Super-D Effect of DLS Downtime

PWeiser

Version specs below (also explanation of title). During DLS downtime, I get a strange, intermittent display effect. I can tell DLS is down because of the international (flags) page when I start Trainz and the red warning in CCP2.0. After that, the sequence is,

- The scenic picture, which may or may not come on covering only the left 80% of my monitor. After the options buttons appear at the bottom, the scenic picture shifts to a list of Auran advertisements. (This is probably supposed to always happen, but on my system I only get an empty white screen unless DLS is down.) The ad list also takes up only the left 80% of the screen, with random buffer graphics in the remainder. The lowermost bar of the screen may display the x,y cursor position.

- After selecting Surveyor or Driver, the route selection screen may or may not be normal (full) width. The Surveyor or Driver display, when it comes up, is full width but the horizontal field of view is greater than normal - giving a distorted perspective (everything is compressed horizontally but not vertically) which seems to relate to the curtailed width of the ad (and other) windows. In addition, the mouse pointer actually hits some distance to the left of its screen location, making it impossible to select items in the Surveyor menu at the extreme right of the screen.

I suspect that the Trainz browser (which only shows, on my system, when DLS is down) is forcing an internal setting in Trainz itself, causing the observed distortion.

My video setting is 1024 x 768, and the effect happens either in auto-detect or forced 4:3 aspect ratio. I'm running TS2009 r.38144 unpatched (works fine, and there are horror stories about patches).

Presumably this effect will go away when DLS comes up again and the Trainz browser again becomes unavailable, and it's even possible to operate as long as you don't need to mouse-click on the right side of the screen. But is there a setting I can force in trainzconfig or elsewhere to defeat this effect even while DLS is down? Guess I could unplug from the Internet...

(The title, for those who get out more than I do: in Japanese robot anime the robots have "super-D" (super-deformed) avatars which look the way my locomotives do with stretched horizontal field of view.)

Back