GMax and 3DSMax (And any other modeling program) screenies/renders

Are you going to make a WP or SP one of those? Just wondering. LOOKS AWESOME!

Paul

Doesn't look like either of them owned this particular model. This one is Pullman Standard. SP's all came from Thrall, Pacific Car, or Greenville Steel. No clue on WP. Cotton Belt had them though.

Great looking model there, fits just about all Altbau E-loks. As a 3D man I have to ask: Is that within the limits of TANE regarding use of polys? If yes, I have a lot of stuff sitting on my hard drives which finally can see virtual light.

I'd love to see your models in Trainz! If you have any questions, you'll find my skype credentials in my profile (DE/EN).

I havn't heard about any constraints regarding poly count in TANE yet. Currently there's a warning message in CMP saying "Your low detail mesh has more than 500 polys…" but that is quite generic in the first place. My opinion is, that modern GPUs can handle > 100.000.000 polys/frame and Trainz can handle them too. I agree that you should not waste polys and watch the poly counter carfully whean creating trackside, plants or freight stuff. But Trainz is a railroad simulator so the focus is clearly on the trains - and they're very important. My "magical" limit for an engine is at ~100.000 polys with all parts (bogey, panto etc) included. Steamengines can have slightly more.
Because there is LOD (and it's currently getting more important for N3V) we can reduce our high-detail meshes for each step.

I haven't found out yet, if TANE will support LOD meshes for pantographs as well, but if so, I will create a low-poly version for far distance too. The current version has ~7.200 polys - yepp I know, quite an amout, but that is worth the experience ;).

Here's a screenshot of the final model (animated, mapped and textured) in the game:
73ff405a459f333f6ad3e869a9beb2e7.jpg

Cheers
Sachsenbahner

Every cloud has a silver lining...

Hyundai-Rotem North American electric multiple unit for suburban/commuter networks

(Not a SEPTA Silverliner V, however it can be modified to accurately reflect the Silverliner V)

Last edited:
@Sachsenbahner:

Good to read that I am not alone. My DSB MH shunter tallies at appx 85000 triangles all told. I might be able to prune off some 6000 of them, but the issue is not the number it is the feel of the model. Especially once you are up close and personal.

10553905_802304779812022_3278419762872387400_o.jpg

Something is missing.... somewhere in the big stack of parts, for reasons so far unknown, one single item screws up the export. What to do? Identify the main chunk and then take it by increments. Tedious but safe and it has the advantage that you catch the odd fliped normal in the process.

Back