Locomotive transfer from MSTS to Trainz

mbv67

Epoche IV
Hey mbv67 here, I wanted to know how to convert locomotives from Microsoft Train Simulator to Trainz with permission from the original authors. The reason for this is I wanted to try to convert The class 22's on the UKTrainsim site with permission. I know I will get negative comments and I originally made another thread about the class 22. :)

I want to convert the F59PHI but i have no idea how do it. Some people say that you have to change points and get new textures and stuff.

First you have to get the original meshes from the author in a form that you can import into some type of modeling program, then, (as I understand), you may have to do quite a bit of modeling work on the the mesh, such as adding attachment points and cleaning up polys, then you have to retexture the model in the modeling program, and you may have to make new bogies for it as well. Then you export it.

Are you up for all that? AFAIK, you still must have a working ability in GMax or another program, and it's not exactly a shortcut.

I'm up for the challenge and now I know what to do.....................for now. Thanks for the info Euphod.

You're welcome. I f I knew more, I would tell you, but I'm not a modeler myself. I've just read the question so many times...:hehe:

I'm up for the challenge and now I know what to do.....................for now. Thanks for the info Euphod.

If you're up for the challenge of learning to use a modeling program, I'd suggest forgetting about the MSTS models and focusing on building your own. Why bother doing extensive work on someone else's model when you can learn how to build your own? Once you have your own model, you'll have complete control of it and you can export it to whatever sim you choose.

Plus, my guess is that you'll have a hard time getting permission from many of the creators of these locomotives. Most creators are protective of their work, and I can certainly understand that. There are certainly exceptions, but there aren't many creators around here who simply hand out their meshes to whomever asks.

Either way, best of luck. Getting into the content creation game isn't easy, but it can be very rewarding.

Patrick

Thanks Patrick, you're right getting into the content creation game isn't easy the only ones i know of is G max or Blender. I don't have to do work on someone else's work instead make my own Class 22 using Paul's tutorials, making the correct Body size using the Diagram on the Rail blue site making different scripts,etc.:) It takes time to make a locomotive and again I'm still up for the challenge.

I think you could convert to Trainz with only minimal work, just seperate the bogies from the loco and convert those to Trainz, then write a config for the loco and bogies, and of course, make sure the textures used are applied and in the folder as well.

It's a little more Kaleb.

The process (I have done this before) is as follows to convert a model that was made in TSM.

*Convert all .ace files to .tga files (including the alpha channel of the tga).
*Convert the .s file to .3ds format.
*Import the .3ds format.
*Re-apply each material (takes me on average about 20 mins to do, seeing as the models I've converted had a large number of materials applied, which referenced about 5 textures). At the same time change the setting for 'faceted' in the material editor.
*Re-smooth all objects.
*Add basic attachment points (limfront and limback, bog0, bog1, and any others that are needed for basic testing)
*Save the bogie to another gmax/max file. Same goes for pantograph, doors, and so on depending on the model type and construction.
*Setup config.txt for loco, bogie, and any other needed assets. Reference temporary items for dependencies (bogie, etc) at first.
*Export loco to the loco asset's folder.
*Test in Trainz
*Now animated any animations needed
*Export all assets to respective locations
*Reference correct dependencies in the config files
*Test in Trainz
*Setup any extra attachment points and scripts, and so on.
*Test again

And thats the main steps for my conversion, on average. I also normally clean up the materials a bit, so as to make it perform a bit better, and reduce textures.

Zec

Thanks Zec, there seems to be a great deal of interest in converting models recently. It comes and goes in a cyclical nature, but at the heart of it is the desire to make content while skipping some of the "heavy lifting". From what I understand, and from what you have posted that is sadly a misconception.:(

Yes and no. The 'hard work' (making the model and textures) is done. It's just not as easy as may be first thought.

That said, this only covers converting TSM models. Models made using GMax or 3D Canvas Pro (or 3DSMax for the rare few) are much easier, when done in their native program. A GMax model could be converted completely within 20mins, I would think. Just a matter of changing ace files to tga and bmp files in the material editor, animating various bits, and splitting the meshes. But yeah, I would think 20mins, as there are no conversion 'errors'.

No idea for 3DCP models mind...

Zec

Yes and no. The 'hard work' (making the model and textures) is done. It's just not as easy as may be first thought.

That said, this only covers converting TSM models. Models made using GMax or 3D Canvas Pro (or 3DSMax for the rare few) are much easier, when done in their native program. A GMax model could be converted completely within 20mins, I would think. Just a matter of changing ace files to tga and bmp files in the material editor, animating various bits, and splitting the meshes. But yeah, I would think 20mins, as there are no conversion 'errors'.

No idea for 3DCP models mind...

Zec

Based on my experience with 3DCP, I believe it would probably be similar to the GMAX process you've outlined. I'd imagine there would be some trial and error involved in placing attachment points etc, but no doubt it would be easier than the conversion process mentioned for TSM.

Perhaps I was a bit too quick to suggest that building your own mesh from scratch is easier. This method certainly would be quicker, even with trial and error factored in. Getting permission is still an issue though, and personally, I think building your own mesh would be a much more rewarding experience, but that's just me.

Patrick

The most difficult part of the story, and it is an essential part, is having the permission from the TSM author of meshes and textures.
Without this pre-requisite, please avoid any works on this direction.
Respecting the works of other people is something we cannot pass over.
I am doing some conversion, with the agreement of the authors, and it could be useful in case of good made content.
Doing a steamer, as an example, can be frustrating a lot. Think about the need of redoing all moving parts.
Sometime what Zac condens in a short row of words become a many days works.
I suggest to avoid conversion until you don't know what you are doing and try to do your meshes and texture by yourself.
But, at this point, you can do your meshes and texture by yourself too...

Well I looked at who the author of the class 22 is. His name is Joe Bilton user name jbilton on the UK trainsim forums. It requires me to register on those forums but I'm not sure about registering on the forums. Any suggestions?:)

Well I've registered and now I'm waiting on Baily9531's Permission on whether or not to convert his model of the class 22 and Guess what else; someone from the other forums knows me. His name is Crimpsal.

Last edited:
There is no way to convert eng file to trainz. Trainz has completely different physics model. Also trainz has an analog of con file (kuid category "consist") but it contains kuids of vehicles not their names.

Back