Union Pacific making plans to restore Big Boy

To be honest, If I remember correctly that a locomotive shouldn't really put out thick black smoke. Infact, There shouldn't be any if handled correctly. Then again, any engineer loves to put on a show for railfans!
Yeah, if it is burning correctly, it should not puke black smoke everywhere. But, I've heard that sometimes when running the excursion trains they'll put old tires in the firebox to make the smoke thick and black. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Maybe, I know this is ridiculous, they could put some more modern mechanisms in control for the boiler. More efficient, less pollution, like the boilers used in modern high-rise buildings and hospitals. Of course, then you wouldn't get the delight of black smoke plume shows from the fireman. And no, I am not against the original design and I am not an environ-MENTAL-ist. Just an alternative idea.

It just so happens that that is exactly what I want to happen! But not just cab controls (which worked on the N&W M2 Automatic but was a headache), but an entire reworking of the boiler to opereate with a Gas Producing Combustio System invented by LD Porta, the genius behind the ACE 3000. To bring a 1940s loco into the 21st century would not just be a vindication of Porta's work, but would give promise to replacing diseaseals with modern steam locomotion!

FWIW, modern stationary boilers are double or triple return flues and designed for constant, non-fluctuating output, with most structural integrity being provided by the floor. All three of these points are exactly polar to the requirements of railroads.

That's true Daylightrian, they do have 5511 and 836, and there are talks about UP giving them something in return.... I've seen pictures of the 836, and most of its parts have been stripped and used on 844.

I would agree that 5511 would be the better choice as 838 is missing many major parts (like all of the driving rods and linkages off of the right side), the tender itself is missing its wheels and front truck. It makes sense that the UP would give the Southern California RLHS group a more complete engine.

However, it would be limited to 40mph on Union Pacific for some reason. That's why it's not being restored.

I would say that there are reasons behind why the 5511 would only be limited to 40. One would be that its small drivers and cylinder wouldn't allow for much speed in the first place. Another would be that it is a 2-10-2 after all, so the rigid 10 coupled wheelbase may be a bit large for some tighter curves.

LD Porta was not behind the ACE 3000. Ross Rowland, Owner of C&O 614, was the man behind it. Just wanted to clear that up.

Actually, Porta did work for American Coal Enterprises (ACE) during the 1980s and (along with other engineers) was involved in the ACE 3000 project. See: http://www.trainweb.org/tusp/ult.html

Earlier in 1980, a meeting had been called to discuss the possibility of re-introducing coal-fired locomotives to America's railways. Present at the meeting were Ross Rowland, William Withuhn, Bill Benson, and L. D. Porta among other technology experts. All agreed that the time was ripe, and plans were made to develop a prototype steam locomotive using advanced technology. Porta had already been considering the possibilityof the need for advanced coal-burning locomotives for several years, and he had a basic design concept ready at the time of this meeting. Porta believed that the development of modern steam locomotives would have to proceed on a step-by-step basis. He was basically the only man in the previous 40 years who had devised any significant improvements for steam and overseen their implementation on actual working steam locomotives, and he was the only man at this meeting with steam design experience.

Porta's initial concept for ACE was a fast-freight 2-10-0. This would be a "Second Generation Steam" (SGS) locomotive, and was not expected to seamlessly fit into existing U.S. railway operations. It was intended to (1) be designed and built within 2-1/2 years, (2) pull actual freight trains in revenue service, (3) show that "classical" steam had nowhere near reached the scientific limits of performance or efficiency, and (4) provide valuable design and operating experience for the ACE design team. This locomotive would have been only the first step in the development of the ultimate coal-burning locomotive for U.S. railroads. Unfortunately, while Porta's "vision" was agreed to, things changed over the next few weeks. Other members of the ACE team evidently thought that it was absolutely necessary to produce a 100% sellable machine, even as the first prototype. As a result, the concept for the ACE 3000 we saw in Trains took shape.

Last edited:
Look guys, how do ou even know it's official? Shouldn't we ask Union Pacific about it first?

Well, if we can trust Trains Magazine, then it has cropped up at least twice on their website; most recently just yesterday on the Member's Only portion. I'm not a subscriber, but I do have them on Facebook.

As far as I (we?) know, nothing has been cut in stone.......

.........cricket..............

Well, if we can trust Trains Magazine, then it has cropped up at least twice on their website; most recently just yesterday on the Member's Only portion. I'm not a subscriber, but I do have them on Facebook.

As far as I (we?) know, nothing has been cut in stone.......

.........cricket..............

I still don't think we should jump to conclusions before we know the truth.

No pun intended, but I'm bringing this thread back to life. Here is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50sXRl9M9AQ ,and please take all internet videos with a pinch of salt, if you don't mind.

Don't trust any of his video's. Some of his comments show his utter lack of knowledge about steam locomotives and steam railroading in General. And the Union Pacific Historical Society has no connect to the Union Pacific itself, its a Historical Society. Unless something official comes from UP, just keep hoping.

I'm saying this as someone who actually knows and has talked to Ed Dickens. And by the way....have heard nothing on the project from him, however, I have seen some interesting things on the project priority board at the UP steam shop in Cheyenne, and have noticed some strange things being worked on in Cheyenne. And that is ALL that I will say.

Several members posted on TrainOrders today about recieving an email from a "pretty well-respected person." The letter read as follows:

In addition, Trains mag. news wire made this post today, as well:

Now, I'm just as skeptical about this whole deal as the next guy, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hoping for any truth behind this.

Even though I'm British, I must say, that's great news! I mean seriously ,you could pull 10 houses on wheels with Big Boy! The Whistle, the noise and the mass number of wheels make it a tamed beast on wheels!

It would be nice to have such an engine restored. As far as I understand, the main reason that it's holding the restoring project back is the lack of large enough turntables that can accommodate the engine. UP said somewhere (can't remember where, will search for more info on this matter) that there are actually two turntables that can fit the Big Boy but they are too close to each other so the trip from one turntable to the other is too short. I hope UP will find a solution to this.

Green River & Cheyenne Wyoming were the locations of the turntables big enough to handle the 4000 class. I'm sure Laramie also had one big enough. If they can locate a wye wherever they run the 4014(there has to be a good few of those around the country), then that solves some of the problem. Last I heard the UP has been able to acquire the 4014, though they're still discussing things with the SCHRS.

It would be nice to have such an engine restored. As far as I understand, the main reason that it's holding the restoring project back is the lack of large enough turntables that can accommodate the engine. UP said somewhere (can't remember where, will search for more info on this matter) that there are actually two turntables that can fit the Big Boy but they are too close to each other so the trip from one turntable to the other is too short. I hope UP will find a solution to this.
What about a wye?

Track standards of the 21st centrury far exceed standards of the 1940's. There is basically no where that it could not run in all honesty.

I suppose if they could, they'd make a separate turntable for it, just need the room. :D

It´s only a question of time , till someone comes along and puts a working BigBoy engine back on tracks again. If it´s not in a year it´s gonna be done some time the next 10 years. That´s America: someone will put money in a dream of everybody. Even from economical side it makes sence to invest in such a project. But that only will work with a professional management and not with a historic train club. Since the myth of the BB is unique to any other machine, people from all around the world will come to see that train working. That´s the difference. That´s why it will happen.
I think that message starting this blog is a hoax, but that´s my privat opinion. It´s a good thing if this started an informal discussion about technical issues. I like it. :)

Back