UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

Some nice TANE shots there Annie. I like the wintery scenes in post #6716, they look like today here in UK!

It must be quite a novel thing to run Trainz TANE in Linux, you've done well it appears, the only downside to TANE is you won't be able to install some of the newer creations made in TRS2019 and up. Hope you get your new Win11 machine soon!

Rob.
Thanks Rob. It's certainly been an interesting exercise get Trainz to run in Linux. TANE fell into place like it was meant to run under Linux all along, but Linux seemed to bring the worst out of TRS22 with all its usual bugs and glitches becoming more extreme. I won't be able to do anything about a new Windows computer until well into the New Year, but in the meantime I'm enjoying working on my projects in TANE. It makes a nice change.

Surprisingly I can run old favourites like the S&C at the lowest settings in TRS22 in Linux and everything works. No glitches, no derailments, run around your train works fine......

The poor old S&C is looking a bit second hand these days though.

SCgVx0R.png

Yea I would agree the SnC's getting a bit long in the tooth. I'm hoping for a PBR revamp of the entire package but I doubt something like that will come along, what with how much effort has already been put into such a massive project as this. Maybe when HD Terrain makes it into a full version, but I dunno. Still love the route, and I'm glad to see another shot taken in it!

Yea I would agree the SnC's getting a bit long in the tooth. I'm hoping for a PBR revamp of the entire package but I doubt something like that will come along, what with how much effort has already been put into such a massive project as this. Maybe when HD Terrain makes it into a full version, but I dunno. Still love the route, and I'm glad to see another shot taken in it!
From memory Alex (Tanker) has worked on giving the S&C a tidy up which made a big difference to its appearance, but of course it's only a clone of the route for his own personal use. The S&C is one of my favourite routes as well Andrew and despite its well worn appearance I still enjoy running trains on it.

This is the original S&C from Trainz Classic 3 running in Linux. A couple of years ago I purchased TC3 from Gamersgate for around $9.00. Best Trainz purchase I ever made. I wasn't sure if I could get it to run in Linux, but I ended up having no problems with it at all.
There's no comparison between that sad old lot in TRS22 and the original version of TC3.

tfnPQSo.png

BTkIMWN.png

Last edited:
To be honest TC3 seems to have held up alright looks-wise! I ordered it from Walmart yesterday, really hoping that it'll spit out a usable code unlike Amazon. Though I wish I jumped on the GamersGate listing...

Still I'm kinda impressed that it still looks relatively playable! Newer versions do look better no doubt but it doesn't look bad. Good to hear you got it working!

Even though S&C DLC has a lot of UK content it has no right to be nearly £20 on steam.
Where TS classic has it for £10 for much better detail I know they represent to different eras.
But still a DLC 13 years old or more needs to be updated at some point.

Even though S&C DLC has a lot of UK content it has no right to be nearly £20 on steam.
Where TS classic has it for £10 for much better detail I know they represent to different eras.
But remember it wasn't created by N3V. It was a classic in it's time but trainz has moved on since then. Many of the content creators involved in the team have moved on or died and there is little incentive to create it all again.

Cheerio John

But remember it wasn't created by N3V. It was a classic in it's time but trainz has moved on since then. Many of the content creators involved in the team have moved on or died and there is little incentive to create it all again.

Cheerio John
Yea that is true but it is a shame though

Decided to give Trystin in Winter" a re-vamp to get rid of the Billboard trees.
'Tristyn in Winter' is still one of my all time favourite routes. A difficulty with getting rid of the Billboard trees will be finding suitable seasonal replacements. The Billboard trees don't look too bad in TANE, but TS2019 does them no favours at all.

With the S&C route having been converted by N3V for use as DLC in TS2009, then TS2012, and after that TANE and finally TS2019/TRS22 with only minimal optimisation each time it's no wonder it's looking a bit rough with gaping voids under the track in some places and washed out colours. Every time I've thought that N3V are finally going to let it die they revive the corpse again and send it staggering off.

Back in the day the level of AI control that the original TC3 team were able to achieve was downright amazing and even now I don't think any route builders have been able to surpass that level of control. As John has said, members of the original TC3 team have either moved on or died and the chances of being able to assemble a competent team dedicated enough to completely overhaul the route are very small.

That said though I'm still going to keep on running trains on the route simply because I like it so much.

'Tristyn in Winter' is still one of my all time favourite routes. A difficulty with getting rid of the Billboard trees will be finding suitable seasonal replacements. The Billboard trees don't look too bad in TANE, but TS2019 does them no favours at all.
Thankyou for For your comment. I am using assets by RMM to see how it turns out. Just need to find suitable track to replace the old 2004 track.

Regards Dave.

Back