Trainz Plus and TRS22 "SP1" Update

TRS22 plus SP1

This has occurred after install SP1
hJaJvW1

JAMd7DH
https://imgur.com/JAMd7DH

Rebooted PC and opened TRTS22 SP1.
Opened route for editing, made minor corrections and saved.
Opened Sessions, deleted previous days progress session and made minor adjustment to main session and saved.
Now running session, looks OK.
hJaJvW1

Last edited:
@steviez, I had trouble updating the normal way even though the stream version was correct, so I went this route and was able to update.

Do not "Change Targets" obviously :).

Launcher > Trainz settings > Install > Change Trainz update stream > Next > Next (sign in) > "Change stream" and select one of the other "Stream" options then back to the correct stream version again and click "ok". > Done.
The update should now happen then the DBR afterwards.

Edit. Thanks for the update. Forgot to mention too, the sound is great and especially so with headphones. When raining I could hear the drop splatters so clearly and felt the need to hunt out a raincoat. Perhaps it has always been like that but is more noticible now? Anyway it is very cool.

Last edited:
Well this isn't good. :(

Saw there was an update available for my Trainz Plus version so set it to downloading and installing overnight. When I got back onto the computer this morning, it showed as complete so I clicked OK and the window dissapeard. But I didn't think too much of it.

Just now though, I thought I'd open the game back up and see if there was anything new in the store. The Start screen opened, a progress bar opened as the game was about to begin a database repair then, after about 10 seconds, it crashes and disapears.

I've tried several times, even after restarting my computer, but it just keeps crashing.

For what it's worth, the build version shows as 119450

Update 1: Have found that, when the start window and database repair progress bar first open up, I clicked on one of the drop-down menues (developer, just randomly) and, while that drop-down menue is open, it doesn't crash and I can see from the task manager that there is a lot of activity on the drive where my Trainz data is, although there is no indication on the progress bar. But, if I move away from that drop-down menue and it closes, the game crashes instantly and the activity on the data drive stops, which means, even if I want to try that method to see if it will eventally do a database repair (which takes several hours), I can't do anything on my computer while it's happening.

I can see that there is also activity on the drive where the program is hosted, even after it has crashed, but I don't see any indication that Trainz is still active and running in the background.

I'll give it some time and see what happens.

Cheers,
Piere.

Last edited:
Installed this yesterday evening; all installed quickly and no problems when starting up.

The routes seem to load slightly quicker and performance feels much better than before so well done N3V.

Cheers,

PLP

.. thankz a lot for the update ..
everything took less than an hour, smoothy and almost automatically :
- just one "available download" (bdaneal)
- 2 content store updates to activate some "non-actives" ..
- nothing "open for editing"
- some "faulties", which disappeared after some clicktyclack ..
- checking with some jcitron-filters : "out of date" and "obsolete + not built-in" ..
- 2 restarts game ..
- "prebuild" with content manager/developer/run trainzutil command ..

.. ending with a big smile and updated motivation and renewed inspiration:
- empty "faulty" list ..
- smoother running of game
- faster loading route/session in driver or surveyor
- "quicker" building with surveyor 2.0
- sharper and brighter view (performance) !! (.. i think i'm gonna play the game on my huge tvmonitor ..)

one problem : where do i find the time to drive all those bright, huge routes and sessions .. and building my own dioramas ..
second problem : how do i get my face smoothed again with such a spastic grin ..

thankz a lot tony and every crew member ..
thankz a lot all creatorz of all those magnificent assets and techniques ..
thankz forum for being there, with all the advice and comments, the thoughts and the sharing ..
i'm happy and satisfied .. and having fun ..
grtz
daveric

Well, I let the computer do what *looked like* an extended database rebuild for about 7 hours (based on activity on the drive where I have my Trainz Data), but still no luck. The game still just shuts down about 10 seconds after I open it.

Looks like I can't play Trainz anymore. :(

Piere.

Well, I let the computer do what *looked like* an extended database rebuild for about 7 hours (based on activity on the drive where I have my Trainz Data), but still no luck. The game still just shuts down about 10 seconds after I open it.

Looks like I can't play Trainz anymore. :(

Piere.

Piere,

Open up your data folder wherever you installed it. I put mine on my E: drive under TRS22_DATA so I can find it you may have yours in the C:/Users/<your login>/AppData/N3V Games/TRS22/ in a build xxxxxx folder.

Look for the:

assets.tdx
asset-cache.tdx
asset-cache-tdx-wal

The assets.tdx file may not be there, so don't worry if it's not. The reason is it wasn't built during the rebuild process since the EDBR didn't get there yet.

Once deleted, reboot your computer and start up TRS22+ again.

The program will run a DBR automatically and everything should go fine.

Once completed, check your faulty assets and view errors and warnings. This will remove the errors. You may have to close Content Manager and reopen it a few times to refresh.

You may run into some missing dependencies. These can be downloaded from the DLS and also from the Content Store if you haven't updated yet.

I have Trainz+ 2022 installed, build 117669. I have not been using the Beta stream.

Problem: received the following error while applying SP update "Patch failed: unable to apply patches for file 'C:\Program Files\N3V Games\Trainz Plus\resources\builtin\969.tzarc'"
I tried a database repair, then re-ran the update. I get the same error.

Anyone have any suggestions to redeem this situation?

Thank you.

Better FPS!

First impressions are very good!

I have a large and very detailed model railway route that in TRS19 was getting 30fps in the most asset-packed town, in the TRS22 latest update I had 60fps! So something is better, is it the new file system or are there other relevant changes?

Testing will continue,

thanks Tony and Team!

Cheers,

Graham

Piere,

Open up your data folder wherever you installed it. I put mine on my E: drive under TRS22_DATA so I can find it you may have yours in the C:/Users/<your login>/AppData/N3V Games/TRS22/ in a build xxxxxx folder.

Look for the:

assets.tdx
asset-cache.tdx
asset-cache-tdx-wal

The assets.tdx file may not be there, so don't worry if it's not. The reason is it wasn't built during the rebuild process since the EDBR didn't get there yet.

Once deleted, reboot your computer and start up TRS22+ again.

The program will run a DBR automatically and everything should go fine.

Once completed, check your faulty assets and view errors and warnings. This will remove the errors. You may have to close Content Manager and reopen it a few times to refresh.

You may run into some missing dependencies. These can be downloaded from the DLS and also from the Content Store if you haven't updated yet.

G'day John,

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried that (although I didn't have the "asset-cache-tdx-wal" file), but it still does the same thing. Although the progress bar opens up as if to start a DBR, the whole game just shuts down / disappears after about 10 seconds, like it did before.

As before, the game will stay open if I select one of the drop-down menus and, as long as I keep that open, the activity on the drive where I have my data folder shows that it is probably doing a DBR (but the progress bar doesn't show anything). But, if I move my mouse and let that drop-down window close, the game just shuts down instantly and activity on the data drive stops too.

Given that keeping that menu open means that I can't do anything else on my computer for 7 or 8 hours while it does the EDBR, I'm not going through that again.

Edit: I've restored the original files as, after leaving it all day yesterday, it seems the DBR was successful, as it doesn't try to start one now. But again, the game still just shuts down after 10 seconds.

Cheers,
Piere.

Last edited:
G'day John,

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried that (although I didn't have the "asset-cache-tdx-wal" file), but it still does the same thing. Although the progress bar opens up as if to start a DBR, the whole game just shuts down / disappears after about 10 seconds, like it did before.

As before, the game will stay open if I select one of the drop-down menus and, as long as I keep that open, the activity on the drive where I have my data folder shows that it is probably doing a DBR (but the progress bar doesn't show anything). But, if I move my mouse and let that drop-down window close, the game just shuts down instantly and activity on the data drive stops too.

Given that keeping that menu open means that I can't do anything else on my computer for 7 or 8 hours while it does the EDBR, I'm not going through that again.

Edit: I've restored the original files as, after leaving it all day yesterday, it seems the DBR was successful, as it doesn't try to start one now. But again, the game still just shuts down after 10 seconds.

Cheers,
Piere.

The only thing I can think of is there's something corrupted. You can try reinstalling the program from My Trainz and update with a new patch. Let the program build its own fresh database and test. If everything works, then connect to your own data. The program will then run a DBR and update everything and hopefully everything works.

If this doesn't work, put in a query to the helpdesk.

The only thing I can think of is there's something corrupted. You can try reinstalling the program from My Trainz and update with a new patch. Let the program build its own fresh database and test. If everything works, then connect to your own data. The program will then run a DBR and update everything and hopefully everything works.

If this doesn't work, put in a query to the helpdesk.

Thanks again for your perserverance and suggestions John.

So, after a new install (I didn't have a "plus" installation for some reason, just a "platinum" one), the fresh game starts up fine, I opened the kickstarter route and all seems ok. As soon as I point it to my data folder (which requires a re-start), it starts crashing again.

If I get in quickly enough to set the data folder back to the original one, after restarting again, it works ok again.

It really doesn't like something about my data folder (which hasn't changed since before the update the other day).

Edit: I have submitted a ticket to the help desk.

Cheers,
Piere.

Last edited:
My Portals have ceased to function after install of SP1, now on build 119451.
I am just running my session once again from early time and checking functionality.

Well my experience today has convinced me that there is no consistency with this program, this time, without carrying out any changes, has performed successfully.
It has been running from 6.00 am and it is now 11.20pm without incident.

Also noticed this morning the reappearance of a "Quick Drive" session.

Last edited:
Updated to latest Plus version. Download, update and database were all quick. No texture or sound problems I found. Considering I'm running the latest RC version of Ventura, I find this good.

An update should be a positive event. Given the extensive ability of the customer to make changes a program, a CHECK all critical elements should be run PRIOR to trying an update. Many people were already in trouble before the update but just had not come upon the broken date/code. It was setting there to cause hours of wasted Customer Time fiddling with corrective measures from other customers.

Dick

Given the extensive ability of the customer to make changes a program

And herein lies the problem. We can only test things so much. We have several hundred beta testers testing for months. And yet some people still end up with problems. As to why, that's the mystery.

What we do know is that a fresh install with a fresh local data folder works. So anyone having an issue can always start there and try to recover their previous content by following the various links provided in game or on the wiki to assist in moving content.

I have a large trs22 setup and will have benefit fron the new tzarc format.
Do we have a trainzutil command that can reload the archives?
When i do this by hand it ist realy hard.

An update should be a positive event. Given the extensive ability of the customer to make changes a program, a CHECK all critical elements should be run PRIOR to trying an update. Many people were already in trouble before the update but just had not come upon the broken date/code. It was setting there to cause hours of wasted Customer Time fiddling with corrective measures from other customers.

Dick

Problem is there is an extremely large number of assets on the DLS, It's impossible for testers to test every single item in every single usage of it.

As I think I've said before, before updating to a new version, I always check for out of date assets and update them, remove the DLS installed Obsoleted assets, run a full Database repair and remove anything that is faulty and not a quick fix, backup my install and userdata, then run the patcher.
After patching and after the automatic DBR I run one manually, then run the Trainzutil prebuild command, all before doing anything like looking at Manage Content or trying to use Surveyor or running a route. Result is I have very few problems. May seem like overkill but the day I don't do this or backup properly will probably be the day it all goes wrong!

Back