Possible new computer in very near future

How come to run the same games members in other sim forums say differently?

Because they, like you, are advising them to buy much more capacity than they need. Fortunately, a lot of folks have figured this out.

[quote[But of course I’d have to use those as an example since you wouldn’t step foot in one of those bad ol’ hardware forums where they might tell you something you don’t want to hear.[/quote]

Fail yet again, and in just two posts no less. If you read a post upthread I actually suggested just the opposite; Here are my words:"It's not a bad idea to look at them but one really has to take them with a few grains of salt. Or, much more accurately, hold your nose as you wade up to your waste in bull....". See post #30.

Because they, like you, are advising them to buy much more capacity than they need. Fortunately, a lot of folks have figured this out.
They are? Where?

Do have a link? Who ‘s figured it out and with what sims/games would the high end hardware mentioned here be “more capacity than they need”?

Fail yet again, and in just two posts no less. If you read a post upthread I actually suggested just the opposite; Here are my words:"It's not a bad idea to look at them but one really has to take them with a few grains of salt. Or, much more accurately, hold your nose as you wade up to your waste in bull....". See post #30.
So would you take someone who actually has the experience with the hardware in question with “a few grains of salt” and take the word of someone who has absolutely no experience with the hardware as fact?

They are? Where?

Do have a link? Who ‘s figured it out and with what sims/games would the high end hardware mentioned here be “more capacity than they need”?

Right here. There's this whiny douche on that forum posting under the name conrail1 who's arguing about CPU architecture and how it runs MSTS, despite another user claiming his fossilized core duo runs MSTS fine. One of them, plainsman, even has the audacity to claim he got better results on his core-duo than his i7.

Sounds familiar.

Funny in another thread, the aforementioned douche is arguing with somebody else about the quality THEY perceive on their monitor. Also sounds like many a past argument here. Guess this conrail1 guess has the capability to enter people's minds and see what they see - better.
icon_rolleyes.gif

And there's another guy who has a fairly low-middle spec machine who claims to get 50-60fps out of MSTS. No need for the latest and greatest hardware to run an ancient game engine.

So would you take someone who actually has the experience with the hardware in question with “a few grains of salt” and take the word of someone who has absolutely no experience with the hardware as fact?
More and more, the sites which you cite as "reference" are refuting many of the very arguments you make here. Because those people have hardware AND software experience and some appear to have been in the game far, far longer than you. I am taking that conrail1 guy, for instance, with lots of grains of salt, though, since the crux of most of his arguments seem to be that investing in expensive, high-end hardware is the only way to go. Doesn't that sound familiar?

Last edited:
Right here. There's this whiny douche on that forum posting under the name conrail1 who's arguing about CPU architecture and how it runs MSTS, despite another user claiming his fossilized core duo runs MSTS fine. One of them, plainsman, even has the audacity to claim he got better results on his core-duo than his i7.

Sounds familiar.

Funny in another thread, the aforementioned douche is arguing with somebody else about the quality THEY perceive on their monitor. Also sounds like many a past argument here. Guess this conrail1 guess has the capability to enter people's minds and see what they see - better.
clip_image001.gif

And there's another guy who has a fairly low-middle spec machine who claims to get 50-60fps out of MSTS. No need for the latest and greatest hardware to run an ancient game engine.
Lol, I suggest you take a closer look at that thread and a few others at that site and see what was causing the performance issues with Bob’s i7 machine and MSTS, the video card.

I could possibly get Bob in this forum discussion if you’d like.

Now who the hell is taking things out of context, lol.

More and more, the sites which you cite as "reference" are refuting many of the very arguments you make here.
Where?

Because those people have hardware AND software experience and some appear to have been in the game far, far longer than you.
They have? I’ve been in it since the late 1990’s with actual railroad training simulators, how about yourself?

Now who the hell is taking things out of context, lol.

I'm taking things exactly as he wrote them. lol. :cool:

They have? I’ve been in it since the late 1990’s with actual railroad training simulators, how about yourself?
Computers? Since about 1981. I started as a kid with an Apple ][. Got into hardware and software, including circuit design. Built a lot of stuff (mostly microcontrollers and Apple stuff) as a hobby, but did a little business, some Apple hardware mods, etc. My first PC build (kinda) was around 1989, maybe 1990, when I replaced an AT mainboard and RLL controller. My first real ground-up build was a 386, I think around 1991-2. I did it because Wing Commander ran like a slideshow on my old 286 and WCII was due out around then and I thought I'd need more oomph. I also did a lot of...er, 'program debugging'...a lot... Then I got my grad degree in the field. I'm still a little involved in hardware (and I don't mean assembling a computer, I mean BUILDING ONE from chips, resistors, FPGAs etc.) and software, of course.

[FONT=&quot]I'm taking things exactly as he wrote them. lol.[/FONT]
If you did then would have seen the part where the video card was the problem and that the i7 does significantly outperform the Core 2.

Check in the MSTS section for more posts about this or come on over and ask Bob yourself.

Computers? Since about 1981.
So you’ve got a few years experience with Trainz (and nothing else) so you consider yourself experienced on what computer hardware runs train sims/games well?

If you did then would have seen the part where the video card was the problem and that the i7 does significantly outperform the Core 2.

Check in the MSTS section for more posts about this or come on over and ask Bob yourself.
]

The video card is not the issue. The issue is that the guy got great performance FOR MSTS on an old core duo.

So you’ve got a few years experience with Trainz (and nothing else) so you consider yourself experienced on what computer hardware runs train sims/games well?
Yes, I do, and I have experience with quite a lot of software and hardware - far, far more than you do, from what I've you've disclosed so far, and on far more levels than you do or have.

And, judging by your registration date here, at least half the folks here, if not a majority, have far more experience than you do with Trainz itself. Two of them just a few posts back.

Interestingly, they are just as critical of you and your (lack) of experience as I am, perhaps moreso. Doesn't that tell you something?

Did you not read the rest of his post? Or are to thickheaded to read all of it and only pick and choose what you want to read and hear?
Regardless he as far as time span goes has more experience then YOU. He has done more then trainz obviously from reading the paragraph he wrote and not just 3 words.
So because you sit there and go around to hardware forums and perhaps throw a few computer together for some people, which in all honestly a monkey can do IMO, and that makes you a pro?

]

The video card is not the issue. The issue is that the guy got great performance FOR MSTS on an old core duo.

Read, the 400/500 GTX series have issues with DirectX 7/8 games which MSTS is.

Go on and read the results from the i7 ATI 5870 that isn’t affected by video card issue and you’ll see what kind of performance the i7 was capable of compared to the Core 2 setup.

In addition Bob even admitted that his experience was only with the default routes in MSTS and that the Core 2 would not perform as good with a route like the Feather River.

Yes, I do, and I have experience with quite a lot of software and hardware - far, far more than you do, from what I've you've disclosed so far, and on far more levels than you do or have.

And, judging by your registration date here, at least half the folks here, if not a majority, have far more experience than you do with Trainz itself. Two of them just a few posts back.
What other train sims/games do have experience with?

My knowledge of Trainz and what it’s capable of goes beyond the game that you are running on your PC right now.

Did you not read the rest of his post? Or are to thickheaded to read all of it and only pick and choose what you want to read and hear?

Lol, did you read the rest of the post or the other ones that discuss the Nvidia 275/285/400/500 issue with MSTS?

I didn’t have to pick and choose what I wanted to hear, I was one of the first people to discover the problem to begin with.

So because you sit there and go around to hardware forums and perhaps throw a few computer together for some people, which in all honestly a monkey can do IMO, and that makes you a pro?
If a monkey can do it then why can’t you, lol.

Lol, did you read the rest of the post or the other ones that discuss the Nvidia 275/285/400/500 issue with MSTS?

I didn’t have to pick and choose what I wanted to hear, I was one of the first people to discover the problem to begin with.

If a monkey can do it then why can’t you, lol.
Apparently you do not know my career.

Read, the 400/500 GTX series have issues with DirectX 7/8 games which MSTS is.

Go on and read the results from the i7 ATI 5870 that isn’t affected by video card issue and you’ll see what kind of performance the i7 was capable of compared to the Core 2 setup.

Still immaterial. You're trying to shift the argument for the second time. Taking what Bob said, he claims gets good enough performance from his core duo, whatever the reason.

My '87 Camaro I had as a teen became a lot faster, in theory, when I dropped a 350 in it. Still didn't get me to work any faster.

What other train sims/games do have experience with?

My knowledge of Trainz and what it’s capable of goes beyond the game that you are running on your PC right now.

Lol, you have demonstrated anything but knowledge of Trainz or the needs of it's users. If anything, you've demonstrated a solid lack of same.

FYI, MSTS, X-Plane 9 (limited), FS4-FSX, and TS2010/12.

Still immaterial. You're trying to shift the argument for the second time. Taking what Bob said, he claims gets good enough performance from his core duo, whatever the reason.
It’s not immaterial at all because his i7 machine performance was being crippled by the Nvidia DirectX 7/8 issue with MSTS.

He’s also stated that he’s never had that demanding of a route installed on his wife’s Core 2 machine.

Do a search for the BNSF Scenic route in that forum and then tell me what those Core 2 users are getting for performance compared to the i7. Then take a look in the OpenRails section.

Lol, you have demonstrated anything but knowledge of Trainz or the needs of it's users. If anything, you've demonstrated a solid lack of same.
You’ll have to ask some of the people I’ve worked that actually know more about Trainz then you’ll ever know, lol.

Oh my....

Now here's a little tidbit for you IB...

IF someone say WERE a beta tester and HAD vastly more experience with Trainz beyond what most ran today, he/she would be bound by the NDA not to disclose that fact to anyone (especially anyone in the forums) so your claim "My knowledge of Trainz and what it’s capable of goes beyond the game that you are running on your PC right now." is complete and utter BS and not only do you know it but we know it. We aren't impressionable little 15 year old's like the ones you are used to impressing with your BS on those hardware forums...

Depending on long ago it was and what the NDA was for, take a look at the list of beta testers on the back of the TRS2004 manual.

Depending on long ago it was and what the NDA was for, take a look at the list of beta testers on the back of the TRS2004 manual.

Okey-dokey, look at the list of beta testers on the credit screen of TC3…

There, I called you and raised you

Your statement "My knowledge of Trainz and what it’s capable of goes beyond the game that you are running on your PC right now." implies knowledge beyond Trainz 2010. The reason I know it implies that is that everybody you're arguing with is running beyond 2004. (I will admit to running 2010 as my only version right now, notice I said admit)

Besides how do you know who is and isn't testing versions beyond 2010, 2012 or beyond?

You could very well be arguing with someone with vastly more experience and knowledge of what Trainz is capable of…

I'll reiterate what I said earlier, the people you're arguing with now are not as impressionable as the 15-year-olds that you dazzle with your BS over on those hardware forums. We're not as easily impressed, we're not going to idolize you, you really don't have any credibility with us, so if I were you I would stick to impressing 15-year-olds over in the hardware forums…

Because bragging about beta testing 2004 and then saying "My knowledge of Trainz and what it’s capable of goes beyond the game that you are running on your PC right now." would be a lot like someone saying "I know more about future versions of Windows than anyone else, because I beta tested DOS 2.1":hehe:

You just crack me up…

Last edited:
I only brought up TRS2004 because you mentioned NDA’s, I was also under another NDA that had nothing to do with TRS as a game.

As far as the impressionable 15 year old reference goes, could have fooled me.

I only brought up TRS2004 because you mentioned NDA’s, I was also under another NDA that had nothing to do with TRS as a game.

As far as the impressionable 15 year old reference goes, could have fooled me.

I mentioned the nondisclosure agreement because of your idiotic statement "My knowledge of Trainz and what it’s capable of goes beyond the game that you are running on your PC right now."

Because that implies knowledge of Trainz beyond 2010, since everyone you're arguing with in this thread has at least 2010 registered…

And for your statement to be true, you would be violating the nondisclosure agreement that you would've had to agree to, to have that knowledge…

I seem to remember a quote that goes something like "hoisted on your own petard." I think it fits really well with your statement.:hehe:

I went ahead and made bold and red the relevant parts of your statement just to make it easier for you to hopefully understand…

If you’ve bought Trainz over the last few years then you should know very well what’s in store for re-hash 2012, lol.

Come on you Fat Slob you should know better than that, lol.

If you’ve bought Trainz over the last few years then you should know very well what’s in store for re-hash 2012, lol.

Come on you Fat Slob you should know better than that, lol.

Aww come on you can do better than that...

You "claimed" to have all this vast experience of what's beyond what we have on our PCs…

I merely used your own words against you, pointing out the obvious fact that you're either in violation of the NDA or in fact making stuff up, and you resort to name-calling?

Where is the COC posse when you need them:hehe:

Back