Time To Speak Out Objectively About Trainz Quality and Other

mcguirel

Yagottaseediss!!!!!!!!!!!
My first issue with Trainz is the quality of the graphics.
Due to a need for a fresh reinstall guess what out of the box:
  1. Horizontal Graphic Texture Shearing/Tearing
  2. Absurd SpeedTree Graphic/Tearing
  3. Compared to new games being released, the graphics look ancient.
  4. The game system check refuses to acknowledge the Nvidia Driver which I feel shortens the draw distance even more.
  5. This intelligent draw distance is crap, absolutely crap. Allow each individual to determine their own settings for best performance.
  6. Your game engine is ancient, and totally needs rebuilt from the ground floor up.
Installing the Service Packs is Issue Two.
  • If N3V is done creating service packs for TS2010, then combine them into one service pack. It takes hours to install them.
  • The service pack installer is absolutely slow and should be able to rewrite the necessary files much much much faster.
Issue Three is Asset Version Availability/Feature Availability.
  1. It is time for N3V to rethink this and find a means for any asset to be used in any version, forward or backwards. They claim there are reasons for this to be such, but reality is that this is purposely done.
  2. There are to many versions of this game platform. TS12 is by far the worst marketing scheme to date. Truthfully, it was a Route Pack with some minor game engine improvements. These game engine improvements should of been part of TS2010, plain and simple. The routes should of been made available as an Add-On Pack to TS2010.
  3. Absolutely clueless why the Multiplayer Patches provide a "Download All Feature", but “Heaven to Betsy” you can not put that into the non-multiplayer version. The Multiplayer "Download All" Feature is the most effective and efficient manner to download updates as it overcomes CMP Asset Version issues whereas you must do each manually in CMP Single Player if you are at Asset Version KUID2:**:**:2 and require Asset Version KUID2:**:**:4.
Issue Four: Those who were very active in the Multiplayer Testing got ultimately screwed.
  • N3V claims they gave it to TS2010 people for free, but the reality is that TS2010 Multiplayer is extremely inactive. TS12 Multiplayer seems to be the platform version of choice. TS2010 Multiplayer People are left out in the cold as a result. This is in conjunction with Issue 3, Subsection #2.
  • I could go on about Multiplayer Subjects, but the horse has been beat dead and the bones have been pulverized already
Issue Five: Importing/Exporting Backups
  1. Even though I copied over the folders onto a backup drive after countless days of missing asset resolution and other things prior to the new install, all I can say is "Welcome Back". Broken Assets and missing assets galore when resolved prior to the back-up transfer.
  2. I just absolutely love CMP Import process times and among that the cpu resources it hogs. Recode CMP to allow a manual transfer of back-up folders to the new install folder directories with the ability to generate a new Database Repair. How simple is that? The installed assets do not require registry values so why can't you do this.
  3. Stop the Database Error Checking and this functionality should of been implemented in TS2010 SP4. Just love to play a game I then find I have no time to do so because of the nature of the game coding.
I could go on and on about this, but lets face it N3V is doing this for revenue streams. A few features require you to Buy. Well, I am afraid I am done with the buying as they refuse to allow everyone who supported them to be on the same page unless YOU BUY technically the same software again and again.. Time for them to say if you have TS2010, we are going to put everyone on the same page with Game Engine Functionality, but this is a pipe dream it seems.

Also, I am going to voice something finally. Do not trust anyone regarding compensation for new content creation for new versions. Believe Me, you will find that even with signature contracts they will not uphold them. N3V also felt it was not in their ability or need to get involved yet N3V is distributing the unpaid per agreed contract assets. That my friends was ABSOLUTELY WRONG. I was in contact with even the CEO of N3V many times concerning this, with total disregard. This is the reason why I no longer provide content to the community, and I provided also a very fairly priced Payware SpeedTree Collection as well as Freeware SpeedTrees which was disrespected by many. I also find my assets to be rarely used, thus why put the time into the creation. I also find many people here are "Gimmie, Gimmie, Gimmie's" expecting top notch quality fr free. Well, just maybe I feel that the Quality Payware Engines need to be reduced in price significantly and these creators need not to just provide them as Payware or retired old freeware. The rumours that were discriminatory actions of RRMods are also infact true. I do not care if you agree, disagree, or want to voice your unwarranted and discriminatory voice in a forum where you have little respect for others. It is very easy to talk smack oon internet forums, and believe me the Karma will come back to you. RRMODS removed me from their team for many reasons, but this was the primary reason thus why I find little use for them these days or their content which is subpar. Only Joe has professionalism within the organization in my honest objective opinion.

By the way, the reason that I am the only one allowed to put SpeedTree Assets on the DLS is that I have possession of their license. I was warned not to ever state this by a fellow dishonest member, but I believe now the TRUTH SHOULD BE TOLD. No other SpeedTree Creator is allowed to do this as it violates N3V's License with IDV. These other providers are utilizing the EA Unreal SpeedTree SDK to the best of my knowledge, thus violating IDV and also selling in violation of IDV without the over $10,000 dollar license. I refuse to release my access to their license until I am fully paid per the contract as it was stated and agreed upon.

Payware is becoming absolutely absurd in pricing as well. I also find my assets to be rarely used, thus why put the time into the creation. I also find many people here are "Gimmie, Gimmie, Gimmie's" expecting top notch quality for free. Well, just maybe I feel that the Quality Payware Engines need to be reduced in price significantly and these creators need not to just provide them as Payware or retired old freeware. If these creators offerred quality new engines for free and their prices were well reasonable, I'd find the need to support them much more than I do now.

Last edited:
I don't often get upset or respone to posts in this forum but I HATE misleading posts.

There is no way your post is objective.

Why not call it what it is: My personal opinion of why I don't like trainz"

And then I wouldn't have to waste my time reading your trashing of trainz.

And it certainly is not objective as I didn't read anything good about trainz.

From someone who has enjoyed Trainz since 2001

Dave

IamKJVonly2, my title did not in any manner state the direction of my post therefore your comment regarding "Objective Positive Views" is not a valid subject matter. I did throw in a few "Subjective" statements as well, and I do not deny that, but for the most part these are Objective Issues.

I am not going to sit here and write what I find are good points with my original post as the post would be to cumbersome to even want to read.
There are great points to this game and also regarding content.
However, I did not voice these instead they are among the forum whenever I visit the forum within the appropriate subject matter I deem I want to comment on.

Last edited:
Well, weekend food for thought....

...a pretty large meal; that's going to take some digesting.

I love these threads that are posted late Friday or early Saturday !

mcguirel knows the system well , please pass the popcorn !

--- ,DLR

<big snip>

If these creators offerred quality new engines for free and their prices were well reasonable, I'd find the need to support them much more than I do now.

I have a problem understanding the above comment.

Regards,

~snip~ please pass the popcorn !
--- ,DLR

... and the Gaviscon please!

• . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
. . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
. . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--

Payware is becoming absolutely absurd in pricing as well. I also find my assets to be rarely used, thus why put the time into the creation. I also find many people here are "Gimmie, Gimmie, Gimmie's" expecting top notch quality for free. Well, just maybe I feel that the Quality Payware Engines need to be reduced in price significantly and these creators need not to just provide them as Payware or retired old freeware. If these creators offerred quality new engines for free and their prices were well reasonable, I'd find the need to support them much more than I do now.
The reason why nobody will touch your content with a barge pole is your attitude (IMHO). Why should I buy anything from you and use it in a route when I know your next dummy spit is just around the corner and it will be withdrawn again?

Paul

Last edited:
FWIW, I have found Trainz to be an engrossing and rewarding hobby, and a perfect solution for someone who does not have acres of space for an HO layout, or thousands of dollars to build it. I have grown to love Trainz, warts and all.

Bernie

Installing the Service Packs is Issue Two.
  • The service pack installer is absolutely slow and should be able to rewrite the necessary files much much much faster.

and if people didn't download tons of assets, it would probably go much faster too. Getting a faster computer would also speed things up.

Issue Three is Asset Version Availability/Feature Availability.
  1. It is time for N3V to rethink this and find a means for any asset to be used in any version, forward or backwards.
Really, what a concept. Not only must all the code for past assets be maintained but they have to predict what code will be used years from now so that 20xx assets will work in Trainz today.
  1. They claim there are reasons for this to be such, but reality is that this is purposely done.

If is was purposely done, than there were reasons.duh or are you implying some nefarious plot?

There are to many versions of this game platform. TS12 is by far the worst marketing scheme to date. Truthfully, it was a Route Pack with some minor game engine improvements. These game engine improvements should of been part of TS2010, plain and simple. The routes should of been made available as an Add-On Pack to TS2010.
your opinion, not a fact
  1. Absolutely clueless ...
This just about sums it up
.....I also find my assets to be rarely used, thus why put the time into the creation.
Is this and the following the reason for the original post?
By the way, the reason that I am the only one allowed to put SpeedTree Assets on the DLS is that I have possession of their license.... without the over $10,000 dollar license....
might deep pockets for a hobby... . If you have a contractual issue with N3V, talk to them. Nothing we can do here.

whew, now to get me some Tumz

To All of you, ABSOLUTELY GET OFF MY BACK and being an target.

Everytime I make a post, you all feel it necessary to tear it to pieces without disregard to my Objective Views that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Neither the vendor, or their many product versions, are sacred cows exempt from critical comment. There are some who have a visceral reaction to strong critical commentary. Why they constantly complain about negative messages is beyond me - this is the Internet.

If customers did not complain the vendor would merrily make bank deposits believing they had finally created the perfect product. I saw no foul language or nasty names in the message. It seems like there is a contract dispute at the heart of it and that raises the ire of the poster to also add in other perceived issues.

Agree or disagree with those issues but try to avoid deriding the poster. That type of childish retort only brings out like minded people who would not say much until a mob, or herd, begins to form and they can feel socially comfortable to toss in their comments.

I have both payware and free Ultra stuff. It is not perfect nor are the Pofig assets I also have. The speed trees are a plague on the product and were not needed. A better "regular" tree would have been sufficient. Trundra trees adapted to alpha beta, or whatever the graphic stuff is, could have been excellent.

I have no problem with payware except that from it I expect higher standards or performance. However, I do follow the gimmee gimmee principal and will grab good freeware any time I can get it.

To All of you, ABSOLUTELY GET OFF MY BACK.

Everytime I make a post, you all feel it necessary to tear it to pieces without disregard to my Objective Views that.

C'mon, calm down please. There are several posters on this thread that have not gotten on your back nor torn the posts to pieces. This isn't the way for you to go out, please attempt to retain your dignity. This is becoming sad.

Trainz has been the same way for years, with a few improvements and new features here and there. I don't see a need to complain with 95% of the community using what they have and making the best out of what they've been given.

Steve

I disagree with the post that is Trainz is a terrible railway sim. Yes i have played all kinds of train sims, MSTS, EA's Railsimulator. The bad thing about those sims is they are too complicated. Yes while complication is good, We do want to have some fun with it too. We want to be able to make our own routes and drive the trains on them. MSTS and Railsimulator were wayyy tooo hard to make a route on. They were both very hard to do a simple switch job! But trainz is diffrent, it gives us realism yet being easy enough we can play the game, build routes and run trains on it! As for payware, If the model is good enough, I want it even if it is payware. I love JR payware stuff. I will not get payware regardless of how great the model is if it is unresonably priced! it is ridiculous the Cloakedghost sells his stuff for $35. For that price i can get another copy of TRS 2010

To All of you, ABSOLUTELY GET OFF MY BACK and being an target.

Eh if you do not like trainz, there is lots of sims out there for simulating rails.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back