UK Screenshots for Pre BR Blue. High resolution warning.

3bKQ3lD.jpg

Pontefract Baghill station from the south.

4TphvyE.jpg

The south end of the station itself.

aCV7akg.jpg

The north end of the station.

nw9jfjq.jpg

The station from the north.

It is built on a curve and partly on a gradient rising to the south, so a bit fiddly to construct.

Last edited:
wqdhm85.jpg

Another Pontefract related train with a story.
It is early 1923, and the 10.39 a.m. departure for Sheffield is in the hands of a Selby 2-4-0, a veteran former N.E.R. Tennant 1463 class.
It is bound for Sheffield Victoria and will be taken on from there by a former G.C.R. loco and will proceed via Banbury and Reading to Bournemouth.
Today's train is running with Set Nos, 396, 412 and 413.
In 1923 it could be a weekday but by 1926 the LNER Carriage Roster shows set 396 as running only on Saturdays.
Set 396 is a Bridlington to Sheffield through carriage, which ran via Market Weighton and was attached to sets 412 and 413 at Selby.
Set 412 is a Newcastle - Bournemouth 4-set with dining car and left Newcastle at 8.00 am. attached to main line set No. 6 which stopped at York, where main line set 6 was removed, and then on to Selby at 9.50 a.m.
Set 413 is also a Newcastle - Bournemouth set but in this case a 2-set.
It left Newcastle at 7.33 a.m. attached to a Kings Cross express which did not stop at York, but did stop at Selby.
Sets 412 and 413 alternated between G.C.R and L.S.W.R. carriages.
It is not clear from the 1926 carriage roster whether the combined sets were all G.C.R. one day and all L.S.W.R. the next, or mixed.
It is also not clear why the 7.33 a.m. from Newcastle did not stop at York, though passengers wishing to get to Kings Cross on it could connect at Selby by travelling with the 9.50 a.m. ex-York.

Pontefract Baghill was not a very busy station, but the arrival at 9.31 of an L.M.S.R. local passenger train from Sheffield Midland at 10.31 makes it a challenge.
The L.M.S. train will depart back to Sheffield at 11.30 a.m., probably from the up bay platform.
I can't quite get the L.M.S. loco over there from the main down platform before the arrival of the Bournemouth express.
Therefore I can either hold the L.M.S. local in the down platform until after the Bournemouth gets away or get the local off the main line by sending it to one of the down bay platforms.
There is an up L.M.S. express between York and Sheffield booked to pass through at 10.46, so there is no more time between the up expresses than there is before the Bournemouth's arrival.
Luckily, there are no down passenger trains through Baghill between the arrival of the L.M.S. local at 10.31 a.m. and 12.02 p.m.
Well, there might be such a window, but the Sheffield to York table shows an L.M.S. express arriving at York at 12.14 p.m. but with no departure time from Sheffield Midland!
It is not via Normanton since there is no 12.14 p.m. arrival at York from that line.
Time to go digging in Bradshaw's for 1922 to see what can be found.

A result - The July 1922 Bradshaw's scores....
The 12.14 p.m. Midland arrival at York is an express from Birmingham to Scarborough.
Departed New Street 9.30 a.m., stopping at Burton and Derby only prior to arrival at York for an engine change.
Away from York at 12.22 p.m. and in to Scarborough at 1.22 p.m.
The West of England to Derby table notes it as "Commencing 17th Instant", which means it was a summer train but daily, not just Saturdays.
July 17th 1922 was a Monday and despite being an express it did not justify a dining car, but the journey time end to end was only three hours fifty-two minutes.
Neither the Midland's London to the North table nor the North Eastern's York to Scarborough table notes it as only from July 17th.
The N.E.R. table shows a "train off L.N.W.R. lines" arriving Scarborough at 1.32 p.m., which makes me think that the train length (especially on Saturdays) precluded joining both foreigners in a single working out of York.
I expect that the shed foreman at York was at his wits end for ATB-fitted motive power on a summer Saturday.

Last edited:
Playing with Barney's new BR Brake Tenders: A Class 46 "Peak"" on its way to Brighton with a Concrete Train from Lewes Cement Works!

rHCxxYR.jpeg

BPVS7Gd.jpeg

ZlDUQdx.jpeg

In the opposite direction, a Class 24 and Class 25 pair are hauling an oil train through Falmer bound for Lewes for an eventual transfer to Dover Priory on the Kentish Coast! I just recently discovered that a number of 24s were part of the Diesel Compliment at Brighton!

brTGasr.jpeg

hqHIbAQ.jpeg

BhGB916.jpeg

As its name implies, Pattinson Town was a self contained area of housing with a glorious setting between the Pontop Line to Tyne Dock and Newall's Insulation factory. Here's a WD adding to the ambience on her way to Tyne Dock. Pattinson Town was demolished in the 1960s and there's now a large housing estate spreading over the site of Newall's factory and to be fair it looks much nicer.

WD at Pattinson Town 27.5.24 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

Last edited:
It is a Bank Holiday Monday in the UK but I have been working in Trainz down at Pontefract Baghill.
The NERA Express magazine from August 1962 has a useful article by E.G. Marsden OBE, who I doubt is still with us, since his recollections are of the 1920s at Pontefract.
Part of the article deals with coal.
There were two long sidings to the south of the station off the goods yard on the down side of the line.
E.G. Marsden explained what they were for, coal trains.

RDgF8lD.jpg

A Raven T2 Class 0-8-0 runs around its 500 ton load at Pontefract Baghill.
According to the article, the maximum permitted load for an 8-coupled T Class engines on Class C goods workings was 1,125 tons.
That fell to 1,000 tons for a Class B goods working and fell even more if the workings were by P2 or P3 six-coupled engines, to 925 tons and 805 tons respectively.
Unfortunately, the limit between Grimethorpe, Hickleton and South Kirkby collieries to Pontefract on the joint M.R.-N.E.R. Swinton & Knottingly line was only 715 tons behind a T Class engine on a Class C goods working and 650 tons on a Class B goods working. (555 tons and 500 tons for the P2/P3).
This meant that the Selby crew would run past with the empties on the up train and then return from the collieries tender first with part of the 1,125 tons which would run onwards from Pontefract.
They would deposit this load in the reception sidings and then head back to the collieries to collect the remaining balance.
Upon return to Pontefract with this load, the next job was to join them together and then depart for Gascoigne Wood concentration sidings.
However, some trains went on through Selby to the docks at Hull, where the coal would be shipped out.

MyvgGeR.jpg

After uncoupling the brake van, turning on the turntable in the station yard and connecting up the two trainloads, the T2 draws the fifty-nine P4 10 1/2 ton coal hoppers forwards on to the main line.
The Brake van sits on one of the two down goods yard loops and the end of the train can just about be made out in the background.

mJJ1FTT.jpg

This is what that trainload would have looked like to the intrepid aviator back in 1922.
Pontefract South Signal Box in the foreground across from the goods shed.

70wglip.jpg

After collecting the Diagram V3 six-wheel 20 ton brake van from the loop and placing it on the rear of the train, the T2 gets away past Pontefract Junction Signal Box with the 1,125 ton load.
The station at Pontefract was just about able to deal with this traffic in terms of the number and length of sidings, loops and standage.
I have had to tweak it a little to cope with Trainz and its foibles but the shape and flavour of the station are fully evident.
My work on this session will continue as it took 47 minutes to accomplish, which would have had the traffic fellows in a fury.
Luckily, there seem to be no down trains coming through but somewhere I will have to account for the morning pick-up goods out of Milford and what traffic that left at the station.

According to the RCTS, it was the opening of the collieries alongside the Joint S&K line which sparked the building of the T Class/T1 Class 0-8-0s.
Coal was king.
E.G. Marsden wrote back in 1962 that the North Eastern would send its engines to the ends of the earth to collect coal wagons.
Thanks for your article E.G. and I will raise a glass to you and your memory tonight.

Now I might have to ask Paul to supply me with a Selby-based T2......

Last edited:
Playing with Barney's new BR Brake Tenders: A Class 46 "Peak"" on its way to Brighton with a Concrete Train from Lewes Cement Works!

ZlDUQdx.jpeg

In the opposite direction, a Class 24 and Class 25 pair are hauling an oil train through Falmer bound for Lewes for an eventual transfer to Dover Priory on the Kentish Coast! I just recently discovered that a number of 24s were part of the Diesel Compliment at Brighton!

Hi. can I ask how you got the Presflos working ? I bought TC3 but when I try to download them they have faults or missing dependencies .

They're new models from dundun92; the minimum build version is 4.6 according to CM so won't work in TC3.

Cheers,

PLP
Oh so they are on the DLS ? Fabulous ! I run TS2019. I used to see them all the time as a kid when we went for a day out down the Wear Valley.

Edit* When I opened a window to download them. my game started to freeze so I clicked Save before everything ground to a halt. When I shut my PC down and restarted it I am offered Use Changes/Revert Changes. Which one will restore my route to when I clicked Save ?

Last edited:
image.png
image.png
image.png
Sorry about my images from previous posts disappearing, issue with how I was sending them here. Should be all good now, hope you enjoy the screenshots of my brake tenders and I hope everyone who’s got them are enjoying them, nice as always to see Tanker46 in the forums with some lovely posts as well as everyone else ofc!

All the best Barney.

Back