Gramma's Illegal JR & HP Trainz Payware Content on DLS (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick, lets hang, draw and quarter Gramma.
If I notice a route or asset that has been possibly illegally copied, I always notify the original creator, but never advetise it on the forums. Once I pass the info to the original creator it is none of my business what the consequences following on are. On a couple of occasions, the original creator has informed me that permission was given or that they don't care that it has occurred. I have been a victim of plagiarism myself a couple of times, so I know how it feels to have my hard work stolen and have someone pass it off as their own.
N3V WILL remove plagiarised assets from the DLS, but only if notified by the original creator, which is as it should be. Pitchforks and torches may seem like a good idea to some, but N3V need hard facts and intentions from the creator.

I can understand the angst , especially when locomotives and payware items are being "reworked" and uploaded without permission.
A lot of this indignation might be mitigated to some extent if there was a copyright cutoff that could be applied after a decade which would then allow items to be modified to allow them to be used in newer versions of the game . The problem is , I guess some creators would just not make things available at all if that was the case.

I would have thought that by that time virtually no one would want to buy items that are that out of date so there would be no monetary loss. . I was looking through my old downloads from 2014 and there are so many useful assets that now are no longer available , I for one would prefer any assets I created as freeware to be used by anyone rather then have them disappear into oblivion, but I can also fully understand when upstarts such as gramma just go crazy and break all the rules , it appears to me that he is just gambling on not getting reported as so many years have passed since these items were uploaded the creators are dead or have left the hobby. In some ways if this is happening I really cant see that its causing any major hurt for those people , but of course its crossing a line that many don't believe should be crossed.

There's one thing that is a major issue for me about assets that cannot be changed by anyone else. All too often older assets are not able to be tilted or have their height adjusted, often that is the only reason why they need to be modified for use in game , but the current rules would not allow those extremely basic mods to occur if the creator does not allow it , even though it doesn't change its appearance and just adds to its function. I know of course I can do this for my own use, but when one is making routes for DLS freeware purposes it is a pain. Its also an issue when creators do not express what their intentions are regarding modifying their assets, or if they do not include a contact email in the config

If it is only the tilting you're longing for, S2.0 does that to most objects, whether they were designed that way or not.

As for the issue of permissions, some how I don't think the developers envisioned having to deal with objects whose creators died or left the hobby long ago. Who knew this hobby would last so long? Been here for 21 years and counting and I'm not the oldest one either

Last edited:
Hi All
Just to confirm a few things.

As pware pointed out, we can only accept copyright reports from the original creator (or someone that can provide they hold the rights to that content). Anyone else is just guessing that permission was not obtained to release the modified/cloned assets, including a lot of people in this thread who are calling for immediate bans of a user despite not knowing if that user actually has permission...

In regards to deceased creators, generally the copyright (from my layman understanding) will pass on to their family. In this case you would, if possibly, need to contact the family. In some cases the family has announced that the community can modify/clone content without needing permission. In others, the family members held some interest so will instead want to discuss release with people.

In regards to the user Gramma, they were unbanned when their grandmother agreed to monitor their actions, after we explained what the rules/requirements were (specifically, they needed to obtain written permission from the creator, unless the content's license specifically allowed it). As far as has been seen, they were following the rules for quite some time. If you believe they have been uploading content without permission, then please report this to the creators so that they can decide if they want to pursue it. We've already seen one creator in this thread decide to allow it as credit was given in the description.

Regards

If it is only the tilting you're longing for, S2.0 does that to most objects, whether they were designed that way or not.

As for the issue of permissions, some how I don't think the developers envisioned having to deal with objects whose creators died or left the hobby long ago. Who knew this hobby would last so long? Been here for 21 years and counting and I'm not the oldest one either
Ah theres the rub. I'm not yet working in s2, my major project at the moment is being made in 2019 sp4, I have 2022 standard and have played with it, but without s2 its not really much of a change , I'm not sure if i want to splash $107 AU on the upgrade to platinum as I won't use it for at least another six months .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back