Why do so many people still use Trainz 2006?

To sum things up, may I ask, what was the main overall reason that this thread was started in the first place, as it seems to start off from the "get go", pointing fingers at TRS2006 users, pointing out their poor choice of a Trainz program, telling them what to do, and shaming them for their own freedom of choice to run TRS2006 ?

There must have been an underlying reason "why" to start such a sickening, finger pointing, irritating thread, that seems to pick on peoples own freedom of choice to run TRS2006.

It really hurts to have your personal choices deliberately stomped on, degrading a whole group of Trainzers, which are pointed out in this thread as: O6 users.

I find this thread very insulting, and it seems to be deliberate, set out to degrade a certain group of Trainzers, which are pointed out in this thread as: O6 users.

This guy seems to have summed things up:
I've watched this thread since its start. And all the long drawn reasons aside, the reason is this. THEY CHOOSE TO. If you don't like their choice, oh well.

I humbly ask that moderators examine how insulting, and sickening it is to be discriminated against, by people criticizing our personal freedom of choice, and that this thread be closed !

If I started off a thread like this, I would be raked over the hot coals:

A thought that's just occurred is the amount of people still using trainz 2006, simply why? I'm going to get flamed for writing this but I much prefer using TS10, the Auran JET graphics engine has been slightly improved, everything looks crisper and better and I like the speed treez. It just irritates me the amount of people that when you release something, they make a request for a backdated version. Why are some users still using a game that's over 7 years old? I know some games are timeless like Simcity 4 and Railroad Tycoon, but Trainz 2006 hasn't aged well, most simulators rarely do (unless it's the Sims). Some of the pixels in Trainz 06 are like the size of a human fist.

But getting back on track, why do these people refuse to update? I mean it must be a pain in the backside with all this brilliant content that has been released being unavailable to download because you're still stuck in the 'good ol days when N3V was called Auran and all their stuff seemed to magically work without any dodgy patches needed, blah, blah, blah ...' Get with the times! I know my copy of trainz is 3 years old now which in computer terms is practically Victorian, but I'd rather use something that was Victorian rather than Stone Age.

So to conclude my rant about the Trainz 2006 Luddites; get with the times!

Yes I'm fully aware that my forum thingy says I've used trainz 2006, but that was back then.

You see this deliberately degrades an entire group of Trainzers ... and how hurtfull this forum is getting to be, with all the unpleasant pointing fingers, critcizing our personal freedom of choice.

I cry: This is Discrimination !

And I'm told: Lighten up, Get with the times, lie down, That the program I made a personal freedom of choice to run is, Quote: from the "Stone Age", I didn't think a train simulation game meant that much to you, and ... Get with the times ! and ... Well you didn't have to read this thread if you feel that, and that I/we 06 users are being forced to have to take this deliberate discrimination, like a slap in the face ! How awful an unpleasent place this forum is becomming !

The reason why I read the thead in the first place, was because it dirrectly insulted a group of Trainzers, and myself, being TRS2006 users, insulting our/my personal freedom of choice's.

Why do I care ? ... Because I do CARE !

There have been discrimination lawsuits all over the world against persons making discriminating statements and documents against specific types and groups of people.

Where the words 06 and TRS2006 exist in this thread, place instead there the words: TS09, TS10, Black, White, Asian, Hispanic, Hundu, Muslum, Christian, Hebrew, Male, Female ... etc ... etc ... all of the different sects of society ... and you will see the discrmination here, throghout this entire thread ! This sickens me to see this being allowed to happen here on the Forum !

And that is my own personal OPINION !

Last edited:
To sum things up, may I ask, what was the main overall reason that this thread was started in the first place, as it seems to start off from the "get go", pointing fingers at TRS2006 users, pointing out their poor choice of a Trainz program, telling them what to do, and shaming them for their own freedom of choice to run TRS2006 ?

There must have been an underlying reason "why" to start such a sickening, finger pointing, irritating thread, that seems to pick on peoples own freedom of choice to run TRS2006.

It really hurts to have your personal choices deliberately stomped on, degrading a whole group of Trainzers, which are pointed out in this thread as: O6 users.

I find this thread very insulting, and it seems to be deliberate, set out to degrade a certain group of Trainzers, which are pointed out in this thread as: O6 users.

I humbly ask that moderators examine how insulting, and sickening it is to be discriminated against, by people criticizing our personal freedom of choice, and that this thread be closed !

You see this deliberately degrades an entire group of Trainzers ... and how hurtfull this forum is getting to be, with all the unpleasant pointing fingers, critcizing our personal freedom of choice.

And I'm told: Lighten up, Get with the times, lie down, That the program I made a personal freedom of choice to run is, Quote: from the "Stone Age", I didn't think a train simulation game meant that much to you, and ... Get with the times ! and ... Well you didn't have to read this thread if you feel that, and that I/we 06 users are being forced to have to take this deliberate discrimination, like a slap in the face ! How awful an unpleasent place this forum is becomming !

The reason why I read the thead in the first place, was because it dirrectly insulted a group of Trainzers, and myself, being TRS2006 users, insulting our/my personal freedom of choice's.

I'm not sure I agree with you. I create content and I have had numerous requests to modify content so it runs in an earlier version. A leftover from this are effectively duplicate versions in the DLS where the original was specially created for a particular version then it's been error corrected by the community to be error free when there was already an error free version on the DLS under a different kuid. I'm lazy, so creating and testing in more than one version of Trainz these days is I feel an imposition. People running old versions of Trainz do have an impact on other users, especially on the support side. Even on the forum there is only that much time and expertise lying around and it does get diverted into responding to questions on the earlier versions.

The thread has explored some of the reasons why people might like to stay with TRS2004, TRS2006, TC1, TC2, TC3. It has also explored some of the advantages of updating. I think it has explored some of the issues involved.

Are we saying that the subject is one of religion or belief and thus shouldn't be questioned?

Reality is a lot of TRS2004, TRS2006, TC1, TC2, and TC3 users never read the forums anyway so the thread won't have a huge impact, N3V's $9.99 will probably have more but if it manages to lessen the number of requests I get to back date content than I'm a happy camper and the thread's existence is more than justified.

Cheerio John

There have been discrimination lawsuits all over the world against persons making discriminating statements and documents against specific types and groups of people.

Where the words 06 and TRS2006 exist in this thread, place instead there the words: TS09, TS10, Black, White, Asian, Hispanic, Hundu, Muslum, Christian, Hebrew, Male, Female ... etc ... etc ... all of the different sects of society ... and you will see the discrmination here, throghout this entire thread ! This sickens me to see this being allowed to happen here on the Forum !

And that is my own personal OPINION !

"To sum things up, may I ask, what was the main overall reason that this thread was started in the first place, as it seems to start off from the "get go", pointing fingers at TRS2006 users, pointing out their poor choice of a Trainz program, telling them what to do, and shaming them for their own freedom of choice to run TRS2006 ?"

Very reasonable question and one that I will obligingly answer, I started this thread to instigate a discussion about why some people still use TRS06 and the thread has explored some very interesting areas as John has already pointed out. There should be more threads like this, which has encouraged such a diverse range of opinions would be beneficial for the trainz forum.

The underlying reason why I posted this thread? Well lately I've started to really get into content creation, and I've had a recent spate of requests for my stuff to be backdated.
I'm not deliberately setting out to rubbish TRS06 users, I'm simply asking why they continue to use the game when, there is in my opinion bigger and better things available. I've had some very interesting responses and most of the other people who have replied to this thread didn't take it as a personal insult.
This wasn't intended as a personal insult to you or anybody else who uses Trainz 06, as I'm sure most of the other users can see.

"Where the words 06 and TRS2006 exist in this thread, place instead there the words: TS09, TS10, Black, White, Asian, Hispanic, Hundu, Muslum, Christian, Hebrew, Male, Female ... etc ... etc ... all of the different sects of society ... and you will see the discrmination here, throghout this entire thread ! This sickens me to see this being allowed to happen here on the Forum !"

I'm sorry but I do find this statement rather amusing, you've amazingly managed to compare me to a bigot by simply asking people why they won't update a computer game.

Last edited:
As an interesting aside from somebody who has been watching these forums for a long time:

Four years ago, this thread would have been about TRS2004. That was the version that "everybody" used. TRS2006 was a no-go zone, Trainz Classics was too niche, and TS2009 was too different.

Sound familiar?

As to people who use only TRS2006- I'm glad you like it. A lot of hard work went into it. Of course, a lot of hard work has gone into all the versions of Trainz, so we'd also love it if you tried some of the other versions- but all in its own time.

chris

Glad you like it, but here is a hint in the right direction

As to people who use only TRS2006- I'm glad you like it. A lot of hard work went into it. Of course, a lot of hard work has gone into all the versions of Trainz, so we'd also love it if you tried some of the other versions- but all in its own time.
Glad you like TS2006... but to give you a hint in the right direction: People without a version past TS2006 can not use the DLS without an active FCT and new FCT's are not sold to you without a newer version :p.

Glad you like TS2006... but to give you a hint in the right direction: People without a version past TS2006 can not use the DLS without an active FCT and new FCT's are not sold to you without a newer version :p.

Firstly, N3V is a business- we support our active customers. Somebody who hasn't bought a game from us in ~8 years is not really a customer.

Secondly, if we were to sell you an FCT for TRS2006, you would rightly complain that (1) the download station is focused on the newer products, and (2) that we're not maintaining our systems in such a way that the older products will work. These would be very reasonable complaints if you were paying money for such a product. Since we don't have any interest in focusing on legacy products, we don't take people's money under that premise.

kind regards,

chris

Now that we all fully understand about TRS2006 being unsupported, and the many benefits of higher versions of Trainz ... I respectfully ask: Can we please have this thread closed ?

It appears that this thread is a deliberately offensive, abrasively irritating topic, written by upper class Trainzers (TS09, TS10, TS12 users), and that this thread no longer serves any beneficial purpose, other than to irritate and aggravate those lower class Trainzers (in this case TRS2006 users), those who can not afford to buy higher versions of Trainz.

Last edited:
With all respect - and pse forgive me if I have missed any points in previous discussions -
Why can't the latest upgrades and fixes be fixed so we can upgrade and fix our latest versions of trainz and still enjoy any earlier version we choose to.
It is a collection of trainz versions worth keeping .

I respectfully ask: Can we please have this thread closed ?

I think this thread has merit, and while a few people have been a bit pointed in their replies, I don't think anyone's going really over-the-top or being deliberately offensive. If the topic offends you, I'd recommend reading a different thread.

jjanmarine3 said:
Why can't the latest upgrades and fixes be fixed so we can upgrade and fix our latest versions of trainz and still enjoy any earlier version we choose to.
It is a collection of trainz versions worth keeping .

I'm not really sure what you're asking here really. Could you please reword the question?

kind regards,

chris

I'm not really sure what you're asking here really. Could you please reword the question?

kind regards,

chris[/QUOTE]

Hi WindWalkr.
I do not understand why the latest patches cannot be sorted ( as in the past ) so that everyone who wants to upgrade does not have to contend with all the problems it causes, will there be automatic patches from build 49922 upwards that work for everyone or will things stay as is .

There's a simple answer - if you do not want to contend with the problems, don't install the patch that causes said problems. Chris may have a different view, but that's how I see it.

Another thing - whether a patch works or doesn't work for someone is largely down to their specific system configuration.

Shane

I use TRS2006 and TC. TRS2006 has more built-in content, but the latter allows for more accuracy in the Surveyor and smother ride in the Driver. I tried TS2009, but no thank you! My life is too short to wait until the blue screen disappear after I add a single tree in the Surveyor or to perform extensive database repair after downloading a single asset.

I do not understand why the latest patches cannot be sorted ( as in the past ) so that everyone who wants to upgrade does not have to contend with all the problems it causes..

As shane has suggested, this isn't really something that we can provide a one-size-fits-all answer for. SP1 with the current patches install works beautifully on the various test configurations that we maintain. We have in the past released a number of fixes for specific issues that people in the community have reported to us, and I expect that we will continue to do this in the future.

..will there be automatic patches from build 49922 upwards that work for everyone or will things stay as is .

Without getting into specific versions: we issue autopatches whenever we feel that it is appropriate. The only advantage of the autopatch is that it will prompt you to download it, rather than requiring you to download it yourself, so if there's a manual patch available for your build then feel free to install that instead of waiting for an autopatch.

kind regards,

chris

I use TRS2006 and TC. TRS2006 has more built-in content, but the latter allows for more accuracy in the Surveyor and smother ride in the Driver. I tried TS2009, but no thank you! My life is too short to wait until the blue screen disappear after I add a single tree in the Surveyor or to perform extensive database repair after downloading a single asset.

In a way this isn't suprising, TS2009 really was the first version of a huge revamp of the code, it primary reason for existence was to allow content creators something to play with so they could come to grips with the new code. There was a TS2009 content creators forum where we had deep discussions about how Trainz works and what works and what doesn't work performance wise etc. and I think it was the information that came out of that forum in many ways that has helped the SIM along. TS12 has evolved from the TS2009 code, TS2010 really was the first of the newer versions aimed at consumers.

Cheerio John

In a way this isn't suprising, TS2009 really was the first version of a huge revamp of the code, it primary reason for existence was to allow content creators something to play with so they could come to grips with the new code. There was a TS2009 content creators forum where we had deep discussions about how Trainz works and what works and what doesn't work performance wise etc. and I think it was the information that came out of that forum in many ways that has helped the SIM along. TS12 has evolved from the TS2009 code, TS2010 really was the first of the newer versions aimed at consumers.

Cheerio John

That's right. We seem to forget the legacy sometimes of where our beloved program comes from. It would be nice if N3V has something like this for future Trainz versions.

John

Regarding the issue of people asking for later versions to be backdated, I say that 'Gimme Pigs are in all versions of trainz, so why tar all members who prefer the older versions with the same brush.

Windwalker's claim that users of old version are not customers grates on me as you can see I have a number of versions listed. This applies to many users, we just prefer to use the older ones.
My tree will not have another version after TS12 listed on it thats for sure.
Cheers,
Mike

Last edited:
I seem to remember a lot of users screaming creators not making content for newer versions after the 2009 release. Even now the accuse users of older versions somehow holding them back. Remember the you don't support N3V mantra after the 2009 release?
I do.

Regarding the issue of people asking for later versions to be backdated, I say that 'Gimme Pigs are in all versions of trainz, so why tar all members who prefer the older versions with the same brush.

Cheers,
Mike

I think the difference is the content has been made and is available in a later version so the end user has control if they want to use it or not. If I spend time back dating it that's time I'm not spending on creating something else. There is a cost involved and I don't see why the end user who wants something back dated shouldn't bear the cost.

Cheerio John

hello to all:

who cares if members uses trs06. so whats the big deal, we like trs06 and its our choice to choose to upgrade or not. case closed. I or we at trs06 could say that about trs04 but we are grown up enough not to bother them at something silly like this thread. this goes to the member who wrote this silly post anyway. this has nothing to do with the sponses in this thread.

I could say the same thing about your version in the future when your trinz version is 6 years old,
to the person who wrote this thread, do not make a federal case out this: case closed.

brakemen

Back