Trainz Plus Beta update - PC# 121380 & Mac# 121370

I went back to my test route and was able to create and edit paths as per usual (but it has been quite a while since I used EITs).

Before resorting to another download, I would run at least a DBR or, probably a better option, an EDBR

Last edited:
The saga continues! So I downloaded the beta plus update on to my laptop (Gaming i7 & NVidia 3070) and lo and behold, the enhanced tower properties showed up under Script Properties, thus enabling paths to be set. On my main system it remains blank. I can only presume some kind of install error. thanks for your input. Will probably redownload the programme on to my main system sometime and see how it goes.

Yorkshire

Error after upgrade.

Upon upgrading I received the following error.

================================

Trainz has encountered the following error:

230515.14:27:24.934| TADAsserCache::Open> Failed to create the database

000000014004A61D: ODDLParse::Value::~Value
0000000140E4F4E4
00000001408DBC3A
00000001405D647B
000000014055D16C
00007FF8472D26AD: BaseThreadInitThunk
00007FF84798A789A9F8: RtlUserThreadStart

Continue Force Quit Trainz Continue and Ignore Errors

Upon upgrading I received the following error.

That looks like an Assertions Error Message which is common in Trainz beta versions. The messages will be removed when the final version is released.

Their purpose is to alert the programmers about a variety of conditions including (but not exclusively) possible bugs.

If they bother you simply select the last option "Continue and Ignore Errors".

I just exported my route CDP from Trainz Plus to Trainz Plus Beta and found that a lot of assets did not show up. All the signals had gone and some of the session rules. A DBR did solve some issues but CM showed only two missing assets and all the signals and some tracks as faulty. Had to redownload them to fix the problem.

I know I have run this route on my Mac mini with most settings at ultra, however I have changed my settings to what it was on the previous build I ran and I no longer have the greyscale error. I had selected high as the performance level with each new directory. Part of the problem is the performance levels do not give Mac examples.

Window focus is also a problem. Installing Kickstarter Country, pops up a error dialog box, and makes the download window disappear. Clicking ignore errors, fails to go back to the download window. Right clicking on icon in menu bar, and selecting show all windows, fails to show all windows. Best is to click on the icon, which then brings up the download window. I can then view the error for Kickstarter Country, and hitting retry, works to download remaining parts of the package. I don’t think a novice knows to do all this, as choosing Start Trainz from the start menu, brings up an entirely new window.

[FONT=&quot]Shadow Quality: high
[FONT=&quot]Main Shadow Resolution: 2048[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Shader quality: standard[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Texture detail: normal[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Post processing: high[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Water quality: high[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Detail scenery: clutter only[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Antialiasing: 4x[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Use PhysX simulation: checked[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]process objects behind camera: unchecked[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Unless I'm not understanding, this sounds like expected behaviour if you haven't got identical local data folders for the two different builds. The route .cdp has the route, but not the dependencies. So the requirement to install the missing deps would be expected.

Unless I'm not understanding, this sounds like expected behaviour if you haven't got identical local data folders for the two different builds. The route .cdp has the route, but not the dependencies. So the requirement to install the missing deps would be expected.

In my case, the route was already in the TRS22 Beta and working but I was still working on the route in TRS22. I deleted the beta version of the route and imported the TRS22 version. Also found that digholes on tunnels are exposed.

What is this new high res terrain supposed to achieve. I converted a route from the DLS, for my own use in a routes merge.

After the process finished, the route didn't look any different.

I am not judging just asking. I am not a route builder, so not sure what i am supposed to be seeing.

Mike.

Also why are both Surveyor and Surveyor 2, not deleting "all missing assets" in this beta.

I run the process more than once until i get the assets deleted etc 0 errors 0 faults.

But when i go back into CM, all the missing assets are still listed.

Mike.

What is this new high res terrain supposed to achieve. I converted a route from the DLS, for my own use in a routes merge.

I am not judging just asking. I am not a route builder, so not sure what i am supposed to be seeing.

Mike.

Converting a route to HD is not going to make the route look any different as they cannot add detail that isn't there. Converting a route to HD, will allow route changer or builders to add in finer elevation changes, cuts and fills can hug the track closer. Streams can be placed without the artifacts of the old resolutions.

Mike.

I thought the same thing all I could see after conversion was a lot more work in areas I had already completed. As far as I'm concerned I am still sticking with Surveyor 1
If they ever get rid of the original Surveyor I think that will be the end of Trainz for me.

I thought the same thing all I could see after conversion was a lot more work in areas I had already completed. As far as I'm concerned I am still sticking with Surveyor 1

As pointed out by cpdiamont in the post above yours, converting an existing route is not going to add details that were not originally there. But it does make it possible to make significant visual improvements to structures that are close to the track, such as cuttings and embankments.

If they ever get rid of the original Surveyor I think that will be the end of Trainz for me.

Have you actually given Surveyor 2.0 a decent trial? It took me some time to make the switch over from Surveyor Classic, and there is a learning curve, but S20 is now my preferred method of working in Surveyor. I only drop back to Classic for those few functions that are not yet available in S20.

There are extensive guides to using the S20 Tools and S20 Palettes available on the Trainz Wiki.

Conversion is just the beginning of the process. Obviously the system can't add detail that isn't there to begin with.

The key is that you will no longer be limited to 5m or 10m triangles to shape the terrain, and 5m x 5m or 10m x 10m minimum texture size for painting.

Instead the smallest increment is 125cm.

There are other benefits with tessellation providing better LOD management, removal of the low LOD "satellite" texture etc.

Big_b - I'd love to know what your concerns are with S20. Is it something other than the learning curve?

As pointed out by cpdiamont in the post above yours, converting an existing route is not going to add details that were not originally there. But it does make it possible to make significant visual improvements to structures that are close to the track, such as cuttings and embankments.

Have you actually given Surveyor 2.0 a decent trial? It took me some time to make the switch over from Surveyor Classic, and there is a learning curve, but S20 is now my preferred method of working in Surveyor. I only drop back to Classic for those few functions that are not yet available in S20.

There are extensive guides to using the S20 Tools and S20 Palettes available on the Trainz Wiki.

Yer. Don't like it one little bit I enjoy route building but as I'm on the way to 70. There's no enjoyment using S2 for me trying to figure out something new. I can complete in an hour what would take me a day in S2
I'll continue in S1 if I put my Route on the DLS someone else can convert it if they want to add finer details. All I wanted was a finer brush in S1 not a whole new interface.

Don't like it one little bit I enjoy route building but as I'm on the way to 70. There's no enjoyment using S2 for me trying to figure out something new. I can complete in an hour what would take me a day in S2
I'll continue in S1 if I put my Route on the DLS someone else can convert it if they want to add finer details. All I wanted was a finer brush in S1 not a whole new interface.

And I am over 70! As I stated in my post above it did take me a while to learn the new interface (and I am still learning as "new" features seem to popup all the time!) and the learning curve can be steep at times. But now that I have made the transition I will not be going back to S10 except in those cases as previously stated.

Try it, persevere with it, take it in small steps. I found the transition not only worthwhile but it has reduced the time I spend on repetitive creation tasks.

My experiences and opinions.

Last edited:
Conversion is just the beginning of the process. Obviously the system can't add detail that isn't there to begin with.

The key is that you will no longer be limited to 5m or 10m triangles to shape the terrain, and 5m x 5m or 10m x 10m minimum texture size for painting.

Instead the smallest increment is 125cm.

There are other benefits with tessellation providing better LOD management, removal of the low LOD "satellite" texture etc.

Big_b - I'd love to know what your concerns are with S20. Is it something other than the learning curve?

No. Just the learning curve. When I'm using S1 I get lost in time sometimes I look up and it's like 2-3 in the morning. On the other hand, if I'm using S2 it's slow due to the learning curve and don't seem to get much done and loose intrest then I either turn off Trainz because it's boring me or just go back to S1 as it just comes so much easier and I'm back in my happy place.

If I were just starting out, I don't think I would have a problem using it the same as I Learn'd to use S1 but at the moment I just can't see any benefit in using it to achieve what I want. Once I get this route finished and are ready to start a new one if I ever do then I probably try starting in S2

I am over 70 and i don't like Surveyor 2 one little bit. We seem to have gone from the best and simplest route creation tools for all the train games.

Too something that is over complicated, just for the sake of it. In regards HD, thanks for the explanations. I will have to start again with my route merges.

As i am now unable to do anything with the routes in Surveyor 1. Cannot even work out how to smooth terrain under track in S2.

I realise it is a beta pware, i spotted that when i installed it. But a function that works perfectly well in TS22+ in S1, shouldn't really be broken in a beta.

Mike.

Cannot even work out how to smooth terrain under track in S2.

It is easy once you know how. Select a track segment (in fact you can select multiple track segments and even select all of them), click on the track context icon (floating above the last segment you selected) and select the option Smooth Ground Under Selected from the popup menu.

But a function that works perfectly well in TS22+ in S1, shouldn't really be broken in a beta.

Murphy's Law of programming states that if you change code in one place it will almost certainly change something somewhere else.

Back