New USA Mountain Shortline - Large Pics (1024 x 786)

A lone box car sits at the Iron City Sash & Door Company waiting to be picked up by the Vonny Branch local. Minutes ago, a shooting star grazed over head. Iron City is at the end of this forlorn branch.

IronCityLocal.jpg

Last edited:
Dusk on the Paint Creek Branch and yet another train load of logs are in the solid hands of 3 SD's heading for processing at Curry Mill. Note the iron bridge at the right that leads to the railroad crossing near the rear of the train.

PRRLeadAshtola.gif

A empty coal train on the Spruce Run Secondary has just placed some hoppers on the Hunters Ridge Mine spur. The train will continue on with the rest of the hoppers to the PBS coal mine at Millcreek.

HuntersRidgeMine.gif

The daily unit coal train is sounding the horn loudly for the Millcreek Rd Crossing. This crossing is on the Spruce Run Secondary.

MillcreekRdCrossing2.jpg

Wow.. That is Just Amazing Bill! Do you have a Name for your line instead of USA Mountain Shortline? Im just curious.
Cheers.
Sean

Wow.. That is Just Amazing Bill! Do you have a Name for your line instead of USA Mountain Shortline? Im just curious.
Cheers.
Sean

Thank you Sean!
Even though you will see locomotives from any rail line in America on my trains, the railroad is named Pennsylvania & Berwind RR. (On earlier postings of this thread are links to my timetable and essay "tour" of the line in PDF format, if you are interested in learning more about the line.)

You will see a mostly northeastern railroad mix more than others (PC, RDG, NW, PRR, WM, Chessie, etc).... But my railroad leases locos from other railroads so just about any reporting marks may be on any train.

Bill

Excellent, indeed! Very good, especially for a 'noob!' Please keep us updated. Your approach to this route is first-class, especially the attention to detail. Keep up the good work!

Darrel

I agree...you've done some fantastic work with this and it looks like a must download! :D Your route feels very alive because of all the greenery and attention to detail. Would I be correct to assume it's for '06?

Keep up the great work!

:wave:

Gisa ^^

Thank you Gisa and Darrel!

Here is the same train about a 1/2 mile beyond the crossing passing by an old small-operation farm.

FarmRun-bu.gif

Wonderful scenery, plenty of foliage...gosh that train looks great too...!

:cool: Hey Bill, I so hate to be picky, however as a former hay cutter, rake, baler & stacker, I suggest turning the "hay" windrow textures 90%, running basically along the fence row along the main line.

The reason is, the old farmer knows all the turning wastes fuel!

I notice the different road names, suggesting period power when sqare baled hay was made, or if they are trade-ins, today's round bales.

:cool: Hey Bill, I so hate to be picky, however as a former hay cutter, rake, baler & stacker, I suggest turning the "hay" windrow textures 90%, running basically along the fence row along the main line.

The reason is, the old farmer knows all the turning wastes fuel!

I notice the different road names, suggesting period power when sqare baled hay was made, or if they are trade-ins, today's round bales.

Good catch! Will have to before I release the route. :)

great route!:)

Thank you Donaldgatlin!

Have you or anyone been able to review my attempt at a timetable and essay "tour" of the route?

I have download links on earlier postings of this thread and was hoping to get some feedback on them.

Thanks again so much for your encouraging words everyone. :wave:

Have you or anyone been able to review my attempt at a timetable and essay "tour" of the route?

I have download links on earlier postings of this thread and was hoping to get some feedback on them.

Thanks again so much for your encouraging words everyone. :wave:
Bill: the documents are most impressive and show how much thought and work you've put into this project. However, the site they're hosted on is difficult to figure out and, well, a little risque.

I would be glad to host the files on my ISP's server. Send me an email if you're interested. Additionally, I would be happy to test drive the route before you release it. I've been around quite a while and would be happy to provide constructive criticisim and suggestions.

Darrel

Bill: the documents are most impressive and show how much thought and work you've put into this project. However, the site they're hosted on is difficult to figure out and, well, a little risque.

I would be glad to host the files on my ISP's server. Send me an email if you're interested. Additionally, I would be happy to test drive the route before you release it. I've been around quite a while and would be happy to provide constructive criticisim and suggestions.

Darrel

Wow.... You are right. The main site for easy-share.com does not have those types of ads - but I am finding the download area repeatedly does.

My apologies to everyone.

Last edited:
The Old Town Local has a short train today with only a few cars for Thompson Coal.

Here the train is seen passing Thompson coal in order to climb the hill to use the run-around track near the end of the spur.
OldTownSpurAscending.gif

Next, after running around the train at the siding at Standard, the local is easing back down the spur toward Thompson's.
OldTownSpurdescending.gif

Here the coal has been unloaded on the coaling trestle.
ThompsonCoalUnloaded.gif

And finally, the engines are departing down the steep grade with only caboose in tow off of the Thompson spur back onto the Old Town spur to head back to the yard.
ThompsonCoalSpurleaving.gif

Fantastic shots! The first one made it into my screenshots folder. :D

I can't tell because of the angle, but in the first picture, the road on the left looks twisty. Do you use the straighten track tool for roads? I can't tell if you do, but if you do, you might be able to smooth that curve. :)

Just a friendly bit of advice. Your route looks great...I can't wait to see more!

:wave:

Gisa ^^

Wow! It just keeps looking better and better. Keep up the great work, I really am enjoying your screenshots :)

Back