multiplayer Trainz organization?

for anyone who is still following this thread:

myself and Kelly88 caried out a test of the iportals yesterday (sunday), the test was a success however we have found it is neccessary to make sure everyone has the content that will be used on the route. (which i did say at the beginning)

the test consited of 2 intercity125s and a CN diseal pulling a rake of tankers filled with diesal.

Colinknapp

The test was also constructive because it highlighted to places on my map that put the imported trains in conflict with the AI units running in the background that forced his 125's to be routed through my goods loop instead of the station through tracks ( fixed now)

Today I will put up a list of my stock
anyone not having this can get it from The DLS or let me know and I can send it to them if the give me their E-Mail

Colin
You say your board is 3 long, maybe this is a bit short
mine is 13 + 6 ( 3 each end with the inbound traps, unconected to the route) and even with this I was running around like a blue fly to to sevice your input; although 1 rake of 125s every 3 mins was i bit of overkill
and you were only using the input at one end, if I had someone else imputting from the other end at the same time it would have been impossible for me to sevice them and muster units for the outbound; OK so it was a test and normaly there would'nt be such a big flow through

The traps at each end of my route worked fine
they are set to auto so come out proceed to a layby track and wait untill I sevice them, I can hold 6 consits at each end like this without affecting my main line
my output lines (2 one at each end are connected direct to the main line )

The other thing is the comunication, colin a I were using the iChat screen
but it take up a large lump of thr screen, maybe we should use Messanger or skype for this, but this would mean a 2nd computer running, no problem for me as I have 4 to select from, but what about you guys, have you this possibility ?

rgds

for anyone who is still following this thread:

myself and Kelly88 caried out a test of the iportals yesterday (sunday), the test was a success however we have found it is neccessary to make sure everyone has the content that will be used on the route. (which i did say at the beginning)

the test consited of 2 intercity125s and a CN diseal pulling a rake of tankers filled with diesal.

Colinknapp

Mike would it be possible to add a cheap video card to run a second monitor and thus run the chat screen there as well as consist notes train messages or what else. Many of us have updated to lcd screens, maybe the old monitor is still around?
Just a thought.
Really looking forward to see how you guys manage it
Cheers
Rod

unfortuantly a second computer or moniture isn't an option for me.

i did hope that someone might join the group who could program us a new unabtrusive chat screen, but until then the ingame messager will have to surfice.

colinknapp

Why don't you use what people use in MSTS for multiplayer (for chatting that is), it's a program called Teamspeak.

Mike would it be possible to add a cheap video card to run a second monitor and thus run the chat screen there as well as consist notes train messages or what else. Many of us have updated to lcd screens, maybe the old monitor is still around?
Just a thought.
Really looking forward to see how you guys manage it
Cheers
Rod

Like I said its not a problem for me , I have 4 active computers to hand and 2 more under the table somewere if I needed them, I ama horder
never thow anything away, boxes of mothermoards/video & sound cards, memory simms / hard drives you name it I will have it somewere

Why don't you use what people use in MSTS for multiplayer (for chatting that is), it's a program called Teamspeak.

never heard of it, will have to have a look, is it free cos some of the guys are not over endowed with cash

were can we find it ?

introdcing the new ITrainz Banner

introdcing the new ITrainz Banner, yes that right i've been slaveing over a computer for the last hour and have produced a banner for ITrainz

ok i know its not anything special but its a start!

Last edited:
Well at the moment it looks like you and me
no input from the other guys for a long time
Next week(wednesday) I have to go to england for 1 week ( maybe 2)
so I also will be just a shadow on the wall.

any way it will give the other guys time to come on line !!

introdcing the new ITrainz Banner, yes that right i've been slaveing over a computer for the last hour and have produced a banner for ITrainz

ok i know its not anything special but its a start!

Hi Colin and others,

only just picked up on this thread today, sounds great and I have a few ideas.

Why not have a pool of routes to choose from depending on the number of players available, at the start of the session it's decided which player takes which section of the route, and then tries to keep to the predetermined timetable for his section.

Why not base some sessions on real routes like Paddington to Bristol which is already available on the DLS divided into 8 parts, it would just need i-portals added to the ends, normal portals added to simulate lines to Basingstoke,Oxford,Wales etc, etc...

From what I understand you don't actually need to form a physical circle with the i-portals but a virtual circle, meaning equal pairs to and from the next person, so in the case of the above route the controller of Paddington might have 2 pairs of portals connected to the controller at Slough, and Slough would have 2 Pairs to Paddington plus 2 Pairs to Reading and so on, finally Bristol would have i-portals coming from Bath with normal portals for traffic to and from Wales.

Q. Now how does a signalman in the U.K. know how to route a train ?

A. By the train-code and the timetable.

Traffic could be spawned by the normal portals on each members section of the line where appropriate, named with just it's train-code, then the controller would have to route that train towards it's destination using that train-code and the timetable.

I do have one question, do trains keep their commands from one i-portal to the next like they can with normal portals ? If so the problem of the train's programming and final destination could be solved. Add invisible track to a corner of a board, but NOT connected to the rest of the layout, then duplicate the trackmarks present on all the other sections for all the possible destinations, then use the "AutoDrive to" command and in theory the train will continue to advance respecting signals and junctions until it reaches the specified trackmark, as it can't do that on this section, because the track with the trackmark isn't connected to the layout, it will continue to advance through the portal and the next until it does.

Have fun

Adrian 19

PS Paddington in 8 parts by widowmaker kuid #78581

i m not too sure that would work,

but as for your ideas about the prototypical route, that is the main reason for ITrainz, however it isn't neccessary for every one to do just one route, the only reason i said it is better to have one country at a time is because of roilling stock.

for example you could run what ever module you want, and you would be linked up to people who could be running entirly fictioanl routes.

To see if the iPort will carry driver commands with it is something we have not tried yet, but I bought this up before, next trial session we can try, I will give colin a set of route commands to send one of his through the system with out me having to program it, but I think as things stand its not possible because the track points and destinations will not be registered on his route so would not show to be selected; maybe this can be overcome by placing a dummy board on the route map and adding these markers too it, then they would be available for selection !

yeah but wouldn't an exclamation mark appear beside the driver moaning that he couldn't get to the specified track mark, or if you connected the track to the main line chances are he wouldn't even go near the portal!

Your probably right, but its worth the try !
yeah but wouldn't an exclamation mark appear beside the driver moaning that he couldn't get to the specified track mark, or if you connected the track to the main line chances are he wouldn't even go near the portal!

Last edited:
Hi Colin,

not if you use the "AutoDrive to" command, the train will keep driving forwards respecting signals, junctions and speed limits until it comes across the specified trackmark, it won't try to set a route to get to it, that's up to the operator to do, using PathTriggers or by doing it manually.

If the portals do carry commands across, then you'll need all the possible trackmarks, on all the layouts, otherwise if the train arrives on a layout where the trackmark doesn't exist, this could cause an error, or the command may just simply get forgotten.

It is important to use the "AutoDrive to" command and not the normal "Drive to" command.

Adrian 19

Back