A Question or Two

Alikiwi

Apprentice Creator
First question relates to the latest <kuid:-25:1224> Multiple_Industry_New.
For some bizarre reason I can't rename some of them, whilst others I've already done so on my own route (Bathurst). I can rename them, save and exit. But as soon as I reload the route to edit, the names have reverted to Multiple Industry New #x, y, or z!

Two, anyone else discovered a route that develops sink holes? Yes, literally, although I think (gets hard sometimes) that it's only happened in the Wallangarra to Warwick route. I've filled a couple of holes (one point down to ground zero), one of which was near the Ballandean Hotel, only to find 4 new ones a day or so later.... I kid you not.

Third question (pushing it I know, but that's me), I want to install TRS19 SP2 on an external HDD via a USB cable and keep my SP1 safe (cough). What's the best way to do it, as from vague memory I think the local folder has to be on the 'C' Drive? As usual thanks in advance, no one could make much progress without the help around here.

The trainz install can be on any drive, it comes in two parts. The first part will install on the drive you ask it to install on. The second part will default to installing on the C drive, this is the data. Once installed you can go to the C drive and copy/cut the build folder and paste it onto another drive. Open the launch screen and select settings and install. Change the path to the location of the moved build folder and do a DBR.

Third question (pushing it I know, but that's me), I want to install TRS19 SP2 on an external HDD via a USB cable and keep my SP1 safe (cough). What's the best way to do it, as from vague memory I think the local folder has to be on the 'C' Drive? As usual thanks in advance, no one could make much progress without the help around here.

I look at the 2 parts this way. One is the folder that contains the Trainz.exe program.
This will not install over your SP1 program folder because it is a different program.
The second folder, which is the build, just make sure to point to a new folder and not your SP1 build.
This way, you have 2 program folders and 2 build folders.
Either or both can be moved to any drive, Trainz does not seem to use the registry.
However, there is a text file in the build folder that must be edited if you move things around. There are posts about how to do this.
Be careful, because each time you open the SP1 program, it will ask you to update to SP2.

First question relates to the latest <kuid:-25:1224> Multiple_Industry_New.
For some bizarre reason I can't rename some of them, whilst others I've already done so on my own route (Bathurst). I can rename them, save and exit. But as soon as I reload the route to edit, the names have reverted to Multiple Industry New #x, y, or z!

I can't duplicate this error myself, but had other problems when it became 'confused' and would not work anymore. So I cloned and updated this asset and its more stable and useable. It may solve your problem, it's available in CM or DLS.

CDE Multiple_Industry_New
<KUID:647907:100648>

<kuid:-25:1224> Multiple_Industry_New has been updated in TRS19 version 110491 to <kuid:-25:1356> Multiple_Industry_New built-in.

obsolete-table
{
0 <kuid:-19:10165>
1 <kuid:-19:10152>
2 <kuid:-25:655>
3 <kuid:-25:1090>
4 <kuid:-25:1224>
5 <kuid:-25:1347>
}

Two, anyone else discovered a route that develops sink holes? Yes, literally, although I think (gets hard sometimes) that it's only happened in the Wallangarra to Warwick route. I've filled a couple of holes (one point down to ground zero), one of which was near the Ballandean Hotel, only to find 4 new ones a day or so later.... I kid you not.

I remember reading a post by JCitron that said something about this, can't find it, maybe he will chime in?

I can't duplicate this error myself, but had other problems when it became 'confused' and would not work anymore. So I cloned and updated this asset and its more stable and useable. It may solve your problem, it's available in CM or DLS.

Well done! Downloaded.

...Two, anyone else discovered a route that develops sink holes? Yes, literally, although I think (gets hard sometimes) that it's only happened in the Wallangarra to Warwick route. I've filled a couple of holes (one point down to ground zero), one of which was near the Ballandean Hotel, only to find 4 new ones a day or so later.... I kid you not.

Ah, harking back to 2009! Yes, deep holes all the way to the center of the Earth, or nearly, about one 10-m square, eh? And they get bigger if you leave them.

I came to associate them with patches of what looked like a black or very dark texture and whenever I'd spot one of those I'd do a quick repaint over them. That seemed to work. If you pull the holes up with the terrain tools you might find out what texture is involved. A mass replacement might be indicated. That issue doesn't seem to crop up in 12 or T:ANE.

:B~)

Those sink holes follow baseboard boarders and will slice through mountains to the bottom of the virtual earth. These places can and will also form spikes as well. In other cases, a whole baseboard will lose it's height information and make gigantic voids, but I wonder if that's semi-related and not directly. The smaller spikes and sink holes tend to relate to dark textures, and in all cases are more than an annoyance. I noticed that these tend to occur a lot when we've been merging routes together. It makes sense if black = zero in height information and I wonder if there's a bit of confusion somewhere in the code that causes the height to get confused with the textures. A glitch somewhere and the code gets confused during the merger process?

How to fix these things:

I use band-aids, or in Trainz terminology road splines. I place them across the void one after another and then snap them to height on one side - so the spline circles turn yellow. Once everything is snapped to height, I use the level terrain and it brings up the terrain to the proper height. A lot of times there're are steps. Unfortunately, it's the nature of the beast because we're placing flat surfaces over a curved one. To fix that, I use the smooth surface tool in the topology panel to smooth things out. Once covered with dirt and trees no one knows the difference but us.

Spikes are easily fixed by running the topology flatten terrain over the spots after getting heights for the area. This may little lumps, but that can be easily smoothed out or left if the terrain is lumpy anyway. I find these to be less painful to repair.

Now for the worst beast of all. Those stinking sunken baseboards. I have found no way at all to repair these other than remove and replace the baseboards affected by this illness. For a freelance, free formed terrain it's not so bad, but for DEM-generated and topographic textured prototypes, this gets a bit gut wrenching. A larger area has to be imported and then that particular baseboard trimmed out of the larger piece. The route itself then needs that faulty baseboard removed and the piece merged in.

If this does occur on un-landscaped areas, it's not so bad, but when everything has been textured, assets and track placed, I tend to lose my heart in the program and my project. This is one of the reasons why I abandoned my own project. That route was a combo of merged, freelance, and DEMs and it was in the DEMS, of course, where the huge voids occurred.

Thanks for the info. I've replaced the multiple_industry with the CDE ones. As for <kuid:-25:1356>, doesn't exists according to my CM, probably because it's incompatible, cause someone keeps changing the build number for TRS19. 4.6, 4.7....

As for the sink holes, they've been in virtually flat areas, but I'll check the textures but don't think any of them have been close to black but will make sure just encase. Weird!

...I use band-aids, or in Trainz terminology road splines. I place them across the void one after another and then snap them to height on one side - so the spline circles turn yellow. Once everything is snapped to height, I use the level terrain and it brings up the terrain to the proper height. A lot of times there're are steps. Unfortunately, it's the nature of the beast because we're placing flat surfaces over a curved one. To fix that, I use the smooth surface tool in the topology panel to smooth things out. Once covered with dirt and trees no one knows the difference but us....

Y'know, John, that you can make curved surfaces with the splines, don't you? (I like to use BNSF50's red ribbon invisitrack, it's easy to keep track [sorry] of and using a single asset ensures things come out consistent.) Set the spline points 0.3 meters above the desired elevation, two spline points at each end and fiddle their elevations to obtain the desired curve or slope. Use intermediate spline points for more complex forms. Parallel splines should be no more than 15 M apart to avoid gullies. Unless gullies are desired. I doubt TransDEM does smaller gullies, which are typically "between the contours" yet are important landscape features.

Y'know, John, that you can make curved surfaces with the splines, don't you? (I like to use BNSF50's red ribbon invisitrack, it's easy to keep track [sorry] of and using a single asset ensures things come out consistent.) Set the spline points 0.3 meters above the desired elevation, two spline points at each end and fiddle their elevations to obtain the desired curve or slope. Use intermediate spline points for more complex forms. Parallel splines should be no more than 15 M apart to avoid gullies. Unless gullies are desired. I doubt TransDEM does smaller gullies, which are typically "between the contours" yet are important landscape features.

Yes, I know about curves, but these have to curve up and over a surface which is a pain to do so just place them close together like stitches on a wound, adjust the height and then quickly smooth them off. The good thing is while as annoying as it is, this doesn't happen all that often.

This afternoon while out shopping, I left TS19 running my industrial route, on return the fans are going full speed (only program that causes this), consists are sitting around idle with the commands from the Schedule Library non-existant.
I installed Speccy to check temperatures - all within spec, double checked the industry quantities, all ok, fresh suspect is the Schedule Library.
Then noticed movement on the map, coal being fed to the power plants, sand being delivered also.
The sand is the CDE M.I.N and the power plants are built-in - I shall have to swap out the remaining M.I.Ns and report back.

Back