Multiple industry

llebrez

You operate the routes and sessions almost perfectly or to you satisfaction. One day you decide to add a commodity to the MIN, and when you try to open the menu where you can select the commodities, it is blank and shows no commodities. MIN still works as before loading and unloading any commodity. (You can see them in the menus). Further: I have several types of MIN's.. All the same! no menu! Go to config files and they look OK and nothing missing (Compared to old MIN I still have from 09 in another installation at other computer). How and why would this happen?

It also pays to go to CM and run a check on commodity assets. Choose Category and Commodity. Look for open for edit and also for missing dependencies.
With all the updating going on lately you will most likely find that is the cause.
Cheers,
Mike

Overwhelming answers, so thank you all.
1) Shane: Yes there is the red bug. It says the usual thread exception ER, line 908 and something about file baseindustry.GS(10)
2) The most obvious asset problem is that the 2.7 version is not supported. I see no missing dependencies on what I use for commodities (assets).
3) Related to builds and versions, I still (after all this years) don't understand why there are built with a number,(as 49922) and versions as 2.7. Can anyone make sense of what is related one to the other? , or make a chart of equivalents... I suspect that due to the SP's updates things have gone to the confusing side leaving poor souls here in the dark.(For what I red in the forums I am not the only one.
4) Let's say I have a problem such as the one I have now. The answer is that it has come out before. Indeed, I recall having seen this problem time ago. But the way the forums is set, there is little way to search by words, problems or related issues so we can go there directly without posting again the same thing. Maybe I am missing something, if so, please let me know how we can search.
5) I am sure the commodities problem is due to one being faulty. But after applying filters, and examining them, I see only exclamation signs and no missing dependencies, and the exclamation signs are for the 2.7 version thing. Now, peculiar is that I have many duplicated assets with the older KUID number and the ZZzz. These can't be deleted because the "delete" is grayed, but still show in CM.
6) Perhaps all this happened due to "updating" assets, so the route is clear without the exclamation sign (Indeed, I have no exclamation sign now in the route and session). My question, perhaps I am naïve, is: If I download the updates from DLS, how come some or one is faulty to screw the MIN system. Is there anyone at the other end making sure that DLS does not have faulty things..?

4) Let's say I have a problem such as the one I have now. The answer is that it has come out before. Indeed, I recall having seen this problem time ago. But the way the forums is set, there is little way to search by words, problems or related issues so we can go there directly without posting again the same thing. Maybe I am missing something, if so, please let me know how we can search

You are not alone with this problem. The forum search function is a source of frustration to many. The only reason I was able to come up with the two threads in my post above was that I knew I had responded in the past to identical problem posts from other users so I was able to search through my old posts using the keywords "multiple" and "industry".

Hi
Have you checked the list of known assets that cause the problem, from Shane's website?
5. You may find it is a dependency of a dependency that is faulty, so only my going down through the levels will it show up.
6. Most of these problems have come from the big update. There is nobody checking things that are uploaded.
The other thing to try is to choose Commodities in CM and Disable all.
Then Enable them 1 at a time till MIN stops working again. There could be more than 1 causing the trouble as well.
Once you find the culprit then check it out for faults as above. If you don't need it for a route either disable or delete it.
Cheers,
Mike

Overwhelming answers, so thank you all.
1) Shane: Yes there is the red bug. It says the usual thread exception ER, line 908 and something about file baseindustry.GS(10)
2) The most obvious asset problem is that the 2.7 version is not supported. I see no missing dependencies on what I use for commodities (assets).
3) Related to builds and versions, I still (after all this years) don't understand why there are built with a number,(as 49922) and versions as 2.7. Can anyone make sense of what is related one to the other? , or make a chart of equivalents... I suspect that due to the SP's updates things have gone to the confusing side leaving poor souls here in the dark.(For what I red in the forums I am not the only one.
4) Let's say I have a problem such as the one I have now. The answer is that it has come out before. Indeed, I recall having seen this problem time ago. But the way the forums is set, there is little way to search by words, problems or related issues so we can go there directly without posting again the same thing. Maybe I am missing something, if so, please let me know how we can search.
5) I am sure the commodities problem is due to one being faulty. But after applying filters, and examining them, I see only exclamation signs and no missing dependencies, and the exclamation signs are for the 2.7 version thing. Now, peculiar is that I have many duplicated assets with the older KUID number and the ZZzz. These can't be deleted because the "delete" is grayed, but still show in CM.
6) Perhaps all this happened due to "updating" assets, so the route is clear without the exclamation sign (Indeed, I have no exclamation sign now in the route and session). My question, perhaps I am naïve, is: If I download the updates from DLS, how come some or one is faulty to screw the MIN system. Is there anyone at the other end making sure that DLS does not have faulty things..?

2) - 2.7 assets should be supported, you must mean 3.7 if you don't have 61388. The relationship between the two is arbitrary, really. TSMac2 can also have version 3.7. This is called versioning in the software industry. The software as it is created will have various iterations of it. The way N3V does it it's kind of confusing, I agree, making this a bit more confusing to explain. In Microsoft for example, Windows version 10 is currently at Build 9926. This is the same as TS12 version 61388 being at Build 3.7. I hope I got this right.

4) Yes, searching within the forums is a mess, and always has been. This is typical of the vBulletin software and is not unique to the forums here. To get around this, I search outside of the forums using Google or Bing (mostly Bing). I put in Trainz: followed by the thing I'm looking for. More times than not, I'll find various posts and even archived forum messages on the subject.

5) The Duplicate ZZzz assets can be ignored. These are built-in assets that have been further updated. Those items, being replaced built-ins can't be deleted.

6) Perhaps yes, but I doubt it. Your CM should not allow you to download the up-versioned assets. You'll see them, but they'll turn red in the list when you try. I would check the faulty assets you have installed. In many cases, the fix is pretty easy like a missing icon or something spelled incorrectly.

John

John: In my 2), the line reads that the 2.7 is not supported. Curious that I use some assets with 2.5 and it does not show error!, or 2 for that matter. I am still at 49922, but in another computer I have higher number just to try (I am cautious). Anyhow, all the commodities show no errors other than the version number on some of them. But I found a line of "mesh-table is missing" on two commodities. I added it, and presto! everything works! .. Well, I learned something new. Not that I did not knew, but the effect of losing a menu of many assets because of two little details in one or two of them is not totally right. Thank you for the suggestions and observations.

Back