mike.
No, not at all, I asked! for constructive critic! As I mentioned, until now 99.9% of my assets are located in Germany, better central Europe. So I need the experience of you all British/UK guys.
Not very important, but please Mick :)

16139-wip-great-northern-railway-brick-signal-cabin

Sorry, but I disagree. I prefer the time period where the good old oil lamps are still in use...

Problem fixed...
Only some chairs are still missing.

No, not at all, I asked! for constructive critic! As I mentioned, until now 99.9% of my assets are located in Germany, better central Europe. So I need the experience of you all British/UK guys.
Not very important, but please Mick :)

16139-wip-great-northern-railway-brick-signal-cabin
That's great to hear mate as for the lights if you feel they are ok then that is fine. Currently I'm out so I can't send you more signal box pic but there is the token machine and the stove but once I'm back I will send you the pics

P. S I don't why I called Mike apologise about that

Last edited:

I will survive :)

I added some, if not the most important items to the cabin. Someone with historical knowledge might see two items which clearly identifies the time period before 1945

16140-wip-great-northern-railway-brick-signal-cabin
So this is what a Token machine looks like

200px-HYBNTokenInstr.jpg

These keys in the machine tells the driver he has the permission to drive on ether a single track section.

And depending how lucky you were you could have a small stove.
96Pmtg1KS0a8es4t3-EhE0KAjrHMgM10fIWVfcSt21L7WKoUW3QOk17nXRi46nGz4ivrxEQfErvKchIkxjZmdGR6p0XIx-8CWJZc5fM4

Or an oven type stove.

SAM_3148.jpg

I would personally change the mugs to this type,

the-coal-fired-stove-in-the-signal-box-at-sheringham-staion-norfolk-B2NMJY.jpg

I hope this have helped you.

That looks excellent Mick!

I wouldn't worry too much about minutiae such as the style of cups though - these are very, very small details that will probably go unnoticed. Below are screenshots of my own signal box and interior - the first is in Sketchup showing the model and the second is in game showing additional items I have added in Surveyor. Such items here include a stove, chairs, a desk and a train register. While quite basic and not very detailed (no instruments on the shelf, no lights, no pitched roof etc.), it gives enough of an idea as to what the inside looks like and allows for some screenshots to be taken without having a massive impact on framerates. I know some will snigger at that - who's someone who models in Sketchup to talk about framerates - but the fact is that my 'boxes do use LOD so the levers disappear over 50m and the boxes themselves are within reasonable levels on a densely populated route.

Kwxq0Uy.png

08iUsO3.png

Cheers,

PLP

That looks excellent Mick!

I wouldn't worry too much about minutiae such as the style of cups though - these are very, very small details that will probably go unnoticed. Below are screenshots of my own signal box and interior - the first is in Sketchup showing the model and the second is in game showing additional items I have added in Surveyor. Such items here include a stove, chairs, a desk and a train register. While quite basic and not very detailed (no instruments on the shelf, no lights, no pitched roof etc.), it gives enough of an idea as to what the inside looks like and allows for some screenshots to be taken without having a massive impact on framerates. I know some will snigger at that - who's someone who models in Sketchup to talk about framerates - but the fact is that my 'boxes do use LOD so the levers disappear over 50m and the boxes themselves are within reasonable levels on a densely populated route.

Kwxq0Uy.png

08iUsO3.png

Cheers,

PLP
I'm loving the sneak peak lol

Blue and white enamel mugs/tea urns are a 1940s thing anyway so inappropriate for Mick's era. Token machines may not be needed either if this box is for a double track mainline. The main thing missing is the track diagram that should be hanging above the lever frame.

Blue and white enamel mugs/tea urns are a 1940s thing anyway so inappropriate for Mick's era. Token machines may not be needed either if this box is for a double track mainline. The main thing missing is the track diagram that should be hanging above the lever frame.
Ah ok I didn't know what about the Tea things but regarding the style of the box iirc he did imply it was fictional but with GNR colours.

I wouldn't worry too much about minutiae such as the style of cups though - these are very, very small details that will probably go unnoticed.
But I do. I am notorious for give a d...mn about polygons:) I always write the number of the triangles into the config.txt. So everyone who suffers from polyphobia can actively avoid these assets.
And I always include the FBX, so anyone who feels to change it can and may do it...
Now I think it's enough, only added a level crossing wheel.

16141-wip-great-northern-railway-brick-signal-cabin

But I do. I am notorious for give a d...mn about polygons:) I always write the number of the triangles into the config.txt. So everyone who suffers from polyphobia can actively avoid these assets.
And I always include the FBX, so anyone who feels to change it can and may do it...
Now I think it's enough, only added a level crossing wheel.

16141-wip-great-northern-railway-brick-signal-cabin
That looks brill only thing now is a splash of paint on the floors and walls and yea I can dream happy hehe

Back