Unable to export to CDP

Just open your Trainz and go to settings/install. Make a note of the build number in the path window. Just find and copy the build folder and paste it into an external drive. If you need to reinstall Trainz the build folder will still be on your computer, it does not get overwritten when you install Trainz again. Open the new Trainz settings/install and change the path to the old build folder you made a note of. Do a DBR and you are ready to go with all content intact.

Yes, indeed. @Twowit2woo, I believe I covered that in my last two sentences, but @JCitron appears to have described it more plainly than I had. Thank you, @JCitron.

Edit: While I might have suggested slightly different details, what @stagecoach says is the easiest way I know to be able to restore your trainzbase in the event a reinstall makes it necessary. Had I known sooner why you were doing this, I should have suggested that myself. Indeed, I should have so suggested as soon as I learned. In my absence and my failure, @stagecoach filled in admirably.

Last edited:
Should that also include 'Modified' which you mentioned in an earlier post?
Yes, those too.

You have to be careful here. I found this out this morning in fact. If there's something wrong with your database, DLC content can show modified. If you have any of that content, you need to Revert those assets to original first. As I said, that was something I came across as I was archiving a route, content, and session a very short time ago.

Yes, those too.

You have to be careful here. I found this out this morning in fact. If there's something wrong with your database, DLC content can show modified. If you have any of that content, you need to Revert those assets to original first. As I said, that was something I came across as I was archiving a route, content, and session a very short time ago.
It doesn't like this way :(

Here's what I did:

The route and session were complete, i.e. perfect.

I searched for it in Content explorer so I could see both the route and the session.

I right-clicked the route and selected "List dependencies recursively"

In the new window that opened I selected a new filter called "Packaged" and set it to "False". This left me with DLS, Modified and TP. At this stage I also confirmed that nothing was "Open for Edit"

I selected all of the content then right-clicked and "Export to CDP". I did this for both the route and the session separately so I now have 2 files.

I uninstalled Trainz and deleted the original Build folder under c:\users <etc> then reinstalled Trainz.

I launched it and selected "File", "Import Content Files" and pointed it at the route.cdp first. It immediately errored with "Unable to open CDP file for reading"

The file is 2GB in size and I have plenty of disk space. Any other thoughts?

Just open your Trainz and go to settings/install. Make a note of the build number in the path window. Just find and copy the build folder and paste it into an external drive. If you need to reinstall Trainz the build folder will still be on your computer, it does not get overwritten when you install Trainz again. Open the new Trainz settings/install and change the path to the old build folder you made a note of. Do a DBR and you are ready to go with all content intact.
I appreciate that suggestion but I was hoping that I could just backup any new routes individually rather than the whole thing.

Back