Route Now Marked as Incompatible

boleyd

I had 2 copies of a route available for use or modification. Both disappeared from both the available routes menu and the content manager. I loaded a CDP with both the route and the session. It ran and finished with a large set of uncomprehensible errors.,

Only a few years of off & on work up in N3V smoke. I am not seeking some remedy. Just venting.

The only way that I can think of that this would happen is if you had developed the routes in a later version of Trainz (e.g. TRS22) and then tried to load them via .cdp files into an earlier version (e.g. TRS19)

Here are some questions:

1) Is this route your own route?
2) Is this route downloaded via the DLS or a 3rd Party website?
3) Is this route, a route that you have legally purchased via Trainz Store or via Steam?
4) What version of Trainz are you using to run the route?

I have moved to my back up Trainz 2022 which already had a copy of the route.

RE: Questions:
This is an MSGSAPPER route from many years ago.
I do not use 3rd party sites
Version: 123794 was used to run the route (when it was available).

I have another 2022 copy with the latest update (125409). It has all of the usual debugging errors which we have been cautioned to ignore.

It is sad that quality of the Trainz product seems to not be what it once was. The design has gotten away from quality to glitz. The ensuing complexity only adds to the customer difficulties. Any potential new customer seeing the large amount of forum content on issues might be discouraged from a purchase.

I have another 2022 copy with the latest update (125409). It has all of the usual debugging errors which we have been cautioned to ignore.

It is sad that quality of the Trainz product seems to not be what it once was. The design has gotten away from quality to glitz. The ensuing complexity only adds to the customer difficulties. Any potential new customer seeing the large amount of forum content on issues might be discouraged from a purchase.
125409 is a beta version, not the latest update (that will come after the beta testing has been completed). It is a beta of Trainz Plus, not TRS22. Like all beta versions it has bugs, errors, incomplete features and "quirks". Anyone who is not prepared to work with that, and report the issues they encounter, should not be using the beta versions.

I disagree on your assessment of Trainz and how the quality is not what it once was. Yes, Trainz today is more complex and offers far more options. This is driven by customer demand. No software product, especially not in gaming, can "stay in the past". My opinions.

I have moved to my back up Trainz 2022 which already had a copy of the route.

RE: Questions:
I do not use 3rd party sites
Version: 123794 was used to run the route (when it was available).

You have a beta version, which in order to troubleshoot, is supposed to show debugging errors. I highly encourage people to stay away from beta versions unless they are willing to deal with the bugs, the debugging messages, and are willing to report the errors so they have a chance to be fixed.

That said you can still run a plus version without all the beta stuff. It doesn't have the latest features, but it is more stable. Just go in to the update stream, and make sure it is for plus, but not beta. Keep in mind it is isn't updated as often as the beta version is.

Open the config file in Content Manager and update the 'trainz-build' to 5.0! This will change the compatibility from ?? whatever version of Trainz it's for to TRS19 SP 5 and higher.

*Remember to back up the config file before making any changes.

Open the config file in Content Manager and update the 'trainz-build' to 5.0! This will change the compatibility from ?? whatever version of Trainz it's for to TRS19 SP 5 and higher.

*Remember to back up the config file before making any changes.
This is totally how you corrupt routes and is 100% not recommended in any circumstance for any master copy or main build.

This is totally how you corrupt routes and is 100% not recommended in any circumstance for any master copy or main build.
I didn't know that!

I did mention to back up the config file first before editing, though. Optionally, the original poster could backup the entire route just to be on the safe side.

The asset build number (e.g. 4.6 or 5.1) not only tells Trainz which version it was created for (4.6 = TRS19 and above, 5.1 = TRS22/Trainz Plus and above) but it also tells Trainz which compliance tests to apply to the asset.

So if an asset with a build number of 4.6 (created for TRS19) had its build number in its config.txt file artificially "bumped up" to 5.1 then it would be put through different compliance tests which it would possibly fail and be rejected as a faulty asset. Likewise "dumbing down" an asset to a lower build number will have the same result - for example attempting to run a route built with HD Terrain and colour effect layers (from Trainz Plus) on TRS19 which has neither features.

The asset build number (e.g. 4.6 or 5.1) not only tells Trainz which version it was created for (4.6 = TRS19 and above, 5.1 = TRS22/Trainz Plus and above) but it also tells Trainz which compliance tests to apply to the asset.

So if an asset with a build number of 4.6 (created for TRS19) had its build number in its config.txt file artificially "bumped up" to 5.1 then it would be put through different compliance tests which it would possibly fail and be rejected as a faulty asset. Likewise "dumbing down" an asset to a lower build number will have the same result - for example attempting to run a route built with HD Terrain and colour effect layers (from Trainz Plus) on TRS19 which has neither features.
I remember you explaining this to me before! I should had kept it in mind.

Back