Master Map maker needed

Just to add to that...

I see you are only a couple of posts into the Trainz thing so....

You simply cannot imagine the level of dedication and passion it takes to complete a Trainz route. Long story short, if some-one had the drive and commitment to complete a project that size they would already be working on it. Anybody who doesn't have the drive and passion won't get it done.

Your best bet is to roll your sleeves up and get stuck in yourself. If your passion won't get it done, nobody else's will either...

3 things
1st. while i i admit that finding someone to do this will be hard (already have someone) it's not impossible.
2nd. in regards to the amount of posts i have made does not mean that i do not understand the time and effort and dedication and time it takes to build such a route, i have followed this game since 2006 and have played every trainz since i did have an account previous to this, which i lost both my password and username during my last computer crash.
3rd. Regardless of who is building the map i am playing a very active and integral roll in the building of this map, through informational means i.e finding the right of way using various tools at my disposal i.e websites, Google maps, Google earth, and documented ICC evaluation chart as well as referencing topographic maps from the 1950's, along with build blueprints obtained from the Friends of the east broad top museum in Robertsdale, pa through the help of Vagel Keller who has been kind enough to take time to procure these documents for me.
doing so allows us to properly chart routes, grades yard locations and setups use correct buildings bridges and tunnel styles, no to mention topographic accuracy of the land.
so without all this, in the end there is a high chance that the route would turn out inaccurate no matter a persons skill level.

I found a pretty good 3D 1000m track (36" = 0.944m).

The thing I found was that a track spacing that looks good on SG routes (4m spacing) looks kinda' wide spaced using NG 36" track, so I am moving my track spacing spline points closer, to @ 3m track spacing.

One could complete a route as a WIP in a month to 6 months ... and a final route with corrections inside of 1 year.

I am developing my techniques on curves, gradients ... etc ... so things may move along quickly from Sidling hill to Robertsdale ... then I will work my way back to Orbisonia/Mt Union.

Last edited:
oh and just to give you guys a heads up, i actually did find someone who's willing to do it for free, we're working together on the project and I've contacted the FEBT museum to procure tons of information, everything from grades, to building blueprints and ICC evaluation reports, and you just don't know how to use google earth very well cause i traced the whole thing in a matter of 45 minutes simply my adjusting the timeline viewer which reveals more of it through the years, also i am a constant browser of the internet for EBT information and anything that can help, leaving us with a few things, topographic accuracy, correct grading on the railroad, ability to 3d model all the buildings and bridges and tunnels on the line, along with rollingstock and locomotives, and proper yard track placement

And all this precision applied to a MicroDEM/HOG/TIGER DEM template, created in the infancy days of Trainz. Good luck!

I spy an advertisement...but don't ask me why and where :hehe: :p
Unfortunately, that's almost always the case when I make comments on geospatial resources and tools. I wish MapMaker was still around, and I'd feel less exposed. :wave:

Not an advertisement. Simply a fact. How you do Trainz is your business. But when the OP demands accuracy and settles for something less; well........what do you expect!

The East Broad Top RR is an excellent canidate for a TransDEM route. The mountainainous terrain will add much visual impact to the scene. However, there is little available information regarding track details; i.e. yards and facilities, as well as client industries.

really now not alot regarding the line track details yard and facilities?
http://www.spikesys.com/EBT/Tour/index.html boom one site has it all!

There are already 2 DEM's of the EBT RR on the DLS ... and I have trackcharts, gradient charts ... and tons of people here can give yo a link to a photo, and answers to any question that you can pose.

I have the Wrays to Coles tunnels area done, and am working my way East & West to Robertsdale, and Pogue ... then to Mt Union.

I'm running 25 car EBT hopper coal trains with one EBT loco, on a 1.90% grade right now.

Last edited:
There are already 2 DEM's of the EBT RR on the DLS ... and I have trackcharts, gradient charts ... and tons of people here can give yo a link to a photo, and answers to any question that you can pose.

I have the Wrays to Coles tunnels area done, and am working my way East & West to Robertsdale, and Pogue ... then to Mt Union.

I'm running 25 car EBT hopper coal trains with one EBT loco, on a 1.90% grade right now.

I think the point made by geophil and steamboateng was there are DEMS and GOOD DEMS data. With the new resolutions of USGS UTM data as a starter, a new TransDEM will be far more accurate.

and...
oh and just to give you guys a heads up, i actually did find someone who's willing to do it for free, we're working together on the project and I've contacted the FEBT museum to procure tons of information, everything from grades, to building blueprints and ICC evaluation reports, and you just don't know how to use google earth very well cause i traced the whole thing in a matter of 45 minutes simply my adjusting the timeline viewer which reveals more of it through the years, also i am a constant browser of the internet for EBT information and anything that can help, leaving us with a few things, topographic accuracy, correct grading on the railroad, ability to 3d model all the buildings and bridges and tunnels on the line, along with rollingstock and locomotives, and proper yard track placement.
(And On your prior post to this)
That's good Dude! You're research is indeed a large contribution to a prototype road, and generally takes a lot of the time, a great deal more than some who laze away in fantasy railroads are ever willing to invest in. So kudos. And partnering up with some others is a great way to spread the work and the fun, so doubly good. Don't forget all those photos and other industry information will be a build challenge for your time as well. Best to spend some time learning Blender and Gmax and the whole kit bashing part of building a prototype well before setting any unrealistic hopes of completion in place. Trainz is full of learning curves. Best wishes, but you should have emailed me back on pg 1 or 2. I'm booked now. // Frank

Hello BigBoy4014, sorry I haven't been on the forums in awhile or I would have posted this before. Happy to see some interest in this old ng rr. I think CascaderRailroad mentioned I was working on an ETB route early on in this thread. I've kind of taken a rest from trainz for the last year or so. Been working on some real life projects that are consuming most of my time but I still am determined to complete it. But not in the near future.

I am a life member of the Friends of the East Broad Top RR and I've accumulated lots of reference marteial about the RR and area around that part of PA. I have a complete dem map of the area in 10m resolution. Several maps actually as once you have the necessary data you can kind of spew them out in "minutes" so to speak. The trackage is in various stages of completion and includes all the main track, sidings, switch locations and the same for all the branches except the NARCO branch that was built in the 40's to replace the inclined rr to the ganister rock quarry on Jack's Moutain. The track is graded based on the actual grade profiles from the EBT ICC maps produced for valuation purposes back in 1919. Most people only see the set that shows the horizontal plan with all the curves, switches and other track side features dimensioned and located but there is a 2nd set that shows the verticle profile with track elevations, start, end and transitions for each section of grade. The one i have are copies of the maps in the Library of Congress not the set that the EBT maintained and corrected over the years. That set is now kept by the FEBT at the Robertsdale museum. So there are differences but I'm modeling 1920-30's period so it's a good resource for me.

The McKelvey Brothers had a ng logging operation for several years in the 1920's that ran south from Rockhill Furnace to the Fort Littleton area. They ran 2 3'ng shays and interfaced with the EBT just east of Orbisonia on the Shade Gap branch end of the the yard wye. There's a 4 part article in the FEBT Timber Transfers that describes it in some detail and has sketches of the main route at several locations so it could be recreated with some realism. Local tracks came and went of course but parts of the grade for the trunk line can still be seen if you hike thru the area. I intend to include it in my EBT route - sometime. There may have been a small mill there as I think they shipped both logs and cut lumber. Some more research is req'd before I do add it.

Speaking of resource material I don't know if this has been mentioned but the maps detatiling the horz profile I mentioned above (ones maintained by EBT over the years and now by the FEBT at the Robertsdale museum) are available on the internet. FEBT members (Vagil Keller IIRC was instrumental in accomplishing this) scanned the copies and posted then as pdf files. They are basically the files I worked from showing the RR as it was 1919 but they have some corrections and updates the RR made to them over the years. What's missing is the 2nd set of maps with the vertical profile and grade info. I assumed the RR maintained copies but I've never seen them.

Here's the link: http://www.railsandtrails.com/EBT/index.html

For my own EBT route I need to start making scenery models of just about everything unique to the EBT. Shop complex at Rockhill Furnace, all the stations, enclosed water towers, steel truss deck bridge at Progue, EBT's coal prep plant, timber transfer and the NARRCO brick refactory (primary EBT customer) at Mt Union, at least 1 ganister rock quarry and deep coal mines at Alvan, Woods and Robertsdale and tunnel openings for the Sideling Hill and Wrays Hill tunnels to name the 1st few that come to mind. I have a crude model of the concrete bridge over Aughwick creek that should be redone. Ben mentioned he made a few things - the roundhouse and turn table, the M-1 models and iirc the Ronks rd "bridge". There's a tourist era model of Orbisonia station. Whitepass made the 3 bay steel coal hopper Also my 4 repaints of a Whitepass ng coach for No 8-11. Still a lot of rolling stock to model and tons of scenery specific to the local towns and industries. Like with most maps there's a lot on the DLS that can be used to fill in temporally and premantly for much of the missing. I made my own ng track plus the std and dualgauge track required in Mt Union (EBT no 3 & 6 were sg 0-6-0 switch locos & leeferr's generic 0-6-0 when repainted is a close stand-in for no 3). The M-3, made from Nash (did they even survive into the 1950's?) auto parts, would be a nice addition to the list (it was just recently restored to running condition by FEBT members).

Currently I view this is a lifelong project for me and I get back to it from time to time. I work by myself on this route and I'll probably keep it that way. I'm not in a postion to help anyone as I mentioned. I do have a lot of info though such as scale/dimensioned drawings of most of my to do list abv.

Bob Pearson

Last edited:
There are at least 5 people all working separately on a Fishlipsatwork DEM that is on the DLS, of the Horseshoe Curve.

I assume that several of those persons are holding on to their work, so that it can be released as a Payware route ?

One kind person made me several DEMs that I have merged, from Johnstown (Packsaddle Narrows) to about 2 miles past Mount Union.

I am keeping my EBT DEM separate from my Horseshoe Curve DEM, as some people might not want a monsterous 20,000 baseboard lagging route, on their lower end PC's.

I still think that people should work together as a team, and all help get a route completed.

I would love to see some of your screenshots, and as soon as I get a little more done on my EBT DEM I may send it to you for review (it is the Fishlipsatwork DEM).

Most of all I think you would be a great team leader, and by you communicating via Skype, we can accomplish much more, than by working alone, on separate versions of the same identical route.

Skype is a great Instant Message communication tool.

PS: What is your: Trainz Tools Cad2Trk ?

I use TRS2006 in surveyor for tracklaying

Last edited:

Yes, that's it. It works best with 2004 and with 2006 I don't think there are any problems. You can either make a new starter trk file or append new track to the existing track file. With all newer versions of Trainz it outputs only a new trk fileas a starter route. Just like HOG does with the gnd file.

Bob Pearson

Yes, that's it. It works best with 2004 and with 2006 I don't think there are any problems. You can either make a new starter trk file or append new track to the existing track file. With all newer versions of Trainz it outputs only a new trk fileas a starter route. Just like HOG does with the gnd file.

Bob Pearson

why thank you so far we have orbisonia to rocky ridge why done, next update will include the northern segment as far as colgate grove and the clay pit and as far south as rocky ridge mine tipple giving us about 18 miles of mainline

well thank you fabar for your words of encouragement, it is our hopes to have the line finished over the next 4 months, and the buildings to be in within 5-6 with the locomotives to be coming in over the next 1-1 1/2 months as I have found someone willing to do a reskin of the sumpter valley 2-8-2 #19 which was based off of bendorsey's ebt282heavymikado and is of East broad top Design for the smaller Mikado's 14 15 16 while a third party East broad top 17 will be duplicated in order to make a reskin for the EBT's largest Mikado #18, sometime down the line (pun intended) I will have to find someone to fabricate a smaller Mikado to make #12 as it is much smaller than the rest by a considerable amount...so if anyone who reads this post knows how to design scratch built locomotives please leave me a private message if your willing to become part of our project and I will get you the needed data materials I.E specifications, pictures, schematics, and the like...I also have a config file which will be placed in all the locomotives when you are done, as I find it works well for all the locomotives since, for the most part they all sounded the same when it came to enginesound...despite small variations in pitch.

Last edited:
Good luck with that. I have been working on Marias Pass nonstop for a month now and I haven't gotten much done. If you want a realistic RBT your gonna need to learn to make routes yourself because to make a great route takes time,patience, and dedication. Other then my modeling and projects I would gladly help but am to busy.

Last edited:
The route(s) are in the works by at least 3 other people, we all need to find a way to join our efforts together, so that it is one route ... I am going to send my WIP route to RPreason and Bendorsey, and Philip114 asap, as well as many others.

Back