Union Pacific making plans to restore Big Boy

I didn't know there was a move afoot to evict the collection from the fair grounds. I had occasion to visit that collection last year, saw the BB and all that. It's nice, but I'm a bit spoiled from living close to both Strasburg RR in PA and the B&O Museum in Baltimore.

Too bad there isn't more room at Travel Town, but then if they loose the Big Boy maybe they *could* fit the rest of the collection in there?

WELCOME BACK - UPRR "BIG BOY"

Well, this is exciting! I would Love to see the "Big Boy" in Action - Again. I am a retired 72 yr. old, who remembers Steam very well. I have been in the UPRR Cheyene (Wy.) Shops and I have had the priviledge of watching 3985 and 8444 under way several times. The last (and only) time I saw a "Big Boy" in action was in Ogden, UT around 1960. Well, friends, UPRR is the One road who can afford to do it. Take Care, all.

I do believe Hades is experiencing a severe drop in temperature.......

lol! I've said that myself more than a few times about the chances of a big boy returning to steam. Nice one Chris!

Ka-Bump:

I never thought I'd live to see the day. All these years, all the rumors flying since as far back as I can remember, made me jaded to the idea...

http://www.uprr.com/newsinfo/releases/heritage_and_steam/2013/0723_4014.shtml

...But it's official. Union Pacific had acquired the 4014.

Great news but since 4023 was the last to get a full service, why didn't they go for that one in Omaha? Weather degradation? I read a few years ago that still consensus was that 4023 was in the best shape but maybe the So Cal. Weather was nicer to 4014?

4018 would have been another candidate because the museum lost its home in Dallas Fairpark and they'be been having all kinds of fun moving it. http://www.dallasnews.com/news/metro/20130721-big-boy-locomotives-move-to-frisco-delayed-again.ece . I have some shots of them shunting with their F7A last fall, it took me by surprise that it still ran. But once they move it I'll have a Big Boy about 5 miles away and I hope the paint it the way it should be. They painted over all the steam locos in their collection a few years back and completely disregarded the logos, wheel sizes, bore sizes etc and in some cases unit numbers. "Just paint it black and silver." splat!

4023 is in somewhat mediocre shape, due to being left outside and at the mercy of weather that dumps huge rainstorms. Also, It's sitting on a pedestal, far from any rail tracks.

4018 is in very, very poor shape, due to the boiler jacket being left on, trapping moisture against the boiler, causing rusting and moss growth! Also, they cut the piston rod!

4014 is in very good shape still, because it has received almost constant maintenance. It could steam right now, but the boiler needs a rebuild because it's not code anymore.

Last edited:
well mechanically 4023 may be better to what I've read but I guess UPRR did their homework but I would think that either way a new boiler would have to be done for 4014. 4023 was just recently moved there, it could be moved back but even hauling 4014 over the Cajon Pass will be a sight and I hope the bearings hold up. Omaha is closer to Cheyenne too with a lot less mountains in between. My thoughts around 4018 was A) it was considered by some producers a few years ago for a movie, there was a lot of press locally on it and the museum was willing at the time. http://www.trainweb.org/jlsrr/bigboy/4018/bigboy%204018.htm B) The museum has had some financial problems and that coupled with the City of Dallas effectively shoving them out of Fair Park would have meant that the museum probably would have let it go for a trade for something else. They have a nice collection but it's outdoors. and it was overcrowded considering the space they had. Their new location in Frisco TX will be larger, so hopefully the display will survive in better shape.

Isn't 4005 still in the Forney museum indoors though maybe that will be better eventually? Ahh well, I'll wait for my lottery winnings to get 4018 and I won't have to haul it across the country, less than 5 or 6 miles but the toll road charges will be murder. Or since I've heard that 3985 is going to not be run after 2016, then maybe that would be a great second edition for the garage!

4023-and-3985.jpg

Now, back on topic. UP already can boast about running the largest operating steam locomotive in the world, but if they can restore 4014, then they can truly say they have the largest steam loco in the world operating. I have a few non-railroad friends who would even be impressed with that. It's nothing but good PR for them (and a several million dollar restoration, but they can afford it).

Well I'd also consider operating and maintenance for a showpiece would be staggering. Steve Lee was on one of the Pentrex Videos saying that 3985 consumed about 60 gallons/mile of #5 fuel oil. I doubt 4014 would do any better.

I can see it all now too, the tree-huggers will be out in force complaining about air pollution, could we throw a few of those in the firebox? Figuratively speaking of course.

I was just reading Trains website..They are preparing to give #4014 a rool test will give the Steam Crew from Chyenne to evaluate..To get it ready go home(Chyenne)

The latest news..#4014 has been moved..It has been 52 years in the same spot..But the first move was for only 150 feet..It now sets on what they call panel track..I understand that allows them to be able too inspect underneath..

Back