Freshly Downloaded DLC has a Bunch of "Faulty" . . . parts.

Philbo07

I'm so new to Trainz or any train sim it isn't funny. I read that it was an excellent Train sim with a humongous amount of DLC. My first thought then was that this simulator must be well supported and stable.
I bought Trainz Simulator 2019 and Trainz Platinum Edition Bundle from Steam yesterday. (they sit together on the Trainze page and last night I (finally) figured out how to download the Platinum DLC but several routes and engines had errors. The software gave me the option to retry which of course I did, but no joy there . . . apparently.

Later, I filtered out the content that has "Missing dependencies" There are exactly 20 of them, 6 from the Bidye Traction Railroad route alone and generally all over the shop affecting 14 different routes or locos. What I do with that information isn't clear to me. How do I rectify these "faults"?
I'm somewhat miffed as I don't expect a product to download with parts missing with one of them, ECML Edinburgh - Dundee labeled as payware. Didn't I just pay for these DLCs to come down to me complete and ready to rock n roll?
I dearly hope this isn't a glimpse of my future where Trainz software that comes with a whole new set of issues that require in-depth knowledge or years-spanning experience to know how to fix . . . things and generally add complication to my life. I'm not a route or train editor I just want to drive Trainz trains.
One smaller issue is when I filter my purchases to show Australian content (I'm a Queenslander) it says I don't have any . . . neither train nor route! I received the Warwick to Wallangarra route and a train to drive on it in the Platinum package and yes, it's downloaded and available. I'm super keen to drive this route once I sort out this issue but neither show up when filtering. They are there, just not showing on that page. Very strange but a secondary problem atm.
I hope a helpful member can direct me not to the door :) but to the method where these missing bits can be
once again be where they belong including I hope the one behind a paywall.
Thanks in advance guys.

Welcome to the forums and to Trainz, Phil.

Ensure that you have downloaded any and all packages in the Content Store that say install on the button. There are some packages that contain the additional built in dependencies required for the program. The reason for this is the content is quite large and that would impact the download of the program.

Sometimes, a package will show an error after downloading. The workaround is to click on Retry then Cancel to clear the error.

Depending upon the package you purchased, this will determine what DLC is available to you. The packages that cost more of course have more available, and you can upgrade at any time without losing what you have already purchased in the past.

The filtering system is difficult to master, and the problem is not all users populate all the fields in the configuration files. This can cause assets to either be missed or be incorrectly categorized.

Once you get things settled in, we highly recommend you go through the tutorials and learn the tools of the trade as they say.

Feel free to ask questions, we'll gladly answer them or try to anyway.

Welcome Phil. I believe there is also a package called something like "T:ANE assets for TRS19". This contains assets from the older version that may be needed but weren't contained in TRS19.

Gotta be better than this, surely...

I'm getting more and more frustrated here guys. Rather than get hot under the collar, please hear me out.

Firefox and all major browsers have removed ftp as an option. I read that the Download manager isn't available for Trainz 2019. Here I am trying to keep a level head but all these roadblocks keep appearing.
I tried to download the content but a window pops up telling me I don't have an app associated with the download.
What? Why is Trainz persisting with last century download methods. FTP is insecure but more than that, am I expected to download an ftp client and set it up with zero explanation on how to link it with the missing content that I can see on the screen in front of me?
I do know what ftp is and have used it many times in the past. What's this about download errors? I was downloading files successfully back in the 80s and BBS days when that problem was sorted out, so why are folk having download errors, seriously? I browsed the site's FAQs and for the life of me, I can't find a how-to anywhere that reads something like,

HOW TO DOWNLOAD MISSING CONTENT - Step by Step
or
HOW TO DOWNLOAD PAYWARE CONTENT YOU PAID FOR

Why do I have to come on the forum and ask what to do next? Shouldn't that sort of common, sensible and compulsory instruction / information be made available at point of contact? Am I expected to jump here, learn this, learn that, read this then go over and read that, download a different app on my PC that I do not want, learn how to configure it, read some tutorials, get familiar with software when all I want is enjoy what I paid for?
Is that too hard to fathom?
I am beginning to realise why Trainz is not for everyone. The payware issue has not been answered in any way and that's a different issue I feel, but as of now I am not one step closer to getting that missing content. I have already, as stated in my intitial post - retried the faulty content. Once that option is passed....it's gone and can't be called back. You guys know that so telling me how to download the stuff correctly, which I did by intelligently pressing Install then Retry ...doh!). That plain black and white horse horse has long bolted.
I don't know what more I can do than pay for DLC then receive DLC . . . in whole.
I'm still missing content that may or may not wreck the routes and locos . . . . content I paid for.

Excuse me for coming on here and calling whoever out on this but the DLC up on Steam maybe should have been verified that all parts would be available for download AND if payware is involved, must be made available in the DLC.
I'm nothing if not logical and I see that mistakes have been made here and rather than explain but not explain to me what I should have done (and did do) at the very least someone there at Trainz Central should be right now on Steam sorting out this DLC issue and you know . . . fix it!

This ftp thing is a whole 'nother level of why the heck should I have to...?

Can someone who is smart enough to not get their nose out of joint when someone questions their life's love, please explain in step mode, how to get this missing content?Let's talk about First Class Tickets after I get my missing DLC.
Much appreciated.
filthy . . . phil

Trainz 2019 has a content manager. You can download content from the DLS within the content manager by selecting "Download Station" from the drop-down in there. The little arrow along the top will give you a very precise filter/search function (that can be kind of complicated).

Phil, after installing TRS19, bring up the launcher, and select "Content Store". That will bring up a list of DLC. Scroll through it and download all of the routes, locos, and scenery packages that indicate they can be downloaded or installed. That should get you all the DLC that comes with your purchase, as well as the "T:ANE Content for TRS19" I mentioned above.

Then, instead of going to what we call the "White pages", which requires ftp (why hasn't N3V just moved to SFTP?), instead, as PerRock mentions, go back to the launcher and select "Manage Content" It will bring up a list of your installed content, sortable by any of the content headings. Under "Filter" at the upper left, select "Download Station". All of the huge content list that results is available to you for free, just by right-clicking an asset and selecting "Download". It will download and install for you. YOU DO NOT NEED TO FTP AT THE WHITE PAGES!

I'm getting more and more frustrated here guys. Rather than get hot under the collar, please hear me out.

Firefox and all major browsers have removed ftp as an option. I read that the Download manager isn't available for Trainz 2019. Here I am trying to keep a level head but all these roadblocks keep appearing.
I tried to download the content but a window pops up telling me I don't have an app associated with the download.
What? Why is Trainz persisting with last century download methods. FTP is insecure but more than that, am I expected to download an ftp client and set it up with zero explanation on how to link it with the missing content that I can see on the screen in front of me?
I do know what ftp is and have used it many times in the past. What's this about download errors? I was downloading files successfully back in the 80s and BBS days when that problem was sorted out, so why are folk having download errors, seriously? I browsed the site's FAQs and for the life of me, I can't find a how-to anywhere that reads something like,

HOW TO DOWNLOAD MISSING CONTENT - Step by Step
or
HOW TO DOWNLOAD PAYWARE CONTENT YOU PAID FOR

Why do I have to come on the forum and ask what to do next? Shouldn't that sort of common, sensible and compulsory instruction / information be made available at point of contact? Am I expected to jump here, learn this, learn that, read this then go over and read that, download a different app on my PC that I do not want, learn how to configure it, read some tutorials, get familiar with software when all I want is enjoy what I paid for?
Is that too hard to fathom?
I am beginning to realise why Trainz is not for everyone. The payware issue has not been answered in any way and that's a different issue I feel, but as of now I am not one step closer to getting that missing content. I have already, as stated in my intitial post - retried the faulty content. Once that option is passed....it's gone and can't be called back. You guys know that so telling me how to download the stuff correctly, which I did by intelligently pressing Install then Retry ...doh!). That plain black and white horse horse has long bolted.
I don't know what more I can do than pay for DLC then receive DLC . . . in whole.
I'm still missing content that may or may not wreck the routes and locos . . . . content I paid for.

Excuse me for coming on here and calling whoever out on this but the DLC up on Steam maybe should have been verified that all parts would be available for download AND if payware is involved, must be made available in the DLC.
I'm nothing if not logical and I see that mistakes have been made here and rather than explain but not explain to me what I should have done (and did do) at the very least someone there at Trainz Central should be right now on Steam sorting out this DLC issue and you know . . . fix it!

This ftp thing is a whole 'nother level of why the heck should I have to...?

Can someone who is smart enough to not get their nose out of joint when someone questions their life's love, please explain in step mode, how to get this missing content?Let's talk about First Class Tickets after I get my missing DLC.
Much appreciated.
filthy . . . phil

Hmm,no one here on the forum has any skin in the game helping you out, so please don't have a go at those who have bothered to try to help you, its NV3 who are responsible for the terrible way the DLC process has evolved, most of us have had similar experiences , we worked it out by elimination, contacting Nv3 ( good luck with that ) or by asking politely on the forum, I suggest you calm down and appreciate the advice you have been given so far. Buying an FCT is sound advice, if you don't get a FCT you will be faced by glacial download speeds. if you ask nicely this is one of the most helpful places on the net, but if you get steamed up and demand answers from members, well, I doubt you will get very far. I know it is frustrating but even long term members have these issues ,so read the forum and ask people for help, but be patient and don't accuse people of getting their noses out of joint,the only person who falls into that category so far here appears to be you.

Don't get confused between DLC and DLS. DLC is obtained from the content store tab, check for downloads in both the store and purchased sections. DLS is obtained from the manage content tab and the default list is the installed list. Click on installed and select download station for a list of available content. Right-click on an asset or a group of selected assets and select download. They install automatically and will show in your installed list. Sometimes an asset may have been left in the open for edit folder. While in content manager go to the install and change to open for edit and select all. Right-click and select submit asset.

Phil, after installing TRS19, bring up the launcher, and select "Content Store". That will bring up a list of DLC. Scroll through it and download all of the routes, locos, and scenery packages that indicate they can be downloaded or installed. That should get you all the DLC that comes with your purchase, as well as the "T:ANE Content for TRS19" I mentioned above.

Then, instead of going to what we call the "White pages", which requires ftp (why hasn't N3V just moved to SFTP?), instead, as PerRock mentions, go back to the launcher and select "Manage Content" It will bring up a list of your installed content, sortable by any of the content headings. Under "Filter" at the upper left, select "Download Station". All of the huge content list that results is available to you for free, just by right-clicking an asset and selecting "Download". It will download and install for you. YOU DO NOT NEED TO FTP AT THE WHITE PAGES!
Interesting: What you suggest works only if I take my laptop to Starbucks coffee shop. There I can download any and everything. But at home. Nothing downloads. Why? For the same reason Philbo mentions: The server does not support ftp on port 21. In reality here in USA, as time passes, less and less servers support it. If anyone has a solution, I am sure many would like to hear about it.

You may need to open up port 21 on your router.
Not an expert on this. But using logic, consider this: Two years ago, I was running my system connected to Verizon wired. I was able to download perfectly from DLS. One day I changed ISP to T-Mobile wireless. No more downloads. That on a desktop, and yes I use a receiving modem with a built-in router. Looks like this device does not open port 21 due to security concerns from T-Mobile. Checked with Verizon wireless and same thing, checked with T-Mobile wired and no go. When I go to a coffee shop, that system uses Verizon wired, and it works. Time ago I checked with helpdesk; at first they did not know what I was talking about, later it changed to "Trainz has been running on port 21 since the inception and never have any problems, it must be something wrong at your end". Obviously the mountain is not going to move, and I will never go back to wired, as my wireless ISP runs at minimum 340mhz for less money that anyone else around here. So, for now the coffee shop solution seems like the only alternative.

N3V could make a simple change to their servers to run SFTP via port 22, and it just stuns me that they are that neglectful. It doesn't take rocket science.

Back