Terrain texture creation

SAR704

They seem to be called ground textures in this game. But I've always used the other terminology. Are there any tutorials around which detail how to create the basic ones that don't have fancy effects/whatever? IE from TS2009 to TRS12/TANE?

I am looking to create some textures for an arid environment, and am just looking to get some basic ones in. I can't any info whatsoever in regards to the process. Info on asset creation for TRS19/other seems to be very limited.

And just to reclarify. I know it sounds bizarre. But yes, I literally want to create my own ground textures to use on my route.

Just grab some existing texture assets, ones that will allow reskinning and replace the textures , feel free to use any of mine that are build 3.5 , you will need to create normal textures, but this can be easily done in gimp for windows , chose filters > map >normalmap, in the dialogue box chose sample level 9 and scale 9 . All trainz image sizes are multiples of 256 , eg 512x 512 ,although you can make them rectangular as 1024x 512 , which I've found can give a bit more variation but then they wont usually be seamless. making them seamless is a bit of an art form , my early efforts weren't that successful but I've got better at it by a process of trial and error . You need to duplicate the layer and then match up in your graphic program untill all sides match and they look good in game. Beware that what you see in your graphics program wont necessarilly be the same in the game.

Open Content Manager, add a filter for category - Texture Environmental. Add a column for build version if you don't already have one, and sort by build version.
TS2009-TS2012 = builds 2.4 through 2.5.4

Clone an existing ground texture (from the DLS), use a build number relating to the version of Trainz you're using, I assume it's TS12, and open it for edit in content manager. There will be one image. Open that image in an image editor. Preferably GIMP or Photoshop, as you will likely need to learn how to make an image seamless (tileable), and/or bring in a pre-existing seamless image from the internet, or other source.

If the image is in .TEXTURE format, then you will need to use PEVTools Images2TGA to convert your new image. Found here > PevSoft

Try to find a fairly high resolution image, 1024x1024 or 512x512. The better the resolution the less blurry it will look at larger scaling sizes. When editing, all images need saved in power of 2 sizing, so, 64x64, 128x128, 256x256, 512x512,1024x1024 and so on. Once you've finished editing your new image, replace the image in your cloned file, rename it whatever you like, i.e desert_rose.tga, grass1.tga etc

In the new asset folder, open the config file in Notepad, change the existing texture name to your new one, and change the username as well, give it a fitting name with maybe a two or three letter initial, i.e SAR-Desert Rose 1. This will make it easy to find when you're in Surveyor.

Change the author name to yours, then save/close

Commit the new texture by right clicking it in Content Manager, choose submit edits. go into surveyor, place your new texture, see how it looks, and if necessary open it in Content Manager and edit the image in your image editor, changing color range, brightness/contrast or whatever the image needs.

There are tuts for using GIMP and photoshop all over the internet. You'll need to learn how to use layers, make tileable images, change brightness, contrast, edit color saturation, and possibly adjusting color balance, vibrancy and other edits. Take your time :)

Have fun

Last edited:
Clone an existing ground texture (from the DLS), use a build number relating to the version of Trainz you're using, I assume it's TS12, and open it for edit in content manager. There will be one image. Open that image in an image editor. Preferably GIMP or Photoshop, as you will likely need to learn how to make an image seamless (tileable), and/or bring in a pre-existing seamless image from the internet, or other source.

Been a few months. But had a look at this summary nonetheless. How does clone the texture? I downloaded one from the DLS, and can't even find it anywhere on the OS. Obviously no zip file, due to being downloaded directly. What do I do here please?

You don`t find it "on the OS"; you locate the asset it Content Manager, right-click on it, and select the Edit option hat mentions viewing it in Explorer. This will check it out for editing and open a Windows Explorer window on the newly-created editing directory (folder). You will find the files you need to edit there. Don`t forget to check the item back in when you are done. Since you will be changing the identity of the item, you will need to use a special procedure that involves importing the edit folder from disk, then "reverting" the original asset. If you need additional help on how to do that, just ask; someone (else) will gladly explain those details better.

@SAR704 -

These screenshots should clarify. I'm using one of @dangavel's TS12 Environmental textures an an example.

1st: You open Content Manager from the Trainz Launcher. Clik the "Manage Content" button.

You will want to add the extra info tabs by right-cliking in horizontal bar at the far right add all the column headers except for Modification Date. It's not really all that useful for most CM users

You can clik-grab the column headers and drag them left-right

My tab order, left to right > Name, Type, Status, Build Version, Asset ID, Author Username, Upload Date, Filesize and Installation Date.

image.png

Highlight a texture with a 3.7 build number, then clik the content menu at the top of the CM window and choose Clone, or type Ctrl-D

image.png

In the new pop-up window, highlight the cloned asset, right clik and choose "Open in Explorer"

image.png

This is what you'll see in any given 3.5-3.7 asset version folder, choose Large or Extra Large Icons so you can clearly see the image files.

image.png

The highlighted textures are what you will be editing.

If you want to use a normal map, like in the pic above, to provide a slight (very slight) 3-D effect to the texture, then you will need to learn how to generate one in GIMP, Photoshop, ShaderMap 4 or an online resource. Of the paid apps, @ShaderMap4 is the cheapest @19 USD for a student license and 29 USD for a Personal.

Rico

Last edited:
Back