Show off your reskins!

Wait wait wait a minute

Ben, your saying you have never reskinned before? What about your C&AL Pacific? Didnt you skin that? Its like that except its a little more difficult.
A little is a big understatement. With a new model, you have a clean slate, no weathering, no text, no logos, you know where everything is, and if there's something that doesn't line up right you can make it line up right. By comparison, trying to take a finished texture, figure out how to get it back to the original bake, clear it out and set it up to put layers back in between the original layers is no mean feat. This isn't his first reskin either, but it's his first skin on a baked model where he didn't have the blank bake. That is not an easy task when you've never done it before.
...in fact, even if you have​ it can be a right pain sometimes.

Especially considering how the mapping for those gp30s is laid out. I reskinned one and it took me a few hours to get everything fixed so the lines matched up.

Last edited:
I still haven't completely figured it out, the stripes on one side don't line up because moving it one pixel up or down maxes it too high or too low. :confused:
But still, I figured most of it out. I still need to alpha some details and make new ones, but that's a long way off down the road after some of my current projects are finished.

-Ben

I still haven't completely figured it out, the stripes on one side don't line up because moving it one pixel up or down maxes it too high or too low.
Yeah. I tried reskinning Ben Neals 0-8-0 and when I tried putting a stripe on the tender, and the stripe on the back side was not lined up properly, and whenever i moved it up one pixel, it was still not lined aligned properly and same when moving it down a pixel again.

"Special" GS4
90e880a4555c5565effbfa69d01d0d70.jpg

California Western's 2 ex-Southern Pacific ALCo RS-11s, No. 61 and 62 climb a hill with a long load of doublestack container cars.
601805b054558493fb9229f2dad5b2f7.png

Saturnr

CWR 63, a chop nose RS-11 waits in a siding with the rest of the filming equipment, 2 Shortline Enterprises Coaches, and the V&T Caboose 10, often seen behind Sierra 3, in this case posing as a coach, with V&T Caboose 9 in cupola condition serving as the caboose.
637a0bf42dc31b46987ce46ba98fa57d.png

Your toolbar looks very similar to mine, Benjamin. Your reskin looks very nice as well. I love Rio Grande things. I must inquire as to if it has the D&RGW and power markings? Maybe a Moffat Green version with silver or dark grey smokebox? The Rio Grande has so many interesting variations.

Saturnr

Believe it or not not all D&RGW locomotives wore Moffat Green lol. This engine is completely fictional (D&RGW never had 0-8-0s like this) so all that is on it is the name and a number. (And a made up class, G8A)

-Ben

Believe it or not not all D&RGW locomotives wore Moffat Green lol. This engine is completely fictional (D&RGW never had 0-8-0s like this) so all that is on it is the name and a number. (And a made up class, G8A)

-Ben

Oh I know most locos didn't and that they never had any 0-8-0s, and if they did I doubt they would have been Limas, but since it is all imaginary that is why I figured make it the "stereotypical" Rio Grande locomotive. Like Southern painted most of their excursion era loco green and gold, or black and silver, and the D&RGW redid the K-28s into "old-fashioned locos", these 0-8-0s would look good in Moffat Green. Similar to most freight engines being polished up these days as passenger engines.

Saturnr

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

another year and the railroad decided that the plain text on the sides of the tender were not good and the entire fleet of S-23A 2-10-0 steam engines including the 5313 were sent back to the paint shop and the following result came in the form of the logo with the railroad name, note the double track steel girder bridge.

Last edited:
Lol, I tried to turn General into a GN predecessor locomotive for a project last year. But the nameplates couldn't be alphad due to overlapping mapping.

Since that didn't work I did a D-5 look alike instead! :p

-Ben

Last edited:
Back