Why do so many people still use Trainz 2006?

Well yes but the fixes make the stuff run better in the older versions as well. Basically the error checking wasn't so good in TRS2004 was it tafweb who created software so that you could fix assets so they actually ran in TRS2004. In those days you had to do the fixes yourself its only recently that the fixes have been done centrally on the DLS.

Cheerio John

I took all my old content, ran it through TS12 and fixed the errors. Saved and put back in TRS2006. No real difference.
Built a small route in TS12 using only new and efficient content. Slide show.
Argue all you want about pushing this down to the GPU or quote Tom's hardware all day. You're pushing this game engine by throwing horsepower at it. You can make a brick fly if you strap a big enough engine to it. I see no reason to go through the hassle of more hardware, another version and new content to be where I was 7 years ago performance wise.
Sure, you're right. Fix the errors. Then double the detail and computer specs. No thanks. I build routes to operate, not take screen shots or dumb down because the content is higher detail.

Last edited:
TRS2006 has an unlimited lifespan ... as long as you have all the assets on your PC, and/or you backdate the higher build assets ... TRS2006 will continue to run in the year 2099
I know and that is what makes both 2004 and 2006 such good games, which is why I still have them incase I get another PC.

At Klambert, do you have a car, and if so, is it an older model, and if it's older, why have you decided to keep it?

And just how many faulty items actually work in TS10 & TS2004, and how many faulty items work in TS12?
And just how stable was TS2004 compared to later versions?

(How many faulty items work in TS12? Answer: ZERO!)

PS: I think you just answered your own question on this page of this very thread!

Last edited:
At Klambert, do you have a car, and if so, is it an older model, and if it's older, why have you decided to keep it?

This is the most accurate metaphor I have every heard.

Difference is, if modern software and hardware vendors had their way, your car would stop running after x number miles or x number of years, period, finish. And your only option would be to buy another one.

And just how many faulty items actually work in TS10 & TS2004, and how many faulty items work in TS12?
And just how stable was TS2004 compared to later versions?

(How many faulty items work in TS12? Answer: ZERO!)

PS: I think you just answered your own question on this page of this very thread!

Errm no I don't have a car but I'm currently learning how to drive in a 2 year old Corsa.

I would say that's not a very good metaphor because people use old cars becuase they can't afford a newer one, but I hardly think the cost of a new PC game and a car is comparible, I mean if you can't cough up £20 for a computer game you must be well and truly skint, but its pretty normal not to be able to cough up a couple of grand for another car.

I fail to see how I answered my own question, my point on that origanal post was the TS10 will run quite comfortably on old PC's, once again the price between a new PC and a computer game is hardly comparable.

Erm, yes, such misinformation HAS been spread. Sorry if it conflicts with the intention of N3V and other software vendors to sell software. As pointed out earlier, that "opinion" could have been expressed differently and more accurately. As for personal attacks, well, I did not make one, but there is a not-so-fine line between personal attack against and individual and a callout of a claim made by same.

What misinformation has been spread exactly? It appears to me people are taking what PortLineParker said too literally, of course someone with a remote at N3V HQ can't switch the game off, what he meant by saying it had limited life in it, was that the game was outdated, not that it was going to be shut down.

Last edited:
I've only just gotten back into Trainz (long story), and I still keep 2006 installed. There are some things that just work better over there, so until I can find a way to cleanly port them over, I'll keep 2006 available for when I need it. I keep 2009 available for similar reasons.

When I upgraded (last week) I deliberately chose TS2010 instead of TS2012. My computer's specs are far above what TS2010 needs, so I figured even if I loaded up the features it should still work fine. So far it has. Nothing worse than an occasional stutter in the rendering.

Also, the asset files I collected for TS2009 all work in TS2010 (albeit many of them now have updates or have been replaced). I couldn't be sure of that regarding 2012.

And finally, I'm not currently interested in multi-player Internet capability, which appears to be one of TS2012's big new features. In my experience, a program's size goes up exponentially when multi-player features are added. Not to mention the opportunity for bugs and hacker attacks. I also have satellite internet, which can get flaky when the weather isn't nice. Online gaming under such conditions is often more trouble than it's worth.

So in the end I went with the most current "stand alone" version of Trainz, which is TS2010. I may upgrade later on, depending on what happens, but I'm in no rush.

What misinformation has been spread exactly? It appears to me people are taking what PortLineParker said too literally, of course someone with a remote at N3V HQ can't switch the game off, what he meant by saying it had limited life in it, was that the game was outdated, not that it was going to be shut down.

If you want to go over thing with a fine-toothed comb, he repeated a form of misinformation that the game will stop working not once, but many times over. One could have cut him slack had he made the misinformed statement once, but not after reiterating it so many times.

Unfortunately, a lot of people really think that their software will up and stop working, and that they need to upgrade before that happens. The software industry depends on that ignorance/misinformation and does little to set the record straight.

Even worse is that an increasing number of software makers - including with the latest version of Trainz SP1 - literally have been implementing a kind of "kill switch" that would make PortLineParker's misinformation into a reality.

Not once in my posts did I say that TRS2006 will stop working. For god's sake, Trainz 1.3 still works. I only reiterated what I said because from the very first time I posted I was shot down for it, for expressing my opinion. If you want to double check my posts then go ahead, you will not find me saying anywhere that TRS2006 will stop working at the flick of a switch, I merely suggested that it is a possibility that it will stop working in the future, as I'm sure most games eventually will. Eventually, something will happen that means '06 can no longer be used, as I'm sure will happen for TS12. Whether that be a new system that doesn't support it or what, I don't know. But I have said this from the start; it's not trolling, it's not spreading misleading information, it is merely my opinion.

PortLineParker

Not once in my posts did I say that TRS2006 will stop working. For god's sake, Trainz 1.3 still works. I only reiterated what I said because from the very first time I posted I was shot down for it, for expressing my opinion. If you want to double check my posts then go ahead, you will not find me saying anywhere that TRS2006 will stop working at the flick of a switch, I merely suggested that it is a possibility that it will stop working in the future, as I'm sure most games eventually will. Eventually, something will happen that means '06 can no longer be used, as I'm sure will happen for TS12. Whether that be a new system that doesn't support it or what, I don't know. But I have said this from the start; it's not trolling, it's not spreading misleading information, it is merely my opinion.

PortLineParker

I agree to a point. Knowing how people hoard old stuff, there is that possibility that they could keep it running on an old system somewhere offline. It won't work in the same fashion, or totally in the same fashion today with the DLS and other resources, but it can still work. Whether it will run on brand new hardware, due to various reasons such as a new operating system running, video driver models, etc., and totally different hardware making the systems truly different, well then we can concur totally on this point.

John

Well I recently bought TRS2004 as thats the only TRS I have ever seen in stores.I would like to get a newer TRS like TRS2010 but since I can't afford a FCT atm I have to reply on third party sites to find content that works in TRS2004 and hope if it is missing a dep I can find it elsewhere.That is how I found these locos:
<kuid:52779:6702> Dash 9 AC4400 CW DR.com and the P42 pack at the partially archived site of www.digitalroundhouse.com/ although I did find some of the content which was formally payware from digitalroundhouse here.

I also got some content from www.ustrainz.com/ which is mostly hoppers,air hoppers,godolas,etc.. that aren't hosted here but some of them still require missing kuids. :( I really had hopped that I could get most of SporBust's loco's and deps but although quite a few of the .cdps appear to have been "backed-up\archived" they aren't. :( I was only able to get this
GP60(NS GP60 7123<kuid2:55290:4000:1>) excluding the deps so I can't do much with it. :( I would like to re-skin an AC4400sw int\cab for the <kuid:52779:6702> Dash 9 AC4400 CW DR.com and I have sent an email requesting permission to do that as it is a cool looking loco!

ok, let me put in my thoughts on this one. I do use trs06 and its fine with me great frame rates, graphics looks great to me. the only thing I can say about trs06 is the sound of the track which I can get use to so its no big deal to me. cmp error checking is easy for engines and rolling stock and buildings. and believe me I fixed alot of errors and get them to run or to show up in surveyor. the newer version like trs10 looks good but I still think its still unstable and for me to get trs10 it would have all the latest service packs built in the game disk. I do not know what the specs would be to run on a computer. and once again how difficult will it be to fix a engine or rollling stock in trs10 compare to trs06 very tough. and by the way all trainz versions has some kind of flaw in the game. and just because a newer version is new does not mean its all that great another 7 years from now someone will be posting saying why are the members still useing trs10 when the new version is out. its going to come back and haunt him sooner or later. oh yeah let me tell you something in the beginning when I need help from the members from trs06 on fixing errors most of them showed me how to fix the errors. and you know after all these years working with trs06 fixing errors I'm still learning somethng new thate one of the other members showed me how to fix something in trs06 and to me that shows me that they still willing to help me and to take thier time away from what they were doing and show me what I'm doing wrong. in my book that means something to me. and all of you members who still uses trs06 thanks for the help in the past 6 years. you should all pat your selves on the back for all the knowledge you have from fixing errors or building engines, rolling stock or buildings. because in my book your are number 1 with out you, the creators trainz will not exsist. I'm talking about the creators of trs06 stuff. I cannot say for any other versions because I do not have any maybe one day I will get trs10 but only they fix the flaws and put the updated service packs built into the onto the game disk. I might wait until the new newer version of trainz come out now. any one knows how old trs10 is?

brakemen

I might wait until the new newer version of trainz come out now. any one knows how old trs10 is?

IIRC, it came out around the end of October of 2009. I joined the forums something like 2 or 3 weeks before it was released. Out of curiosity I checked and my order date was Halloween of 2009 (Oct. 31st, for those who don't celebrate it). That's really not very old.

Last edited:

PortLineParker

I feel you're basing your opinion on an assumption. Where will technology go? Who knows. Do you have to go with it? No. That is called marketing. The end of the PC as we know it might be at hand. Parts will never be. Old operating systems you have will never be. As long as you have discs and parts, nothing will change.*
Call me a ludite or whatever, I upgrade when it suits me, not for latest and greatest marketing. I have an Imac G3 who's sole purpose is to run Falcon 4 and store my Trainz stuff. A G5 dual 2.0 to run Final Cut and this MacBook Pro bought in 2006. If technology wants to pass me by, I'll waive as they go around. What I have suits me and does what I need it to do. I'll keep what I have going until my needs change. I can buy parts for my dinos dirt cheap.

Well I recently bought TRS2004 as thats the only TRS I have ever seen in stores.I would like to get a newer TRS like TRS2010 but since I can't afford a FCT atm I have to reply on third party sites to find content that works in TRS2004 and hope if it is missing a dep I can find it elsewhere.That is how I found these locos:
<kuid:52779:6702> Dash 9 AC4400 CW DR.com and the P42 pack at the partially archived site of www.digitalroundhouse.com/ although I did find some of the content which was formally payware from digitalroundhouse here.

I also got some content from www.ustrainz.com/ which is mostly hoppers,air hoppers,godolas,etc.. that aren't hosted here but some of them still require missing kuids. :( I really had hopped that I could get most of SporBust's loco's and deps but although quite a few of the .cdps appear to have been "backed-up\archived" they aren't. :( I was only able to get this
GP60(NS GP60 7123<kuid2:55290:4000:1>) excluding the deps so I can't do much with it. :( I would like to re-skin an AC4400sw int\cab for the <kuid:52779:6702> Dash 9 AC4400 CW DR.com and I have sent an email requesting permission to do that as it is a cool looking loco!

There is a $9.99 TS12 upgrade floating around which as a registered user of TRS2004 you should be eligible for. Check you emails for one from N3V over the last couple of weeks. Once you have TS2009 or later you can download from the DLS a maximum of 100 mb/day for free although the speed isn't the greatest. Just don't try to download a route as it checks to see if the asset plus dependencies is less than 100 mb but it should get you a few locos etc.

Cheerio John

Cheerio John

There is a $9.99 TS12 upgrade floating around which as a registered user of TRS2004 you should be eligible for. Check you emails for one from N3V over the last couple of weeks. Once you have TS2009 or later you can download from the DLS a maximum of 100 mb/day for free although the speed isn't the greatest. Just don't try to download a route as it checks to see if the asset plus dependencies is less than 100 mb but it should get you a few locos etc.

Cheerio John

Cheerio John
Never
It isn't worth it, if you're expecting maximum compatibility, though. Never mind the other issues the latest versions introduce into the mix. Maybe TS2010 would be a better fit.

TS12 for $10 and $20 FCT.
TS2010 and $20 to JointedRail.
I would go the TS2010 route. More content, compatibility mode and drop some cash to JR for what you want if inclined. Or RRMods.
TS12 is short on built in content. If you like to build your own routes like I do and TS2010 is close to the Mac version, go there. Enough included on disc to keep you busy forever. Only non included content I use in the Mac version is JointedRail signals and Profig trees. Neither available on the DLS.
In my opinion, the selling point of TS12 was JointedRail content. $20 there buys you a lot of quality content as they have great prices and are not stingy with the freeware.*

Last edited:
TS12 for $10 and $20 FCT.

In my opinion, the selling point of TS12 was JointedRail content. $20 there buys you a lot of quality content as they have great prices and are not stingy with the freeware.*

They don't have a lot of UK content.

Bye John

They don't have a lot of UK content.
Bye John
I don't think they have any UK content ... as they are a US company ... and they not in the UK. I have never seen any USLW assets with those springy "Buffer" thingies.

In my humble opinion: The real selling point of TS12 that entices me, is the NKP Berkshire DLC ... I am expressing my opinion, I can't stress that enough, I just want to help you all understand it, But, as I said, this is only my experience and opinion, I don't know what I'm speculating, Listen and accept peoples differing view points, It is merely my opinion, But, as I said, this is only my experience and opinion, I just commented on this forum to express my opinion, You know my opinion on this matter so I'll leave that, I am expressing my opinion, I can't stress that enough, I must disagree with the 'newer is not always better'. In this case, I personally find that it is,

Getting back to the original point, and original topic of this thread: "Why-do-so-many-people-still-use-Trainz-2006 ?",

Someone actually wrote and posted these phrases in this thread, and I Quote: A thought that's just occurred is the amount of people still using trainz 2006, simply why ? Ok, lots of people keep asking me why it irritates me so much why users keep on using TRS06 so I will re-iterate what was originally posted. For those who don't have the ability to read things thoroughly: " It just irritates me the amount of people that when you release something, they make a request for a backdated version."

If you want to double check my posts then go ahead, you will not find me saying anywhere that TRS2006 will stop working at the flick of a switch,
I merely suggested that it is a possibility that it will stop working in the future, as I'm sure most games eventually will.
Eventually, something will happen that means '06 can no longer be used, as I'm sure will happen for TS12.
I have said this from the start, it's not spreading misleading information,
I'm not saying that in a few weeks TRS2006 will just stop working,
But that eventually something will happen like the DLS is cleared of all content dated before TS2009 or something
I don't know what I'm speculating.
But let's be honest, all games eventually get so out of date that they simply don't work.
People may get new computers that don't run TRS2006.
For example, my PC doesn't run MSTS anymore due to some compatibility issues.
In the future, something similar may occur with TRS2006. I don't want it to, but in all probability it's bound to happen.
When I say TRS2006 has a limited time left, I don't mean legally.
I mean that it's approaching its time to go.
I too have old games, but classics such as SimCity 4 which will never age.
TRS2006 unfortunately does not fall as a classic in my opinion,
So I think that users have limited time left in it before they must upgrade.
However, I still see why some people like it to more recent versions, and don't blame them for choosing it.
I just think that '06 has had its time.
I think that after a set deadline, eg: 31st December 2015 all content on the DLS should be available for TS2009 minimum,
And any existing content must be upgraded. It will force people to upgrade,
And while this may not be received well initially, realistically how long will users wait before upgrading?
Otherwise we'll always have people who continue to make assets only to be pestered to make them compatible with past versions of Trainz.
I can see why some people still use older versions, but I think they are on a very restricted time limit as to how long they can remain using them before they disappear.
I have to agree that TRS2006 is very outdated.
I'm still using TS10 because it's not dramatically different to the later versions of TS12
The vast majority of content on the DLS can still be used on TS10,
I'll upgrade when necessary, for example when it starts looking dated. I originally stopped using Trainz 06 for that reason.
I know my copy of trainz is 3 years old now which in computer terms is practically Victorian, but I'd rather use something that was Victorian rather than Stone Age.
So to conclude my rant about the Trainz 2006 Luddites; get with the times!

Someone actually wrote and posted these phrases in this thread, and I Quote: Lighten up please, and if you must insist on joining in on this thread, and :Jeez mate, lighten up I didn't think a train simulation game meant that much to you, and ... :Get with the times! and ... :Well you didn't have to read this thread if you feel that.

In short I have seen the light, and I too concur that TRS2006 is so dated, that everyone should jump ship right away, and get a higher version, before it's too late. But I am not saying that TRS2006 will stop working at the flick of a switch, I merely suggested that it is a possibility that it will stop working in the future, as I'm sure most games eventually will.
Eventually, something will happen that means '06 can no longer be used.

I used to love TRS2006, but I'm skipping right past my TS10, and going right for TS12, with SP1, so I can run the DLC NKP Berkshire ... Go TS12-SP1 ... Yea !

Last edited:
I don't think they have any UK content ... as they are a US company ... and they not in the UK. I have never seen any USLW assets with those springy "Buffer" thingies.

In my humble opinion: The real selling point of TS12 that entices me, is the NKP Berkshire DLC ... I am expressing my opinion, I can't stress that enough, I just want to help you all understand it, But, as I said, this is only my experience and opinion, I don't know what I'm speculating, Listen and accept peoples differing view points, It is merely my opinion, But, as I said, this is only my experience and opinion, I just commented on this forum to express my opinion, You know my opinion on this matter so I'll leave that, I am expressing my opinion, I can't stress that enough, I must disagree with the 'newer is not always better'. In this case, I personally find that it is,

Getting back to the original point, and original topic of this thread: "Why-do-so-many-people-still-use-Trainz-2006 ?",

Someone actually wrote and posted these phrases in this thread, and I Quote: A thought that's just occurred is the amount of people still using trainz 2006, simply why ? Ok, lots of people keep asking me why it irritates me so much why users keep on using TRS06 so I will re-iterate what was originally posted. For those who don't have the ability to read things thoroughly: " It just irritates me the amount of people that when you release something, they make a request for a backdated version."

If you want to double check my posts then go ahead ...

... The vast majority of content on the DLS can still be used on TS10,
I'll upgrade when necessary, for example when it starts looking dated. I originally stopped using Trainz 06 for that reason.
I know my copy of trainz is 3 years old now which in computer terms is practically Victorian, but I'd rather use something that was Victorian rather than Stone Age.
So to conclude my rant about the Trainz 2006 Luddites; get with the times!

Someone actually wrote and posted these phrases in this thread, and I Quote: Lighten up please, and if you must insist on joining in on this thread, and :Jeez mate, lighten up I didn't think a train simulation game meant that much to you, and ... :Get with the times! and ... :Well you didn't have to read this thread if you feel that.

In short I have seen the light, and I too concur that TRS2006 is so dated, that everyone should jump ship right away, and get a higher version, before it's too late. But I am not saying that TRS2006 will stop working at the flick of a switch, I merely suggested that it is a possibility that it will stop working in the future, as I'm sure most games eventually will.
Eventually, something will happen that means '06 can no longer be used.

I used to love TRS2006, but I'm skipping right past my TS10, and going right for TS12, with SP1, so I can run the DLC NKP Berkshire ... Go TS12-SP1 ... Yea !

Ah a handy little post for summarising the whole thread, how useful ...

The trick with posting on the internet is to keep your posts, reasonably short and sweet.
I notice on your forum thingy that you actually use TS10.

Someone actually wrote and posted these phrases in this thread and I quote: "You'd also get pretty ticked off, if someone came around, intent on bashing your favorite thing in life, and said about yer' Dawg ... That it was so ugly ... That it should be shaved, & trained to walk backwards ... hit a sore spot ... you did ... Don't pour salt in my wound."

I think the use of the phrase 'lighten up' was justified in this instance.

If you want to go over thing with a fine-toothed comb, he repeated a form of misinformation that the game will stop working not once, but many times over. One could have cut him slack had he made the misinformed statement once, but not after reiterating it so many times.

Unfortunately, a lot of people really think that their software will up and stop working, and that they need to upgrade before that happens. The software industry depends on that ignorance/misinformation and does little to set the record straight.

Even worse is that an increasing number of software makers - including with the latest version of Trainz SP1 - literally have been implementing a kind of "kill switch" that would make PortLineParker's misinformation into a reality.

The reason why I switched was not due to hype or some sort of false intuition that TRS06 was going to magically vanish or corrupt on my PC, but merely because I wanted to be part of the ongoing evolution of trainz, I realised that TS10 was a vast improvement on TS06, as I'm sure is the same reason why most of other users on here switched. In fact I did my 'homework' on TS10 and I didn't buy the game until the 2nd patch for it was released.

Last edited:
Back