TRS22 PE the ecstasy and agony

When the subscriptions were introduced, Tony was at pains to point out that it was an alternative rather than a superior product. The retail version was a snapshot of the Trainz+ version, though of course that changed as soon as the next + update arrived. That was the deal at the time and a certain Star Wars meme involving changing deals comes to mind.
Good to know I'm not the only one that remembers that. Today, the quarterly release of Trainz Plus is called a retail product by Zec in his post. To me that means that those quarterly releases are fully functional versions of Trainz ready to be used by customers, not beta versions for testing. Those retail versions are vastly superior to the non-subscription versions.

I've always wondered about the whole "subscriptions are a stable, guaranteed form of income" argument. Really?

I would have thought that 69.99 in January for a full copy was just as good as 69.99 in January for a subscription, and that both would be better than 7.99 in January with no guarantee of getting anything in February. 🤔

I've always wondered about the whole "subscriptions are a stable, guaranteed form of income" argument. Really?

I would have thought that 69.99 in January for a full copy was just as good as 69.99 in January for a subscription, and that both would be better than 7.99 in January with no guarantee of getting anything in February. 🤔
I understand the argument from N3V's point of view, but the flip side is it becomes a stable, guaranteed liability for the customer.

I think I've indicated previously when I might consider buying TRS22 PE.
I am still considering it as well. I do like Surveyor 2.0 even with all the bug and the insanely tiny graphics that are impossible to see. I find that after a steep learning curve it does make things a lot faster but it is a paradigm shift from Classic Surveyor. However, as I sit here looking at my TRS22 that was updated to TRS22PE without my permission it does anger me that it was just too much trouble to ask if I wanted it?

I am still considering it as well. I do like Surveyor 2.0 even with all the bug and the insanely tiny graphics that are impossible to see. I find that after a steep learning curve it does make things a lot faster but it is a paradigm shift from Classic Surveyor. However, as I sit here looking at my TRS22 that was updated to TRS22PE without my permission it does anger me that it was just too much trouble to ask if I wanted it?
TRS22 is being updated to TRS22 PE at no additional cost? That sounds more like the good old N3V, though being offered the option, as you say, would seem to be good customer relations.

You have a subscription right? If you renew your subscription between 1 Sep 2023 and 1 Sep 2024, you have already bought it as part of the current deal. Check the PE page itself. No need for you to buy anything else.

The devil is in the details. You are correct but you must take into consideration the law of diminishing returns. A software product comes out in January at full price and for 6 months you can continue to sell it for $70 but the number of people buying is steadily dropping so your revenue is less each month. So to increase sales you drop the price to $54 and you get more sales. After year you are selling at $40. So on and so on.

With the membership, it is a time limited sale of one year. A $70 membership sold in January will renew in one year at $70. Same for every month. Now memberships sales may rise and fall month to month so that is why you announce new features or special deals before months where large numbers of memberships might lapse. This entices the buyer to continue the membership because you don't want to miss out do you? The cardinal rule is to never drop the price of the membership. As was pointed out, what value is TRS22PE if you have a TP membership. So is N3V really losing anything by selling the bundle for a limited time, not if it boost membership sales.

TRS22 is being updated to TRS22 PE at no additional cost? That sounds more like the good old N3V, though being offered the option, as you say, would seem to be good customer relations.
As long as your membership is active. I have a month to month membership that is active at the moment. The new features are simply activated by my membership. I assume that when I let it lapse, the new features become inactive.

No offense, But these memberships are not all that expensive. Keep in mind Trainz is still a business and we wouldn't have HD or TLR in beta without it. Allot of games are going to subscriptions or micro transactions to have steady income. I am happy to pay the subscription rather than a bunch of micro transactions. That's just my opinion. If you sign up for the yearly subscription, I think it's for a year, You get trainz 22 Ultimate. So you are getting something out of it. I think Trainz Has been pretty generous over the years.
Whether they are expensive or not isn't the debate.

Whether that expense fits in my budget is.

There is the launcher screen I was presented the day of the announcement.
So lets assume you buy a monthly subscription now for $7.99. You then have access in MyTrainz to download both Trainz Plus and TRS22 SP2. Install TRS22 and make sure it is patched up and it should magically show as my image when you start it. At least for thirty days. Consider it a trial. If you like it do the deal before the deadline of October 1st.

There is Surveyor 2.0 running in TRS22.

As long as your membership is active. I have a month to month membership that is active at the moment. The new features are simply activated by my membership. I assume that when I let it lapse, the new features become inactive.
Ah, gone to the dark side eh? ;)

With all of the noise about the subscriptions - I need a ruling on my Trainz+.

If I stop paying my annual Trainz+ subscription do I loose the use of the product I already have at the end of the subscription period? It has been my opinion that I do, so I keep paying.

By accepting the latest Beta update have I altered the subscription?

I only activate my membership when there is something interesting to see. So far this year that has been 3 months. Deals like the current one are the only ones that make sense to me. I have no interest in the DLC so $70 a year to access TP that is either stagnant with nothing but bug fixes or so buggy with beta builds that it is difficult to use is not happening. The current beta build has to compile shaders and precache content every time you open a new route. And after that some trees at certain distances from the camera have white flashing artifacts and shoot white lightning bolts across the sky.

Here is what using a beta build of TP is like. Jerky motion is partly due to this build not being optimized and I'm using Snag-it to capture it as it is easy to upload to Screencast from it.

This thread isn't about subscriptions, it's about the downgrading of the retail versions in relation to Trainz+.
From what I see, it is absolutely true that retail releases are downgraded. Surveyor 2 for example is what it was back in maybe December or January. That is likely when they began adding it to TRS22. It has less Scrapbook content included and Scrapbook is a major part of S2.0. The color effect layer feature is either not working or painfully slow. Paint the ground with it and then go to lunch and maybe it will be done when you get back. It works much better than that in TP.

Back