Frustrated and disillusioned – a review of Trainz 2010

handlaidtrack

I don’t know if there are others out there with similar experiences, or whether I’m just expecting too much. Quite aside from the problems I had initially getting Trainz to work, it has so far been one frustration after another.

As my main interest is in creating my own routes to watch trains run, rather than in true driver simulations, I’ve only tried driving a few routes so far. They all had problems, and two of the three were unworkable.
In the Banks Heath scenario, there is a yellow signal a few miles in, that results in the message “signal passed at red, session terminated”.
On the Hawes Branch, after waiting ages for a signal to clear, I discovered that I was supposed to change the points myself to clear it. Then upon arrival at the junction, another driver was repeatedly running back and forth over the same turnout, preventing any further progress. Not that it really made much difference, as I’d already forgotten what I was supposed to do next. I don’t know why the driver instructions cannot be in a child window that can be slid off to the side of the screen out of the way, instead of reading once and then relying on memory.
The only other session I’ve tried so far worked reasonably well (if one ignores the cars driving through the train at crossings), but picking up empty gondolas from a scrap-yard, and replacing them with more identical empty gondolas is pointless. Come on guys – use loaded gondolas in one direction – this is the sort of error I expect from a novice route-builder, not a professional.

Now on to route-building; the reason I bought Trainz in the first place. At first glance, it appears to be a good system, and it was easy to place a few objects down randomly on the grid, but as soon as I tried to actually lay out something sensible, things started going downhill.
At this stage, I’d already completed the tutorial, and read the entire manual. Unfortunately, the manual leaves more questions than it answers.
  • How do I lay parallel tracks accurately, a known distance apart, especially when running diagonally across the grid?
  • How do I lay out an accurate curve of a known radius?
  • How do I fix tracks so they don’t move out of alignment when adding new junctions or spline points?
  • How do I create a yard, and join several closely spaced tracks with a simple ladder?
  • How do I group a set of tracks together and drag them around the map to get them in the right place?
  • How do I place two tracks close together without them joining up? This one was particularly annoying! Last night, I laid track in a small junction station and yard with about 20 turnouts, yet I had to undo so much that I have junctions numbered in the 300+ range.
  • How do Iadd platforms, bridges, and other things that need to be precisely located relative to track that seems to be impossible to locate accurately?
  • Where can I find a turn-table?
Most of the controls available are not explained. Of these, some don’t do what their name would imply, and others do not appear to do anything at all. Surely, they all have a purpose, but many are not intuitive in their operation, and need to be described in detail in the documentation.

Despite these problems, I have some track laid. The alignment is not perfect, but I suppose it’s passable for a first attempt. Now comes the need for buildings, bridges and station platforms. Platforms..., that’s a laugh. Station platforms are such an integral part of building a railway that I’d expect a button to do it automatically, or at least a range of track components that include platforms. owever this task is supposed to be done, it needs to be described in the manual or other documentation, along with such other vital topics as building tunnels, cuttings and embankments. I do remember reading something on the forum about digging tunnels, but how I’m going to find that again, I don’t know (see below for notes on the forum).

Oh yes, the documentation. The manual has 50 very small pages of information, with very few words per page, and covers a tiny fraction of what it needs to. Strike one!
About three years ago, I purchased a CAD package of similar complexity, which had a manual consisting of 174 large pages of small type and a gazillion diagrams! I was producing very complex high-quality drawings within a few days, but I digress.
Since the manual is incomplete, lets use the online help instead. The help system has a very impressive index of EMPTY PAGES! Strike two!
This leaves the users’ forum as the only means of answering questions... If there was a proper search capability, this may be a good resource, but there is no search facility, so finding out whether or not a question has been answered, involves reading through about a thousand conversation threads! The documentation strikes out!

So far, so good – yeah, right.
Now that it looks as though this will take far longer to learn than I expected, let’s go to the download station. I still have three days remaining on my first-class ticket, so it would be a good idea to download everything I want now. There are over 140,000 assets available in the DLS, so I should be able to get anything I need for my railroad designs, right? Wrong!
Obviously, most of the 140,000 assets are not appropriate for my areas of interest. With such a diverse subject as railways world-wide, it could not be any other way. The problem here is that there is no index. The entire collection is divided into a few sections (which don’t necessarily contain what they are supposed to), but that is as far as it is broken down. At the very least, each category needs to be searchable by era and region. Also, incorrectly tagged items should be rejected – or placed in a ‘trash’ file and not counted in the total until they are corrected.
Running the content manager seems to be a much better way of finding suitable assets, but even this has seemingly insurmountable problems. Even with the custom search facility, the program is still pretty much unworkable. CM redisplays the list every few seconds. Not only is the constant flashing highly irritating, but with long lists, the currently displayed items get moved out of the display window before I even have time to focus, let alone select anything. There needs to be an option to turn the auto-refresh OFF! The search algorithm is badly flawed, appearing to lack the capability to search for whole words. Eg; attempting to find locomotives and rolling stock suitable for “British Rail”; typing BR in the search comes up with tens of thousands of superfluous items like broomsticks, abrasives and candelabras. It also needs the capability to refine searches by running a second or third search on an existing subset.
Even after fighting through all these shortcomings to download assets, I have so far yet to obtain one that does not have a broken or missing dependency. Thus it looks as though I might have to use only the content supplied with the program. While I cannot speak for all eras and regions, those areas that I have looked at simply do not have enough appropriate content to create a believable route. Eg; I found a beautiful 1930’s CN passenger train, but there is nothing else appropriate for the same layout. There are also 3 Gresley pacifics, but no teak coaches for them to pull, and no freight or local-passenger locomotives appropriate for the same era and location. While it is not reasonable to expect everything to be available, I’d go so far as to say that if a region/era is going to be represented at all, there should be enough different locomotives to cover all traffic classes, and a representative selection of both freight and passenger cars.
For the three region/era combinations that I am particularly interested in, I’ve yet to find ANY suitable locomotives within the supplied content! There are some listed on the DLS, but as I’ve already pointed out, the DLS seems to be totally hopeless! I refuse to even think about paying for additional locomotives etc until I’ve got some value out of what I’ve already purchased.
With all other avenues exhausted, it now looks as though the only way I’m going to be able to get the cars and locomotives I want, is to create them myself. Now let me see, where in the documentation does it tell me how to do this?

Let’s assume for a moment that all these problems can be resolved, and I’m able to get enough trains to put together a coherent route set in a region/era that interests me, There are already far too many objects in the database, with no apparent way of organizing them. The railyard module supposedly provides this function, but from what I can see, all it does is allow trains to be flagged as ‘favorite or ‘non favorite’, which simply determines whether or not they are listed in the surveyor module. While this may work (just) for users with only one favorite region/era, it is useless for anyone with more than one area of interest. Even then, the various types of cars and locomotives are hopelessly mixed up; a problem made worse than it needs to be because of the complete lack of any sensible naming convention.
Of course, when it comes to the millions of different items under the ‘buildings’ menu, there isn’t even the capability to eliminate ‘non-favorites’ from the list.
With such a diversity of elements necessary to put together any route, a customizable index tree is mandatory. The most amazing thing about this glaring omission, is that the time and investment necessary to produce this relatively simple tool, would have been recouped many times over during the development of the routes supplied with the system!

Well, I feel a bit better now after being able to vent. Frankly, I’m almost at the point of deleting Trainz from my hard drive – but that would be a waste of $50! I sincerely hope that someone from Auran reads this, and that they take it into consideration for their next release.
:(

handlaid --

Welcome to the absorbing/frustrating/obsessional (cross out what not appropriate) world of Trainz.

I don't have a copy of TS2010, but if it's like earlier versions there will be a few pdf documents in the TS2010 folder that cover most of your dot points.

If you want smooth curves, you will certainly need templates. Search the DLS using "Curve Radius" and "Template" for starters. The one I use most is "90d_100-400m Template".

Using this it is extremely easy to achieve this:

Track_06.jpg

The white dots are the sections of track where I used the straighten tool in the track flyout.

Tell us how you progress. With the name that you are using we will all be expecting great things from you.

Phil

Okay, Mr. Grumpy... ;) Your money is not wasted. What you have is a very powerful computer program that is more akin to real plaster and plywood modelrailroad only with more features.

First of all I can answer some of these questions, which are all do-able and the answers to them have either been figured out by each of us individually, or someone else has posted the answers on the forums.

The other point I would like to make is that these questions, though they appear in with the review, should really be asked over in the Surveyor and Drivers forums (or whatever it's called). This is where your questions will most likely get the most attention.

Now on to your bulleted questions:

• How do I lay parallel tracks accurately, a known distance apart, especially when running diagonally across the grid?
There are track spacers available on the DLS for various widths of track space diistances. There are also fixed tracks that can help. These are fixed radius turnouts and track.
  • How do I lay out an accurate curve of a known radius?
There are fixed track pieces available at various radius that can be snapped together to form your curve that you want. Another approach is to place track space-objects, or fixed track pieces at a known distance and let the flex track in between determin the radius. There are also rulers in Surveyor to help in your measurements.
  • How do I fix tracks so they don’t move out of alignment when adding new junctions or spline points?
This is tricky to explain, but easily done. Place an additional spline point behind the turnout diverge then use the track straighten tool to straigten the track.
  • How do I create a yard, and join several closely spaced tracks with a simple ladder?
This I mentioned above. There are fixed radius turnouts available that can be used to layout your yard ladder if you want to use them.
  • How do I group a set of tracks together and drag them around the map to get them in the right place?
This unfortunately can't be done, or at least I'm not aware of this feature in 2010. It would be nice though, and the idea of setting up groups of objects has come up numerous times in the suggestion boxcar and other forums here.
  • How do I place two tracks close together without them joining up? This one was particularly annoying! Last night, I laid track in a small junction station and yard with about 20 turnouts, yet I had to undo so much that I have junctions numbered in the 300+ range.
When laying parallel track, use the shift key when dragging the tracks. This will keep the ends from connecting together.
  • How do I add platforms, bridges, and other things that need to be precisely located relative to track that seems to be impossible to locate accurately?
There are two types of bridges. There are scenery objects, like fixed tracks and grade crossings, and there are spline objects. Raising and lowering the fixed-track bridges is a bit tricky and involves both the object height adjustment tool, and or the leveling and raising of ground. This latter moved maybe necessary if the bridge-object can't be adjusted with the height adjustment tool.

Passenger stations can be interactive or not, and are scenery objects. The interactive stations have red arrows on an end of default Auran track. You place your station where you want it, and attach the track to the ends. AJS (Andi06) has made some wonderful invisible platforms and stations. These are used to turn non-interactive stations into interactive ones. These also have many added features such as platform height adjustment, width, angle, different walls, and platform surfaces.

Platform surfaces, are both solid scenery objects, or splines. The splines are dragged along like road and track, and have to be height adjusted to what you need.
  • Where can I find a turntable?
Search under the scenery objects for turntables. Andi06 made a really great kit. Our other content creators also made some really nice TTs as well.

Searching for content within Surveyor is done in tow fashions. Click on each category and browse. This by far is the slowest and least efficient, but it gives the end-user a chance to see what's installed. I will do this sometimes after I've installed assets from the DLS. I will then place the objects to see what they look like. If I don't like them, I will make note of the asset name, and delete it with CMP, or whatever it's now called.

The other more productive search is done through filtering content. The filter looks like a tornado-shaped button along the top of the file menu. Here you can type in asset names, authors, etc. Pull down the little arrows and choose your category. I've used this to search for trees. It even take partial words, although I don't know how to use quotes yet.

The DLS is a mess, and we admit that. This has been under discussion since I joined the forums back in December 2004. With TRS2004 initial release. What I find helpful is to browse the DLS with an Internet browser, and use CM to install the objects. This is easier in some cases than trying to see the smaller object icon view in CM.

I understand your frustration. This is a big program, and I hope I was helpful. The TS2010 user manual is probably still being written after the program's release.

John

handlaidtrack,

I have been at Trainz since 2002 and your points are well thought out and, in my opinion, correct. Yes there are ways to handle most of problems you have but the documentation of how to do those things is indeed sparse. Yes the forum and DLS search functions are poorly done.
Still I am very fond of Trainz. I have learned track placement and such by trial and error. I rarely try a search of the DLS as I only use built in content but finding even the built in stuff can be very difficult.
I have stayed with Trainz because it is the best train sim, I enjoy it and it is a great way to pass the time until Duke Nukem (takes) Forever comes out.
;)
Don

Experience solves the problems

As with any complex program there is a learning curve in mastering the items you listed in your posting.

True but it is more difficult than it should be in Trainz.
An idea I have come up with is a base board on which you place the stuff you find that you think you may want to use on any layout you may create. then attach it to the layout under development and get stuff from there. No need to search the list of stuff. After the layout is complete, remove this base board.

Last edited:
Here is a link http://www.replacementdocs.com/download.php?view.7350 to the Trainz 2006 manual that comes with Trainz 2009. Methods are pretty much the same even though the GUI has changed somewhat. The manual will help with most of the issues stated.

I use the CMP3.2 that comes with 2010EE and I also have,(must have), a FCT. Searching can be a chore if I'm looking for something very specific but for the most part, things go just fine. Reading the forums will reveal tips and tricks for finding stuff. For example, I was searching for steam engines and typed "steam" in the query box. I didn't find much. Then I typed in 0 4 0 and found several steam engines. I continued with various wheel configurations and download several engines.

In surveyor, looking thru the list of objects is frustrating. Clik in the title box at the top and type what you are looking for. It narrows the search down quite a bit. Unfortunately, some people like to put strange names on the content. For example.........a simple "shovel" might be listed as BHshovel. I will load a built in route in surveyor and look around for interesting items I may want in my own route. Using the query tool one can then clik on the item and it will be identified. I then write down the info on a notepad for later reference. A great deal can be learned from the existing routes by "taking them apart" in surveyor, just to see how things were assembled.

Good luck,
Randy

As with any complex program there is a learning curve in mastering the items you listed in your posting.

Quite true. However, I find TRAINZ (2006 in my case) a joy to use in relation to MSTS. Editing and route building in MSTS was an exercise in frustration. I have deleted it from my computer and given it to a train buff friend who has more patience than I do.

tomurban

Here is a link http://www.replacementdocs.com/download.php?view.7350 to the Trainz 2006 manual that comes with Trainz 2009. Methods are pretty much the same even though the GUI has changed somewhat. The manual will help with most of the issues stated.

I use the CMP3.2 that comes with 2010EE and I also have,(must have), a FCT. Searching can be a chore if I'm looking for something very specific but for the most part, things go just fine. Reading the forums will reveal tips and tricks for finding stuff. For example, I was searching for steam engines and typed "steam" in the query box. I didn't find much. Then I typed in 0 4 0 and found several steam engines. I continued with various wheel configurations and download several engines.

In surveyor, looking thru the list of objects is frustrating. Clik in the title box at the top and type what you are looking for. It narrows the search down quite a bit. Unfortunately, some people like to put strange names on the content. For example.........a simple "shovel" might be listed as BHshovel. I will load a built in route in surveyor and look around for interesting items I may want in my own route. Using the query tool one can then clik on the item and it will be identified. I then write down the info on a notepad for later reference. A great deal can be learned from the existing routes by "taking them apart" in surveyor, just to see how things were assembled.

Good luck,
Randy

Randy,

I learned a lot about route building, even came up with my own methods of doing things better than what I saw by doing exactly what you're doing now. I took apart routes to see how the "experts" did things, and applied their methods to my own. I wouldn't say that this process was instantanious, but it did work for what I wanted to do. In addition as I found better versions of ways of doing things, I've since gone back and redid sections over again on my big route to reflect the improved scenicking and track methods I've aquired.

In CMPx, it is possible to setup keywords for the different assets. This list will then be used to sort the content the way you want. One of the helpful data sorts that was default in TRS2004 and before was by region. The content was easily found by country, or even custom regions. This built-in method was unfortunately lost in later versions, but it can be emulated by adding a country or region to the asset keyword. These keywords can then be searched in CMx and in Trainz its self. Setting up the keywords can take time, but once it's done it's worth it in the end. Just remember to backup your keyword list however before reinstalling because it isn't saved with the content.

John

Of the three "big" train sims, Trainz Surveyor is actually the easiest to work in. Once you get the hang of working with the splined track it is actually quite intuitive. Hint: the "straighten track" tool is your friend. If you want to lay smooth parallel curves, in addition to the templates mentioned, you can also lay two sets of parallel "straightened straight" tracks at the appropriate angle then join the respective ends for a smoothish tangent. Use the spline tool for fine adjustment then the gradient tool or adjust spline height to incorporate desired gradients.

I do agree about the switching points as you go, even on a main line run. This for me is still the biggest drawback of Trainz - fine if you want to run a sparsely trafficked branch line or short line where you can be your own despatcher. Not such fun if you're on a multi-track railway approaching a large station or yard. Real drivers/engineers don't stop then scratch their heads as to which levers they need to operate to get across to Platform 15. The signaller takes care of that. I haven't got TS2010 yet (waiting for DVD version) but I'm assuming this aspect is no different to previous versions.

As I've said before, if Auran could add a decent autonomous AI despatcher and timetable mode to the game to complement the excellent route building of Surveyor, it would knock the other sims into a cocked hat.

As you have seen from the posts stuff is scattered in many areas from customer's heads to sparse documents. The above message:

Read the tutorials over at http://trains.0catch.com/tutorial.html - you will learn a huge amount from them.

is probably the best of the bunch. The DLS is messy due to authors faiingl to fill in the blanks. No one seems to know why they do not do this. Functionality is excellent in Trainz 2009. 2010 should be better. Goofy bright textures at sunset, etc. severly mar the landscape and vegetation is blurred. 2010 may fix this but messages seem to indicate otherwise.

You will need a few weeks of simply messing around with creating and dissecting to get comfortable.

Welcome to the club. Just be aware that you are not along in your flustrations. First of all, you have to accept the fact that TS200_ in not like any other game you might have had before. You have to spend hours and hours online searching for the answers to your many questions. From what I have learned by trying to vent my flustrations in the forum, I am an uneducated moron. Trainz will run perfectly on any computer if you just know how to make the adjustments and configuration changes in your computer and the assets in trainz. You just have to be patient and keep searching the forums for the answers. Eventually you will be as good at editing and configuring as the guys who started with TS2004. I also learned that any problems with trainz (if there are any), you should have know about before you purchased it. I learned that I was stupid for not reading and understanding every speck of information available on the program before I paid my money for it. I still don't understand how I was supposed to get to these forums before I purchased the game but that is what I was told. Another strange thing I learned is that I can have a problem, Auran is working to fix it, but other trainz players don't have the problem. I was having trouble trying to upload a route I built. I was told that Auran was working on the problem. Meanwhile other people was upload stuff to the DLS like crazy. It seems I was not one of the chosen ones or in the clique. I finally just gave up.

I am sorry I could not be more help other than being somewhat of a comfort to you in your time of need. I started with TS2009 only about 10 months ago so I am just as ignorant as you. Just join me in searching for the answers among all this jumble of information. You will get lots of people to help you here in the forums but you will also have to put up with the ones who make you feel stupid and ignorant for having to ask the question.

have 04 06 09 will soon have 2010 can all fit on new computer?
Provided there's enough hard disk space, yes. You'll also need to know how to switch downloads between the different versions (for T6 onwards run the relevant version's CMP beforehand).

John

have 04 06 09 will soon have 2010 can all fit on new computer?

Why not, as long as you have enough hard disk space. You can also have several instances of the same TRS/TS version on your PC as I have.

You might wonder why? I am a content creator, hence I have a bare bone version of the TRS/TS version I create for for fast start to see how my creation looks while creating and checking it.

I also work/build onto my monster route of over 200 base boards every now and then, this is on a different instance of the same version of TRS/TS I need for it.

Cheers

VinnyBarb

I think you are expecting too much too quickly. A touch of the "I want it all, and I want it now" mentality, if you don't mind my saying so. Have a good time exploring the enormous amount of stuff in TS2010, and don't get upset by one little hiccup in a session. I will sympathise with you on one point, that spline points snap together far too readily. I think the Shift key should be used to join spline points, not to stop them from joining.

I'll just touch on one other point in your list of complaints. There are absolutely beautiful Gresley Teaks available, made by Andi06, but they were made for an earlier version than TS2010. Maybe they have not yet been updated to work with TS2010. I'll be coming up against this problem as soon as I get my copy of 2010. But I'll get them working one way or another, and I'll have fun doing it.
Mick Berg.

I think you are expecting too much too quickly. A touch of the "I want it all, and I want it now" mentality, if you don't mind my saying so. Have a good time exploring the enormous amount of stuff in TS2010, and don't get upset by one little hiccup in a session. I will sympathise with you on one point, that spline points snap together far too readily. I think the Shift key should be used to join spline points, not to stop them from joining.

I'll just touch on one other point in your list of complaints. There are absolutely beautiful Gresley Teaks available, made by Andi06, but they were made for an earlier version than TS2010. Maybe they have not yet been updated to work with TS2010. I'll be coming up against this problem as soon as I get my copy of 2010. But I'll get them working one way or another, and I'll have fun doing it.
Mick Berg.

Thank-you Mick for the reply. Yes it may seem as if “I want it all, and I want it now”. In my original draft of the post, I qualified more of my statements, and also acknowledged the inevitable learning curve. Unfortunately, I had to trim it to fit the 10,000 character limit.
I will say that I want to get the DLS working properly before my FCT runs out in two more days. So far, I’ve yet to download anything at all that doesn’t have errors in it.

I’ve not just found one hiccup in one session; every session I’ve tried has had one showstopper in it. I’ve since tried all four of the set scenarios, and they all fail for one reason or another. I’ve already mentioned the yellow signal in Banks Heath that ends the session. The first RBR scenario has a red signal that never clears as there is an oncoming AI train also waiting for the same block. The second one displays the instructions for only a second or two – no where near long enough to read them. The last one doesn’t seem to allow uncoupling, which is rather fundamental for a switching puzzle.

Thanks for mentioning the shift key with placing track. If I’d known about that beforehand, that is one less thing I’d have had to complain about. If only the manual was complete...

Actually, I don’t really care about teak coaches for the Gresley pacifics to pull. I simply used that as an example of Auran supplying incompatible content. The Gresley pacifics did not make it into my favorites list, and teak coaches wouldn’t have made it either if they had been included.

Anyway, as I said, I just had to vent. I wasn’t even expecting any replies. Now that I’ve calmed down a bit, I’ll work on a short list of more specific questions. First, I’ve got to go through a more complete tutorial that has now been brought to my attention.

I found this thread extremely valuable. I try to make a habit of checking the forum everyday and whenever I come across a really aluable tip or link - such as the track-laying tutorial - I add it to my favourite links for Trainz and then the next time I have a problem, before going to the forum to ask for help I just check through my limks to see if there is a relevant one that will help.
Andrew

Back