Want to get into content creation, need some help.

I have just seen this but I guess this relates only to current, new and future editions of 3DS Max. If one has an older copy of Max, I guess one is relatively safe with the current Max Exporters from N3V (up to Max 2012 I think). As I have 3DS Max 2009 (woohoo), I also guess I should be relative future proof for some time with 3DS Max, unless someone else tells me different.

We're undecided at this point whether the existing exporters will fill our requirements for TANE. You will still be able to use them to create TS12 content, and then import that content into TANE, but there's no guarantee that you'll be able to create native TANE content using the old exporters.

chris

We're undecided at this point whether the existing exporters will fill our requirements for TANE. You will still be able to use them to create TS12 content, and then import that content into TANE, but there's no guarantee that you'll be able to create native TANE content using the old exporters.

chris

Wow!..........

chris
I don't see how you wouldn't make new exporters if the new engine can do more. That's like buying a Ferrari and limiting it to a Prius engine.

I sure hope there is new exporters that take advantage of the new features, as well as fix the flawed features in the current exporters such as improper normal map cutting.

I can see this thread going the same path as the DRM thread's i just wish you were more up front with this stuff right from the start instead of after people have committed funds to this. Content Creation was one of the important items for me and to find out now you arnt sure which way you will go isn't good enough for me. N3V are starting to sound like a bunch of second hand car salesmen the way all this is going.

Last edited:
Since it brings no benefits whatsoever (at the end of all this, we're just back to square one: "yeah, we have an exporter for the current version of Max") this isn't an ideal use of our resources.

chris

This bring you PLENTY of benefits, as it does the community in general. We need to know sooner than later what's going on. We have serious time and money invested in this, and if you're pulling the plug on new MAX exporters this is something we need to know now before we waste a whole lot of time and money. We will not be moving over to blender, at all.

*Edit: I'm not saying Blender is bad, it's not. But please don't force the ACTIVE content creators into something they don't want. I also think totally dropping MAX is a bad, very bad idea. Let's not shove any more creators out the door, we don't have a ton to begin with, so it's important to keep these folks around. I would hope with the new TANE we also have an influx of new creators that want to invest in content creation, and we should have more than one option.

Mike

Last edited:

exactly the part that bothers me. no ability to create native content without use of.... blender. honestly makes me feel sick inside.

If you want to kill the game then not supporting Max would be a great move. It's absurd to not support what is the industry standard for 3D modelling just because you dont want to update exporters.

I would reader not then learn another modeling program.... :sleep: I'm already use to using Gmax I really don't have the time to learn to use something different and spend n mouths trying to fighter it all out agen.:eek:

Last edited:
I don't see how you wouldn't make new exporters if the new engine can do more.

This completely depends on the level of flexibility of the old exporters. Just because the Jet engine did not support the new features, does not mean that the exporter is incapable of it.

I sure hope there is new exporters that take advantage of the new features, as well as fix the flawed features in the current exporters such as improper normal map cutting.

I have no idea what you're talking about here?

chris

I would reader not then learn another modeling program.... :sleep: I'm already use to using Gmax I really don't have the time to learn to use something different and spend n mouths trying to fighter it all out agen.:eek:

Unfortunately, as I keep repeating, that's out of our control. GMAX and the exporters will keep working until one day when they don't, and then that will be it. If it works for you now, then that's great- but we need to think about the future.

If you're a new creator reading this, as per the O.P., DO NOT FOCUS ON GMAX. It is guaranteed wasted effort in the long run.

chris

i just wish you were more up front with this stuff right from the start instead of after people have committed funds to this. Content Creation was one of the important items for me and to find out now you arnt sure which way you will go isn't good enough for me. N3V are starting to sound like a bunch of second hand car salesmen the way all this is going.

I'm sorry, but we're being 100% open and listening to our users. We're polling our content creators and also discussing this openly on the forums to ensure that we hear people's thoughts on the subject.

If you don't want us to listen to our content creators, well.. I don't really know what to say to that.

chris

I have no idea what you're talking about here?

trainzdev team has examples of this. I know i have sent example assets displaying it at least twice. this is where the normal map display will flip when it crosses a face boundary.

back to the subject at hand. I do hope that users can choose to use blender if they wish, but i also hope that 3ds does not get left at the current level and never gets ability to export to native TANE. this would certainly be the last nail for me.

trainzdev team has examples of this. I know i have sent example assets displaying it at least twice. this is where the normal map display will flip when it crosses a face boundary.

back to the subject at hand. I do hope that users can choose to use blender if they wish, but i also hope that 3ds does not get left at the current level and never gets ability to export to native TANE. this would certainly be the last nail for me.

Have to say I agree with you for ones same gose for me.

For many users, it's obvious that Trainz' big advantage over its competitor has always been the wealth of extra assets from around the world enabling them to recreate a route of their chosen area and period, even though the graphics may have been inferior.

Dropping support for MAX would inevitably diminish the flow of such assets, and thus the game's long-term appeal. N3V may now have assured sales of T:ANE thanks to Kickstarter, but what of future releases? No matter how wonderful the game may look, if users find that what they need to realise their inspiration is not available, then they're going to lose interest and vote with their feet.

If what your saying is true then models like my self will dissapare form Trainz along with the 1000s of hours worth of work all down the toilet comvroting into Trainz new era will dem imposable... :eek:

No desire to start using Blender having tried it and found it to be totally incomprehensible compared to Max, Gmax or even 3DCrafterPro which is a somewhat different approach.
The other lot as in RW use 3DsMax, 3DCrafter Pro, Blender and even unofficially Gmax, that's something for N3V consider if you want to hang on to the creators we have, including by the looks of it some of the Payware Partners.

Just to recap here the current exporters will create content suitable for TS12, it is expected that TS12 content should be displayable in T2.

T2 will probably have additional capabilities and the new XML importer will make these available. The XML importer can be fed from some of Pev's tools, Blender, Sketchup but we would prefer not to see Sketchup used for anything but the simplest models.

To create an exporter for 3DS something would have to be built for all versions that N3V wish to support. I'm confused whether or not every version of 3DS currently supports all features of TS12. I also wonder if we could build an exporter for 3DS that outputs an XML file that could be fed into the XML importer. It might be a simpler job.

I strongly suspect that a bridge program could be built from .im format to the XML importer. To avoid reverse engineering I think some safeguards could be built in. What this means is that current GMAX users will be able to continue to use GMAX although they understand that more features are available with other software. How many cases of beer would Pev require for this? This bridge would also mean that existing users of 3DS could continue to use their existing versions and exporters.

Cheerio John

I loved Lotus123, but had to get used to Excel.
I loved WordPerfect, but had to get used to Word.
I loved Lview Pro1b (15+ years old), which not works on Win8, haven't found something I like yet.
I loved Netscape, but had to get used to IExplorer.
I was certified in eMatrix software, ended up using a complete different software suite on the next assignment.

Some software stops being supported or even stops working (or your new employer simply doesn't use it). It happens. You move on to newer (or different) software.
Usually similar software has similar functionality and you "only" have to learn new short-cuts or buttons.

And for now, it isn't even clear yet some of you have to move on (yet) to newer software.

Back