Union Pacific making plans to restore Big Boy

Green River & Cheyenne Wyoming were the locations of the turntables big enough to handle the 4000 class. I'm sure Laramie also had one big enough. If they can locate a wye wherever they run the 4014(there has to be a good few of those around the country), then that solves some of the problem.

The turntable at Cheyenne is still there; at Laramie the whole engine service area has been razed, but there is a wye leading to a few industrial spurs just on the west side of the town.

The big thing I read between the line is that Union Pacific is willing to let a third party foot the bill for the restoration. If that is the case then I can see it getting done.
Union Pacific does not want to spend millions of its own money. But it will gladly spend someone else's money. (That would go for us all)

Trust me if I had that kind of money I would get one running again.
Kenny

What do you expect from the UP. They're just a bunch of greedy scumbags and pigs. I don't know how anybody can deal with that railroad, considering how hard it is do conduct any sort of business with them and they're difficult to deal with. But I guess that's how they're still around. I just hope to God none of my money will be taken out as taxes to fund this project.

DON'T START KRIS NO ONE SHARES YOUR CHILDISH OPINION OF THE UP BECAUSE THEY "STOLE" SP FROM YOU BECAUSE OF HORRIBLE SP MANAGING AND UP WEALTH

PS - When do you get deployed?

DON'T START KRIS NO ONE SHARES YOUR CHILDISH OPINION OF THE UP BECAUSE THEY "STOLE" SP FROM YOU BECAUSE OF HORRIBLE SP MANAGING AND UP WEALTH

PS - When do you get deployed?

SP has nothing to do with this. I'm just telling the truth. Plus the only way I get deployed is if we go to war with North Korea or Syria. The other way is if I find a unit that's deploying and I decide to attach to that unit. Those are the only two ways.

Darn

Your beloved SP is the reason you hate UP so much. Would you like me to find some (locked) threads of yours that support this or would you prefer to pretend you're not biased against the UP because SP ran themselves into the ground, and luckily they were swallowed by UP

Now, if you don't like UP, get the hell out of this thread and stop acting like a toddler

Last edited:
What do you expect from the UP. They're just a bunch of greedy scumbags and pigs. I don't know how anybody can deal with that railroad, considering how hard it is do conduct any sort of business with them and they're difficult to deal with. But I guess that's how they're still around. I just hope to God none of my money will be taken out as taxes to fund this project.

lol.

10 chars

Darn

Your beloved SP is the reason you hate UP so much. Would you like me to find some (locked) threads of yours that support this or would you prefer to pretend you're not biased against the UP because SP ran themselves into the ground, and luckily they were swallowed by UP

Now, if you don't like UP, get the hell out of this thread and stop acting like a toddler

I honestly could care less to be honest. And Jamie, you are a toddler.

Believe it or not, I'd actually love to see a running steam locomotive. The only steamers I've seen or the rotting ATSF 2-8-4, 2-10-4 on the Sacramento Southern line, the ones at the CSRM and SP 0-6-0 no. 1258 across from Martinez Amtrak. Never have I been on a real steam engine. I however, don't agree with having the museum pay for something they won't even get to keep. It's just not righ or fair. And I'm sure you wouldn't be so welcoming either Jamie.

Cool the temper here, guys otherwise I'll have to lock this thread.

Thank you and regards
John Citron

You clearly have not read anything about the budget for their Heritage program alone (Their passenger cars, steam locomotives, historic diesels, rotary plow...and so on)

Besides, aren't you like 15 or something? You know little about railroads, I know the business somewhat....you meet lots of people (including Ed Dickens himself) while working in the tourist railroading industry.

Not a railroad war! U.P. Sounds funny when you say it. it sounds like You Pee. Iguess it's the Union vs. Rebels again!

Royal Gorge War....all I gotta say!

Last edited:
Gentlemen, does anyone mind if we get back to discussing railroading?

Now, does anyone know if there's been any recent developments about the project? I know the 4014 hasn't moved yet, otherwise we would've heard about it.

I recall seeing something on another forum of mine that UP either has the rights or is close to getting the rights to restore and run the loco, but they're still stuck at the part where the fairgrounds wants to kick the guys who own 4014 and the rest of those engines out on their arse, and the departure of 4014 from display would give the parks board once heck of a Causus Belli, if you get what I mean. I'll be darned if I can't find the posting now, though....

Also why restore one when they would prob. derail it anyway. So much UP, CSX in the news lately. I know its harsh but they can take it. Hopfully it will motivate ppl.

Also why restore one when they would prob. derail it anyway. So much UP, CSX in the news lately. I know its harsh but they can take it. Hopfully it will motivate ppl.

On the contrary, and at risk of swerving too far off-topic, I think the only reason we keep hearing about derailments is that the news outlets (and I use that term loosely) are getting a little too gung-ho about jumping on the disaster bandwagon. I saw a report about a CSX train in Florida where the lead loco picked a switch and wound up on the ground. The reporter was talking about how it sat there for hours, blocking traffic, how the police had to shut down roads, doom and gloom ad nauseam. THe homeowner she interviewed was like, "No one got hurt. It could've been a lot worse than a few blocked crossings."

Another case in point: the Metro North collision from last month. The NTSB is looking at a broken joint bar as a possiblecause. And the headline? "NTSB: Track Defect Flagged Two Days Before Derailment." http://www.newstimes.com/news/article/NTSB-Track-defect-flagged-two-days-before-4579169.php Let's do a scare piece about a train wreck rather than a piece about how this mild disaster was a success in the safety of modern transportation.

Now, back on topic. UP already can boast about running the largest operating steam locomotive in the world, but if they can restore 4014, then they can truly say they have the largest steam loco in the world operating. I have a few non-railroad friends who would even be impressed with that. It's nothing but good PR for them (and a several million dollar restoration, but they can afford it).

Sawyer, I think I remember hearing something about the landowner looking for a reason to kick the museum out. I agree; losing their star attraction would certainly hurt their chances of remaining at their present location. I hope this doesn't fall through, but I'm hard-pressed to think of an even trade, unless they had another Big Boy lying around they could give them.

Back