Want to get into content creation, need some help.

May as well look into a newer program just incase I reader be safe the sorry as much as i hate starting over 3D Canvas I've used before along time ago so i'll import meshs and make backups.

This completely depends on the level of flexibility of the old exporters. Just because the Jet engine did not support the new features, does not mean that the exporter is incapable of it.

I have no idea what you're talking about here?

chris
I've been told the normal map issue has been passed on to the dev team, however, it sounds like there was a miscommunication so I'll show it here.

When I enable normal maps, the object clearly looks cut up in the game, almost as if the exporter cut the single mesh into a bunch of smaller meshes. It's extremely apparent on cars where you need polished metal or similar because the highlights bring out the cuts. If I disable the normal map on export the object is completely fine.

Here is a picture from early development of my Budd coaches with normal maps enabled.
1eb8b69aed3a41b717e078206152b8f6.png

I loved Lotus123, but had to get used to Excel.
I loved WordPerfect, but had to get used to Word.
I loved Lview Pro1b (15+ years old), which not works on Win8, haven't found something I like yet.
I loved Netscape, but had to get used to IExplorer.
I was certified in eMatrix software, ended up using a complete different software suite on the next assignment.

Some software stops being supported or even stops working (or your new employer simply doesn't use it). It happens. You move on to newer (or different) software.
Usually similar software has similar functionality and you "only" have to learn new short-cuts or buttons.

And for now, it isn't even clear yet some of you have to move on (yet) to newer software.

I understand what you are saying, but this is more like going from photoshop to paint.net or gimp. it isnt about outdated software, it is about exchanging a totally functional and powerful tool for something that requires a totally new approach to produce output that may or may not even reach the same level of quality. only at that point do you get in to having to learn using new software. I could almost certainly guarantee my workflow would not be compatible with blender, and would require a complete re-evaluation.

I loved Lotus123, but had to get used to Excel.
I loved WordPerfect, but had to get used to Word.
I loved Lview Pro1b (15+ years old), which not works on Win8, haven't found something I like yet.
I loved Netscape, but had to get used to IExplorer.
I was certified in eMatrix software, ended up using a complete different software suite on the next assignment.

Some software stops being supported or even stops working (or your new employer simply doesn't use it). It happens. You move on to newer (or different) software.
Usually similar software has similar functionality and you "only" have to learn new short-cuts or buttons.

And for now, it isn't even clear yet some of you have to move on (yet) to newer software.

The difference is the change was part of your work environment, you had to use the new stuff as a condition for keeping your job. Not many content creators make a living out of creating content so its for the fun of it. Take away the fun and what's left?

Cheerio John

I loved ...(or your new employer simply doesn't use it)....
The difference here is that Trainz is not our employer. Content Creators do it for the love of the game, at least the freeware ones and I'm sure even the payware gang also loves doing it too.

We're undecided at this point whether the existing exporters will fill our requirements for TANE. You will still be able to use them to create TS12 content, and then import that content into TANE, but there's no guarantee that you'll be able to create native TANE content using the old exporters.

chris
ouch!, why do I suddenly eel a cold draft?

Is it possible to use the tools you are comfortable with to create the models then use Blender, or the newly supported program, to import and export to the final version? I've done that in the past with other programs. It's not the most convenient, but it worked.

John

Is it possible to use the tools you are comfortable with to create the models then use Blender, or the newly supported program, to import and export to the final version? I've done that in the past with other programs. It's not the most convenient, but it worked.
You probably could John but why bother when building with one platform i have enough trouble, All way too late after i have already handed over my hard earned money only to find out it could be a complete waste.
Mick.

This gets me worried non the less but the bust we can do is wait and see what happens something good will come out of it at some point some one will make it possible for us all to keep doing what we love most with a new program or add on that will fix are worry's or so we can hope. :)

I think we all can agree on that.

John

Often one needs to complete re map/texture the item, there is also animation to consider, which often does not work after conversion.

Why do I think we Max users are suddenly somehow letdown and up the garden path? I though the PREMIUM 3D program mostly used in the gaming industry is suddenly condemned by N3V.

Lennard

Why do I think we Max users are suddenly somehow letdown and up the garden path? I though the PREMIUM 3D program mostly used in the gaming industry is suddenly condemned by N3V.

Nobody from N3V has condemned anything. It's probably a good idea to get your facts straight before posting.

chris

Many of your remarks suggest that N3V may not create an updated exporter for Max

I have stated that we are reviewing our options, and taking feedback from our users. If you guys want to jump to speculation about what that means for the future, then go ahead, but don't claim that we've made announcements when we haven't.

chris

I've got every sympathy with Auran and with anyone else lumbered with Autodesk or Adobe products simply because they are the so-called market leaders. Last year my office moved over from Autocad to an alternative called Bricscad and saved ourselves £10,000 in the process. After twelve months all of my staff agree that Bricscad is better software and doesn't have a permanent contract implication (or invasive licensing DRM) In addition, if you report a bug you get a polite reply and, usually, a fix within a reasonable timescale.

Software to use in house will be a harder decision for Auran because Blender is not a Max lookalike/workalike. At first sight it has an unfriendly interface (but then Max and GMax are also pretty intimidating for a first time user) It will be harder to find staff with Blender experience.

I would estimate that the chance of Auran dropping support for Max entirely is just about zero, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a shift of emphasis.

I don't think it likely that N3V will drop support for Max as that is what they will be using. Equally it's a no brainer that the main free content creation program will be Blender instead of GMax.

Paul

I have stated that we are reviewing our options, and taking feedback from our users. If you guys want to jump to speculation about what that means for the future, then go ahead, but don't claim that we've made announcements when we haven't.

chris

By now anyone who felt the need to reply to ya little poll has done so.

So .. Is there an 'announcement' in the wings ? or will it wait to the rumored release in January of the content specs for your 'new' game ...

As per ya Kickstarter update #21

January - Content Specifications prepared and distributed to Content Creators

or are you still 'thinking' about this. ;)

Inquiring mind ..

What the heck is "TANE" anyhow?

Games come and go and I find ways to excrete my creative juices in them. I started out with a Commodore 64 and figured out how to make simple (VERY simple) games with their programming stuff.

Then I got a PC and was involved with BlackHawk Down and making single player missions for the Delta Force Barracks website (was that only 8 years ago?!).

I did other stuff for a while then discovered TRAINZ. For a while, I only messed around with reskinning and route-making until I discovered how easy GMax was. I tried Blender, but just couldn't get comfortable with it.

I have really enjoyed making assets for Trainz. I guess I will continue. And I will continue using GMax. I don't consider it a waste of time to create assets in GMax. If it stops working for future versions of Trainz, then so be it. I have no control over that aspect. But what I get is the enjoyment of creating something that people like and can use, and reading a "good job" comment in my freeware thread. That makes it worthwhile for me.

Nothing lasts forever. I wish N3V all the success in the world with their new Trainz engine. Someday I'll probably upgrade to Windows 7 so I can play the new version. Someday there may be a NEW and user-friendly program out there whereby we content creators can jump in and learn and add new stuff to the future DLS.

Yes, there aren't very many of us "Content Creators" out there right now. There used to be LOTS more. I don't know what happened to all those who have left our community. Maybe they found a new "thing" or got bored, or found a new way to make money, or maybe they just passed away. That "World of Trainz" website was really impressive and their content was, too, but for some reason they closed up shop (I think).

As new people find Trainz and come on board there will probably be new content creators who will awe us with their creations. There's probably some youngster out there right now who will be providing us with a SD100 or AC99000! LOL!

Anyhow, I'm glad I discovered Trainz. It's been fun and it will continue to be, for me anyhow. But as the old song goes, The Times they are A'Changin'."

Cheers,

Dave

Though I don't really use Gmax for anything except when working with Dragonharh, I use Blender and Skeatchup for my modeling. I build the Trains in Skeatchup, and export them to .obj for finalizing in Blender, and for bringing that poly count down.

Back