UP Challenger project

I just checked in on Trainz Italia but I have only seen the two old UP challenger packs I haven't seen any new ones

When Whitepass said they released 11 challengers, he might have been talking about the original ones, he just didn't know when they were released.

Last edited:
They were never changed to match the 3900s and 4000s, yet they certainly had the space for them and the UP considered them highly successful. The flat Nebraska routes they ran on near the end of their lives required less use of sand than those running over the mountainous plains in the west. However, had the Union Pacific kept its steam power longer it is probable the earlier CSAs could have gained larger domes much like the rebuilds done to their older Mikados and Pacifics.

Does anyone know of a realistic CSA Challenger engine spec?
Honestly I would just use the Big Boy Enginespec. Its hard to create an enginespec.

You could experiment with any of these

<kuid:69593:100860> UP3900 Challenger E-spec TB3.3 <by Pendolino on TrainzItalia>
<kuid2:243294:51055:3> Challenger e-spec T:ANE <by Bill69 on DLS>

<kuid:123250:100488> SteamSoundz: C&O H8 Enginespec
<kuid2:96914:51160:3> C&O H8 Enginespec
<kuid2:69871:2132:1> US Big Steam enginespec
<kuid2:123250:100280:1> USRA 2-8-8-2 Mallet enginespec (e-spec)
<kuid:96914:51474> usrahmalletteng
<kuid2:243294:1317:2> USRA 2-8-8-2 e-spec TS12
<kuid:439337:101519> USRA 2-8-8-2 e-spec

<kuid2:523:51469:7> Big Boy Enginespec
<kuid:67873:1053> Big Boy TSC engine C

I use Pendolino's for my TrainzItalia Challengers (naturally) and Bill69's for my ANL and PaulzTrainz Challengers

Last edited:
You could experiment with any of these

<kuid2:123250:100280:1> USRA 2-8-8-2 Mallet enginespec (e-spec)
<kuid:96914:51474> usrahmalletteng
<kuid2:243294:1317:2> USRA 2-8-8-2 e-spec TS12
<kuid:439337:101519> USRA 2-8-8-2 e-spec
~Remainder Deleted~
Don't the mallet enginespecs reduce top speed?(after all, mallets are slow)

Don't the mallet enginespecs reduce top speed?(after all, mallets are slow)

Yes the mallet e-spec will probably reduce the top speed in DC only.

I have a challenger e-spec on the DLS <KUID2:243294:51055:3> it is very realistic but I can't remember what I set the top speed at.

It is listed as a TS12 e-spec but works well in T;ANE too.

If you want it changed I can change it for you, just drop me a PM.

Cheers,
Bill69

I have two announcements to make:
1. The challenger is progressing smoothly, and should be finished by the end of the year.
2. I have also started a new project, the NYC H10b.

If I may although yes there are plenty of the challenger and bigboy locomotives out there, they really are just to old and are in need of a massive update and well face lift, although the currently released models are not something that you can just smirk at. In terms of Anls locomotive though they were beautifully made, I myself have tried contacting Anl and made 2 threads now in regards to his models and to no avail. So any who is going to try I support and back 100%, further more this is really what the Trainz community is about anyway. With that being said best of luck to you dundun92 look forward to seeing what you can do.

If I may although yes there are plenty of the challenger and bigboy locomotives out there, they really are just to old and are in need of a massive update and well face lift, although the currently released models are not something that you can just smirk at. In terms of Anls locomotive though they were beautifully made, I myself have tried contacting Anl and made 2 threads now in regards to his models and to no avail. So any who is going to try I support and back 100%, further more this is really what the Trainz community is about anyway. With that being said best of luck to you dundun92 look forward to seeing what you can do.

Maybe Anl has left Trainz?

Just like TheCowboy?

No, I don't think ANL has left Trainz altogether, I personally think that he visits the forums at infrequent intervals, but chooses not to say/share anything for reasons we may never know. My reasons for saying this is due to looking at his profile. (As of Today) it states that his most recent activity on the forums was Oct. 27, 2016

Perhaps it is because people are constantly asking for his content, every week, so he is not giving it out, therefore you can expect his to be payware, because of everyone continually gimmie piging him

Last edited:
Perhaps it is because people are constantly asking for his content, every week, so he is not giving it out, therefore you can expect his to be payware, because of everyone continually gimmie piging him

Or maybe he doesn't feel like creating anymore due to people handing out reskinned versions of his stuff in a youtube video...... its hilarious because the name of the person who is handing it out is right there.

It is amazing how some people in this community love to bite the hand that feeds.

Last edited:
Yes the mallet e-spec will probably reduce the top speed in DC only.

I have a challenger e-spec on the DLS <KUID2:243294:51055:3> it is very realistic but I can't remember what I set the top speed at.

It is listed as a TS12 e-spec but works well in T;ANE too.

If you want it changed I can change it for you, just drop me a PM.

Cheers,
Bill69

Apparently 55mph. That is compared to 71mph using the BigBoy espec and 69mph for the TrainzItalia espec. (DCC mode)

Back