Why do so many people still use Trainz 2006?

@Windwalkr - If it is simply a business decision to not sell an FCT to the owner of a legacy product (2006 and older), so be it. BUT, I think it is a bit disingenuous to give your secondary reasons:

Secondly, if we were to sell you an FCT for TRS2006, you would rightly complain that (1) the download station is focused on the newer products, and (2) that we're not maintaining our systems in such a way that the older products will work. These would be very reasonable complaints if you were paying money for such a product. Since we don't have any interest in focusing on legacy products, we don't take people's money under that premise.

I doubt that you check whether an owner has TR12+SP1 before you sell them a "Nickel Plate High Speed Freight Set". Instead, you put a disclaimer with the ad that specifies the conditions under which the DLC will work. Why not put a similar disclaimer under the ads for the FCT, and let the prospective purchaser decide, as you do with the Berkshire DLC?

@ Legacy Trainz owners: Under the assumption that N3V does NOT change its policy, why not purchase and register 2009 or 2010 (around $10 US each). Then you can purchase any FCT you desire. I know, the FCT ends up costing more, but only once. I would take seriously, though, the concerns of WindWalkr (above, in bold). Remember, the FCT is a license to download from the DLS, NOT a license to badger creators to backdate newer content.

hello again:

this is to all creators for trainz versions earlier and later versions , my hats off to you, you guys really know how to make some great rolling stock and engines. so with out the creators for all these trainz versions for all the other members myself included we would be lost just to find some stuff for our version of trainz and even my version also which is becoming obsolete soon, but you know it does not bother me.

I'm willing to buy the trs2010 I think I'm ready now, I think once I get use to 2010 it will not be that bad.

thanks for all of the hard work in makeing the content for all the trainz simulators. if it is rolling stock,engines, industries, or just buildings. keep up the good work in the future trainz simulators and I might see you there.

keep chugging along

brakemen

hello again:

this is to all creators for trainz versions earlier and later versions , my hats off to you, you guys really know how to make some great rolling stock and engines. so with out the creators for all these trainz versions for all the other members myself included we would be lost just to find some stuff for our version of trainz and even my version also which is becoming obsolete soon, but you know it does not bother me.

I'm willing to buy the trs2010 I think I'm ready now, I think once I get use to 2010 it will not be that bad.

thanks for all of the hard work in makeing the content for all the trainz simulators. if it is rolling stock,engines, industries, or just buildings. keep up the good work in the future trainz simulators and I might see you there.

keep chugging along

brakemen

Why not go mad and get the $9.99 upgrade to TS12.

Cheerio John

I would love to know where the $9.99 version is, as it's not on Simulator Central.

Shane

An email was sent out to all registered users of Trainz who hadn't registered their copy of TS12. It's a discount code and I think someone posted it in the forum.

Cheerio John

Sign-up for the newsletter; Every now and then there is a nice discount action.
Wasn't it with "fathers day" they also offered TS12 for $9,99?

With TS12 Boxed Disc's, is the SP1 now included in the disc ?
I would want a disc without the pre-installed SP1

Suposedly the code also applies a 75% off price to the boxed disc order of $9.99 (but a $14.99 S&H boosts it back up to 24.95)

Last edited:
I'm signed up to the newsletter and didn't get the discount code, although I've gathered from another Trainz user that only users who didn't have TS12 registered got the code via the newsletter.

As for the boxed version, I don't know if it's got SP1 or not, but I know the digital download version has been said as having SP1 by quite a few users.

Shane

I find 2006 useful in removing shadow.pm file errors in 2009/10/12 where the config text file does not contain a pm file line. Import asset into 2006, remove shadow from mesh, save and commit. Open file in edit, delete original file from 2009/10/12 and import back . No shadow pm file error.

I find 2006 useful in removing shadow.pm file errors in 2009/10/12 where the config text file does not contain a pm file line. Import asset into 2006, remove shadow from mesh, save and commit. Open file in edit, delete original file from 2009/10/12 and import back . No shadow pm file error.

Yes but using pev's tool to add a shadow is fairly painless and the end result is more realistic.

Cheerio John

A thought that's just occurred is the amount of people still using trainz 2006, simply why? I'm going to get flamed for writing this but I much prefer using TS10, the Auran JET graphics engine has been slightly improved, everything looks crisper and better and I like the speed treez.
I see your 2006 and raise (?) you 2 years to go 2004.

When I first discovered Trainz I got it through "obscure" channels. Ran into the issue of sites where you couldn't download much content but in the end I had a nice playground to, well, play trains and without the hassle of having to clear the table to set up my H20 set.

Later on I ran into 2004 and that was the first version I got officially. It was a bit of a love / hate relationship because I was hoping to get access to more contents but unfortunately my expectations were set a bit too high. Nonetheless I heavily enjoyed that one to no end.

Forgot all about Trainz in the mean time and around 2009 I had moved to my current apartment, got myself a PS3 because I don't like playing games on the PC any longer (also because I heavily rely on my PC for work) but still got persuaded to grab Trainz 2009, which turned out into a huge disappointment for me. Ugh.. The critter hardly ran on my computer, slow, sluggish, hated it. But I still liked playing with trains every once in a while, so ended up with 2004. I could make routes, I could make some sceneries (I care more about the trains, the steering sections (I'm not an expert) and the track I can lay out (switches and stuff)).

Sceneries are nice, I love some of the tutorials and what you can do with the landscape, but to me it's only icing on the cake. Pixels the size of my 1024x768 monitor? Who cares. As long as I can see, imagine and enjoy what I'm playing with I'm happy.

Seems 2012 shifted things back in the right direction. I'm on the same hardware (did perform some minor upgrades in between) and it most certainly seems to bring back the feeling of being able to quickly and easily lay out some nice tracks.

So yeah; I see your 2006. Several months ago I was still firing up 2004 from time to time :)

PS: Sorry for barging in, just looking around and thought this thread to be interesting.

Last edited:
I'm on the same hardware (did perform some minor upgrades in between)

If you did some "upgrades", did that include "hardware" ?
If so that invalidates the first bit of the above quoted. Be nice to know what you upgraded, that allowed
TS12 to run better on a machine that 2009 wouldn't. :D

Seems 2012 shifted things back in the right direction. I'm on the same hardware (did perform some minor upgrades in between) and it most certainly seems to bring back the feeling of being able to quickly and easily lay out some nice tracks.

If your machine runs TS12 well, it should run TS2010 well, especially if one of the minor upgrades included a video card or even just a new video driver. TS2009 and earlier versions are more CPU-bound, but whether or not that's really a problem depends as much on the content being used, not as much the game engine/hardware itself. Modern SpeedTrees, for instance, can be offloaded onto the GPU, letting the CPU do other work. But a lot of folks here will say that low-poly non-ST vegetation can actually boost performance, and some of it (especially recently released content by clam1952, etc.) look as good, if not better, than many SpeedTree-based assets.

If you did some "upgrades", did that include "hardware" ?
Yes and no (my favourite answer ;)).

Between then and now Windows Vista got replaced with Windows 7, which turned out into a huge advantage on all ends. I also increased the memory to the maximum capacity of 4Gb. And finally replaced a video card, but with another model which closely matched the specs I already had (my main concern was a good video card, not a high end one in order to play games).

So in my opinion minor upgrades.

I still have my TRS2006 just for nostalgia, and it's a great way to test compatibility of things I have backdated.

Plus, who ever said older isn't better?

I don't have a problem running TS12, and am happy to test new content in it, but I find it very tiring on my eyes.
TC3 is much easier viewing so I stay there.
Chris.

Back