End of Support for Anything below TS12

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's all a giant conspiracy against us guys. The reason they want people to buy new software is so they can inject their brain with DRM and track their locations and hack our credit cards and access our atm's and restrict our freedoms of speech and arrest us and detain us for no reason because they actually hate us and aren't just simply a business enterprise that needs money to continue to function and earn a living.

Nah, haven't you heard? Software companies are the exception to every rule on earth. People, corporations and even governments lie, cheat and steal for money. Some even poison the earth and some create worthless products like pet rocks. But, software companies are immune from this kind of avarice. Especially ones that make train sims. They are always 100% honest, noble and true.

But, software companies are immune from this kind of avarice. Especially ones that make train sims. They are always 100% honest, noble and true.

Well, yes, except for Microsoft. :hehe:

It's all a giant conspiracy against us guys. The reason they want people to buy new software is so they can inject their brain with DRM and track their locations and hack our credit cards and access our atm's and restrict our freedoms of speech and arrest us and detain us for no reason because they actually hate us and aren't just simply a business enterprise that needs money to continue to function and earn a living.

Consume
Be Silent
Die!

That's the free enterprise system for you.

Any person who has every studied marketing at all will tell you it is drummed into you over and over again that the life cycle of any product including software is only 5 years.

Well I think the download station would be better served if good content to 2.9 (that still works in TS12 under "current error checking")was continued to be uploaded, as it is of more use than ................

kuid:374064:100054
kuid:330145:100022
kuid:330145:100023
kuid:330145:100040
kuid:330145:100041

....... which are just the last 2 days offerings from creators of routes for 3.7, valuable space wasted on dross.

Any person who has every studied marketing at all will tell you it is drummed into you over and over again that the life cycle of any product including software is only 5 years.

True. I just had to replace a 20-year-old dryer with one even the commissioned sales reps say will only last 5, maybe 8 at best. Worse still, were I to fix the old dryer, the replacement parts would have been the same cheaply-made junk that goes into a new, craptastic product.

Unfortunately, enough people accept the whole "lifecycle" premise and, therefore, allow themselves to be played for suckers, that it ends up ruining it for those who aren't.

Last edited:
Well I think the download station would be better served if good content to 2.9 (that still works in TS12 under "current error checking")was continued to be uploaded, as it is of more use than ................

kuid:374064:100054
kuid:330145:100022
kuid:330145:100023
kuid:330145:100040
kuid:330145:100041

....... which are just the last 2 days offerings from creators of routes for 3.7, valuable space wasted on dross.

I thought these maps were for Mac users, Kev, this was one of the new ideaologies from N3V to allow as many ''customers'' to upload their creations to the DLS from the new versions of TS12 after all of the patches have enabled folks to play the game on their smartphones and other handheld gadgets, so, others can play with them, they probably wouldn't consider them as ''dross'' in that case. To disallow them from being uploaded would be detremental to N3V's business policy, especially, if they are attempting to attract new users, so, unfortunately, we all have to accept what goes onto the DLS on a daily basis, even if the vast majority of us think they look tacky and a waste of bandwidth space, someone's taken their time to share their work with others, for free, which is what the DLS is/was all about, prepare yourself for more of the same in the future, it is N3V's business model to make the DLS available to everyone.

Cheerz. ex.

Last edited:
This is something i looked into when i came back to the Trainz world, and this is what made me buy TS12 as i knew by the time i got up to speed on it all again TS209/10 would be unsupported, i only use Ts12 as TS10 doesnt like my computer, and TS09 is fine but with knowing the support had less than a year left when i came back it was a no brainer really.

this happened when TRS2004/06 got the chop, as mentioned it's how the games world work, if there's something new coming they have to limit or cease the support for older versions, with TS12 the newest version at present and TANE due in December-ish?? N3V cant support them all at one go, as the game is constantly getting new features that need the attention,

i always moved with the versions even when i left trainz for the time space that i did, i still brought the latest version. must admit im a bit wary of TANE at the moment, as i want to see it up and running before i part with my cash.

I just accept ending support is generally the way of Games

Chris

I thought these maps were for Mac users, Kev .......

Cheerz. ex.

Take a look at them, the pic shown under 'Asset Details' in CM shows nothing but a blank baseboard for 4 out those 5, a blank baseboard is not a route, by any translation of the word.

Yes, it's just a case of 'ignore', but it's galling that this can occur, when good creators stuff is not allowed, just because of a build number.

In defence of some route builders I believe the reason the picture of many routes look incomplete is because TS12 automatically makes a thumbnail of the route very early in its creation possible on the first autosave. If the creator does not change this (it can easily be done under edit route) then all we see is the route at an early stage of its creation and the picture does not reflect the true nature of the route.

However, if the creator cannot be bothered to change the thumbnail then their route probably is not going to be very good so is best ignored.

Good Evening All
A few clarifications here...

The restriction to content being uploaded to the DLS will only apply to new uploads to the DLS. As to when we implement the 'end of support' for DLS uploads for unsupported versions, this will occur sometime after the 31st of August (aka, on or after the 1st of September), however the exact day/time will depend on our work schedule (work on TANE will likely take priority over it).

This restriction is mainly due to these versions no longer having free DLS access and technical support after this date. It's not much good having new content appearing on the DLS for versions we don't support, and that can't access the content via the built-in download rools. It should be noted that we also do not ensure that the online functions of Trainz/Content Manager will remain functional after this time (so you may need to use the DLS website, if you have a First Class Ticket or a newer version in your account).

In regards to the Trainz versions themselves. They will continue to function as previously, however we will not be providing any technical support for them, nor will we be ensuring online functions (iTrainz chat, Multiplayer, and the 'Download Helper' tools) remain functional. Since we do not support these versions with Windows 8 and 8.1, we do not feel it is appropriate to extend the support for these editions, since more and more people are now using operating systems that these editions are not supported on.

Regards

True. I just had to replace a 20-year-old dryer with one even the commissioned sales reps say will only last 5, maybe 8 at best. Worse still, were I to fix the old dryer, the replacement parts would have been the same cheaply-made junk that goes into a new, craptastic product.

Unfortunately, enough people accept the whole "lifecycle" premise and, therefore, allow themselves to be played for suckers, that it ends up ruining it for those who aren't.
Yeah, we need some major pushback on this. (Dryers, used to be classed as 'DURABLE GOODS' --stuff with a life cycle of 15+ years, IIRC!) Seeing ZEC's post just tells me how little they listen to sense. Bull in the china shop syndrome.... // F
I thought these maps were for Mac users, Kev, this was one of the new ideaologies from N3V to allow as many ''customers'' to upload their creations to the DLS from the new versions of TS12 after all of the patches have enabled folks to play the game on their smartphones and other handheld gadgets, so, others can play with them, they probably wouldn't consider them as ''dross'' in that case. To disallow them from being uploaded would be detremental to N3V's business policy, especially, if they are attempting to attract new users, so, unfortunately, we all have to accept what goes onto the DLS on a daily basis, even if the vast majority of us think they look tacky and a waste of bandwidth space, someone's taken their time to share their work with others, for free, which is what the DLS is/was all about, prepare yourself for more of the same in the future, it is N3V's business model to make the DLS available to everyone.

Cheerz. ex.
Don't know it's a new ideology--been there from the first with the DLS--I've seen some pretty pathetic routes in the Black Pages, for example. There ought to be a community 'Please delete this from the DLS system'--ten votes or something from long time Trainzer's and it's rejected until it meets a community standards sniff test too.

Take a look at them, the pic shown under 'Asset Details' in CM shows nothing but a blank baseboard for 4 out those 5, a blank baseboard is not a route, by any translation of the word.

Yes, it's just a case of 'ignore', but it's galling that this can occur, when good creators stuff is not allowed, just because of a build number.

In defence of some route builders I believe the reason the picture of many routes look incomplete is because TS12 automatically makes a thumbnail of the route very early in its creation possible on the first autosave. If the creator does not change this (it can easily be done under edit route) then all we see is the route at an early stage of its creation and the picture does not reflect the true nature of the route.

However, if the creator cannot be bothered to change the thumbnail then their route probably is not going to be very good so is best ignored.
Haven't had the time to peek at those, but if they are substantial, why isn't there a human seeing if the thumb is acceptable? // F

Yeah, we need some major pushback on this. (Dryers, used to be classed as 'DURABLE GOODS' --stuff with a life cycle of 15+ years, IIRC!) Seeing ZEC's post just tells me how little they listen to sense. Bull in the china shop syndrome.... // F

Don't know it's a new ideology--been there from the first with the DLS--I've seen some pretty pathetic routes in the Black Pages, for example. There ought to be a community 'Please delete this from the DLS system'--ten votes or something from long time Trainzer's and it's rejected until it meets a community standards sniff test too.

Haven't had the time to peek at those, but if they are substantial, why isn't there a human seeing if the thumb is acceptable? // F

** Don't get me going on durable goods... Pianos last 100s of years, appliances used to last 35+years in some cases, and there's whole host of other good stuff that doesn't live more than a few years. I suppose it's the new consumer that likes everything shiny and new so no one bothers to make the goods last more than a couple of years.

** We've discussed voting on content before but then there's that old saying "what is someone else's trash is another's treasure". I do agree that a good voting system/ranking system would work. This could be built into Content Manager, but linked back to the asset's own rating system on the DLS. If people really like an asset, they could click a "rate me" button. With enough votes, this could be classed as a top downloaded item with the popular votes. This would prevent bulk downloads from being counted such as those caused by routes gathering dependencies.

Anyway this is topic for another thread.

** The thumbnail thing... Oh I just discovered that myself not too long ago. It's pretty bad when things like this aren't documented in the program its self and need to be discovered. Oh I'm sure it's on the Wiki, and most people wouldn't think about checking the Wiki for something like this. Perhaps there could be a "route-building" package that lets the user find or create a thumbnail for their route should they choose to upload the package to the DLS. This too fodder for discussion in another thread.

John

... ten votes or something from long time Trainzer's and it's rejected until it meets a community standards sniff test too.

While I agree there are items on the DLS that display a considerable "lack of workmanship and/or quality" (but who am I to judge?), I have more problems with your suggested solution - far too many to go into here. The idea has been suggested before and, thankfully, never taken up. JCitron's "star download rating" suggestion would be a far better option although distinguishing between downloads that are automated (because its a dependency) and those that are manual (because "gee that looks good") would be a problem.

Seeing ZEC's post just tells me how little they listen to sense.

Zac's reply made perfect sense. There is a big difference between being "made to last" (like old drying machines) and "keeping up with technology" (like software/hardware). The drying machines of 20+ years ago were not energy efficient, were prone to catch fire (because people did not keep the lint filters clean) and had higher maintenance costs - my 20 year old dryer cost a fortune to repair and, after its last breakdown, ended up on the tip.

The same applies to computer hardware and software - the first version of Trainz is approaching its 13th birthday. The hardware it ran on was primitive by today's standards. Because computer technology is advancing considerably faster than dryer technology, very few of us would want to continue using a software (or hardware) package that was half a decade old (or even less). My old XP machine (which ran my copy of that original version of Trainz) spent the last few years of its life running Ubuntu before it, like my dryer, ended up on the tip. My current Windows 7 (32 bit) machine with its Core 2 CPU will soon be replaced by an i7 based Windows 8.1 (64 bit) machine so that I can run T:ANE and spend less time waiting for other things to "boot up". I recently had a loan of an ultrabook laptop with a touch screen, Windows 8.1 (64 bit) and an i7 processor. Compared to my current system, TS12 ran like a dream on it.

Yes, there are those in these forums who prefer to use Trainz 2006 or even 2004 over TS12 for a whole variety of reasons. N3V is not taking away their right to use those programs but why should I be saddled with the cost of supporting them? Allowing users to place 2004/2006 assets on the DLS would require continuing technical support for those products which must be paid for, and people grumble about having to pay for an FCT to get "adequate" access to supported assets.

The issue of "eyeball" checking uploaded assets for errors, inappropriate content and plagiarism (remember the furore on that a few months back), has been discussed before. N3V does not have the staff, and users will not be prepared to pay for the additional staff, to do this. This leaves us with the "ten votes or something from long time Trainzer's and it's rejected until it meets a community standards" star chamber approach and back to the start of this post.

My 2 cents worth.
Peter Ware

Actually, the big difference between "made to last" products like dryers and software is that software by itself doesn't go bad. It doesn't rust. It doesn't get clogged with lint. It doesn't need a replacement timer.

Actually, the big difference between "made to last" products like dryers and software is that software by itself doesn't go bad. It doesn't rust. It doesn't get clogged with lint. It doesn't need a replacement timer.

... and it cannot take any advantage of the new technologies (hardware and OS) that have appeared since it was released.

and it will continue to work as designed in the environment (hardware software) of its day. The problem is eventually finding that environment. Hardware wears out and will one day not be replaceable with the same thing. As for software, i.e. the Operating System, it will stop being patched so inevitable vulnerabilities will not be patched. Best keep those machines off the net. So older versions of Trainz are fine to use as long as you accept the risks.

** Don't get me going on durable goods... Pianos last 100s of years, appliances used to last 35+years in some cases, and there's whole host of other good stuff that doesn't live more than a few years. I suppose it's the new consumer that likes everything shiny and new so no one bothers to make the goods last more than a couple of years.

John
Its all got to do with greed if you make something that last for 100 years once you have sold one to everyone who wants one then were do you go from there. Your out of business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back