Technical question for those of you that are computer tech savvy.

jjslll54

Member since Nov 2001
I build my own computers. I have a Rysen9 3900x Zen2 cpu on a Gigabyte Aorus Elite x570 motherboard with 32 gigs ram and an rtx 4060 8g gpu with the game itself stored on a 2tb m.2 nvme ssd. I have a 1440p monitor that I have tried using at 1080p to no avail. I have a Trainz plus standard subscription with my main route which is a fishlipsatwork DEM map of the Feather River Canyon that I have been working on for about twenty years or so. I have had the route converted to HD terrain for several months and within the last month or so I have started to have problems. Whenever I move a spline or change terrain height all of my splines disappear for sometimes up to 5 minutes at a time. Last night while working on burying invisible track in my roads for drivable cars to use, my game would lock up and the only fix would be to use task manager to terminate my program and restart. This happened several times during the evening. I started saving after every intersection I wired with the buried track so if it froze I wouldn't have to redo. I've had intermittent freezes before as well. Everything else I do with my computer works fine.

My question is would upgrading to a Zen3 Rysen7 5800x3d cpu help with the freezing issue, I was also hoping it might help with stuttering in high detail areas. From what I have read from others I shouldn't be having these issues. Is this strictly a GPU issue or will a new CPU help? Maybe new memory modules? Computer experts only please. I've tried every different game setting I could think of unless there is some hidden setting that requires game code knowledge to make use of. Thanks in advance.

Jack

Just places to start looking.

If you're running beta software then this sort of thing can be expected. You get the code working then optimise it later on. I suspect the 32 gigs of memory means that Windows will cache your SSD so I don't think loading from the SSD is the problem. Normally dragging something from a disk is 10,000 times slower than from memory.

Sometimes Windows can be too helpful and will use virtual memory which can lead to things being written to disk then read back in. This can show up as an intermittent freeze.

Then you get how many cores can the software take advantage of? Your CPU has 12 cores (24 threads) this isn't mainstream and the N3V software may not be able to take advantage of them all.

John Citron identified a couple of Windows processes that can cause interruptions to his piano playing. I think one was one drive. Windows has a game mode that cuts out any background tasks, are you using it? It may help.

Other than that try running task manager or perfmon and see what is happening hardware wise. If your CPU is running at 50% switching in another cpu might not help. Take a look at how many cores it is using. Same for the video card and I suspect the video card might be the weakest point here. Its 3d score is just under 20,000 which isn't bad but the 4060 has not had the most wonderful reviews.

My suggestion would be is first wait until the software settles down.

Cheerio John

Hi John,

I'm not currently running beta. I had to download and reinstall trainz plus last night as I tried to uninstall Tane and it removed my desktop icon for trainz plus. Luckily I didn't lose my TRS22 folder or any of my content. I'm going to try running the non beta version for awhile and see if there is a difference. I still have an issue with moving spline points. The spline point will move but the spline will stay put for what feels like a long time before it decides to joint its spline point. Same goes for raising and lowering the spline point. I will try your suggestions and report the results after giving them time to see if they work. I don't mind the stuttering as long as the game doesn't freeze. I can at least keep working.

Jack

This sounds like the HD Terrain is really working your computer hard. It really does consume a lot more resources and really pushes the hardware as well. I noticed stuttering when I used it with my i9-12900K, 64 GB RAM, and RXT3080.

Increasing your page file size might help as that will give Windows a bit more wiggle room for processing things in RAM. The recommended size for a page-file is 3x the installed RAM. You can always go larger and you want the minimum to be the same size as the maximum.

The recent versions of Windows 10 and Windows 11 put the documents, pictures, video, and music folders on the One Drive and constantly sync between the two. Here's a link to my One-Drive where I posted an article on how to fix that. For those on mobile devices such as a Surface computer with a 256 GB SSD, this might be fine, but for power users with large disks this is a resource hog due to the constant network traffic in addition to the fact that some of us, myself included, have documents folders that are in the Terabytes rather than the megabytes. Mine is due to my virtual machines in the same folder along with large raw music files that are no smaller than 500 MBs.

The other resource hog is the new Widgets. Unless you use them, they can be turned off.

How to remove Widgets:

How to disable the One-Drive integration into File Explorer. If you use One-Drive, you can still get there via the internet:

Back