How can a PHYSICAL electric model train layout be made to operate automatically?

JonMyrlennBailey

This would be something like Trainz AI control but hopefully more realistic and much more reliable. I have a small HO scale layout in mind. What materials and products need to be bought and what skills need to be employed to make this happen? For instance, I want model trains to be made to run by themselves. I want braking and acceleration to conform to real world physics. Trains should not speed up or stop too abruptly. Real-world railroad signal logic need not apply. Trains should not get in each other's way or crash into one another. Trains should be made to run on programmable schedules.

Basically you can run it all under a computer's control. The tricky bit is the interface to run the trains and switch the points or switches as I think you call them.

They normally use DCC but that can get expensive. Mind you software like TrainController doesn't come cheap.

If you're controlling the locos with a conventional speed controller then it's possible to use something like a Raspberry pi to control a suitable thyristor.

do a google search "raspberry pi control train" for more information. A raspberry pi has better input output for this sort of thing than a window machine.

Cheerio John

Thanks, Mr. Whelan:

DCC, digital command control, yes, I would want loco lights and passenger car interior lights to remain at constant brightness and two or more trains to be controlled independently on the same layout.

Yes, I fancy only DCC locomotives. I want realistic sounds as bell, whistle, horn, engine, airbrakes and so on. I want realistic sights as loco exhaust smoke. I want the vehicle lights to be operational even on static trucks and automobiles. I want a working travelling Santa sleigh with reindeer model on some kind on some kind of elevated track loop. I want sound recordings as "HO HO HO!, Merry Christmas!" and sleigh bells. I want the NOEAL sign on the mound to be illuminated and the model Christmas tree to be decorated with working lights and a star on top.

Many fantasy PHYSICAL model railroads can be drawn up in Trainz Surveyor. I'm sure some Trainz routes have even inspired some physical train layout designs.

The following video of my latest Trainz Christmas route is a virtual model of the PHYSICAL HO train set I envision. There is only one siding off the figure 8 main line with a bumper. Only one junction points. There is a couple of RR signals for effect. There are no complicated blocks at all. The passenger train would run a few laps, trade places with the freight train on the siding, vice-versa and the whole process would repeat itself over and over. Two trains trading places with one another would back into the siding from the mainline.

Last edited:
It just seems much simpler to just have an automated Trainz layout instead of trying to do AI on a physical train.
Agreed. But if you're into electronics or computers I can see it scratching an itch.

Biggest hurdle I would expect is making the software aware of where the train actually IS and not making assumptions of where it should be.

But then it's becoming almost the same as the real world challenges of handling rail traffic.

Agreed. But if you're into electronics or computers I can see it scratching an itch.

Biggest hurdle I would expect is making the software aware of where the train actually IS and not making assumptions of where it should be.

But then it's becoming almost the same as the real world challenges of handling rail traffic.

For a simple figure 8 HO layout, it just might not be economically feasible to have computerization just for a train running short laps on the main line to periodically trade places with one on the siding. That can easily be done with manual control and DCC. Train will run more or less constant speed on mainline once throttle is set. Some DCC engines have automatic speed control on board to compensate for grades and load changes. RR crossings have their own sensors. Can a hand-held DCC controller throw a railroad switch?

Back