taking the plunge

bulpup

Well, despite the massive amounts of negative comments about the new version of Trainz in this forum, I believe this is the Traim sim for me.

I have been eyeballing the Murchesn route and wondering what it would be like but it seems to be the best thing since sliced bread for Trainz, according to this group.

After recently dusting off MSTS and giving it a try I remembered why I stopped using it. Now it seems Trainz is trying to keep a good thing going.

So, the question for this group is as follws, Since I will be getting the WBE and most likely Murchesen 2, are their any other "must have" (as in 'so good it doesn't matter what type you are into, this one will make your jaw drop')routes for TS09?

I am also very interested in driving Massive steam locos for passenger routes and the opposite (Moguls on pax routes). Any well regarded routes for those?

I would suggest purchasing a First Class Tickey (FCT) for the Download Station (DLS) to get decent download speeds and limits, well worth the money. Lots of extra routes, locos, stock and scenery items on the DLS.

If you are interested in UK routes then the 2009 Settle and Carlise add on will be worth getting.

It's also worth having a go at building your own route(s), it's pretty easy (at least to do the basics) in Trainz.

Enjoy!

Chris

I too was put off with all the negative comments. I bought it anywayz. Trainz 2009 runs just fine for me. I had a bit of difficulty with the DLS until I purchased the FCT and now everything downloads just fine.

I enjoy making layouts more than driving trains around. It's loads of fun to develop towns and connecting railroads.

Randy

I think the problem is differing hardware. For me, and lots of others TS2009 runs much smoother than any previous version. For others, though, things are not so good.

Things to bear in mind though, a lot of previous niggles have been put right in the Service packs, and Content Manager is a completely different, well behaved animal compared with that of TRS2006 and TC.
Geoff

Okay, I just did a check on required hardware and I am afraid my Core2 Duo at 1.9 Ghz, 2 Gb of Ram and 256Mb graphics cards might not be enough?

Should I go up to a 3 Ghz Core2? That might not be in the cards financialy.

Anyone think I will be okay with the current setup?

Settle Carlisle was a favorite in MSTS so that sounds great. As much as I like to think that I dont care to create railroads, I am sure I will catch that fever early on.

Last edited:
Okay, I just did a check on required hardware and I am afraid my Core2 Duo at 1.9 Ghz, 2 Gb of Ram and 256Mb graphics cards might not be enough?

Should I go up to a 3 Ghz Core2? That might not be in the cards financialy.

Anyone think I will be okay with the current setup?

Settle Carlisle was a favorite in MSTS so that sounds great. As much as I like to think that I dont care to create railroads, I am sure I will catch that fever early on.

It should work fine. See if you can up the memory to 3 gigs, check your motherboard at crucial.com TS2009 uses DXT compression so your 256 mb graphics card will behave as if it has 1 gig of memory running TRS2006.

These days a new graphics card can do wonders on an existing machine, TS2009 works the GPU a bit more and the cpu a bit less.

Cheerio John

If you are running Windows Vista I think you will struggle with 2GB RAM. I have a similar spec laptop (only 128GB video card though) and it struggles on that. On the same machine it runs better in Linux but that's another story, and a lot of chew unless you know what you are doing.
Geoff

What's the video board model number? For 3D programs such as Trainz the power of the video board's graphics processor unit is at least as important as how much memory it has, probably more so.

John

hmm. Well i am running XP in 32 bit mode. I dont want to go to Vista, for reasons that should be well known to everyone, just for the 64 bit.

I guess it seems it should give me a little something to work with for now. As long as I am not dead in the water with the system I guess I'll just get it and see if I need upgrading.

What's the video board model number? For 3D programs such as Trainz the power of the video board's graphics processor unit is at least as important as how much memory it has, probably more so.

John

I dont have it on front of me but it is Nvidia. I'll be able to check later tonight when I get home.

Good to see new converts! I started with MTS then discovered Trainz a few years back by accident and have never looked back!

Just be sure to check your build number when you start up--if it's not 40040 then download Service Pack 2 as it fixed a number of issues with the first release.

--Lamont

Avoid any ATI graphics card I have a 1900gt and it sucks always locks up have to have a big loud box fan (the window kind)against it cause 4 built in fans are not enough to keep it cool and just about every game fourm their is problems with ATI in one area or another..

Avoid any ATI graphics card I have a 1900gt and it sucks always locks up have to have a big loud box fan (the window kind)against it cause 4 built in fans are not enough to keep it cool and just about every game fourm their is problems with ATI in one area or another..

On the other hand my 3850 runs very nicely. Must have the sort of motherboard and power supply that it likes.

Cheerio John

I have one too, will avoid them like the plague in the future.
Geoff

I have one too, will avoid them like the plague in the future.
Geoff

Me too. I've always had issues with ATI video cards. For some reason they've always had poor support for Open/GL drivers. My venerable 8800GTs handles Trainz very nicely even if it's an older card now.

John

Well, it might be a mute point since I went ahead and ordered the disk anyway, but my graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT.

I have to say, I feel much better poking about the TS2009 youtube videos vs. reading the issues here. I love a good steam engine represention and it seems it comes with a few good ones right out of the box.

However, while looking around at the DLS, it seems most ofthe good stuf is asking for a TS2006 S/n. Will I fnd most of these creations compatible?

I am particularly interested (at this moment :hehe: ) with the versions of the V&T 4-4-0 on the DLS. Its one of those locos I imprinted on as a kid. Should I expect a problem?

Well, it might be a mute point since I went ahead and ordered the disk anyway, but my graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT.

I have to say, I feel much better poking about the TS2009 youtube videos vs. reading the issues here. I love a good steam engine represention and it seems it comes with a few good ones right out of the box.

However, while looking around at the DLS, it seems most ofthe good stuf is asking for a TS2006 S/n. Will I fnd most of these creations compatible?

I am particularly interested (at this moment :hehe: ) with the versions of the V&T 4-4-0 on the DLS. Its one of those locos I imprinted on as a kid. Should I expect a problem?

Here's a fair warning, and I'm being honest here because I don't want you to be disappointed with your purchase. I can say that I really enjoy TS2009 more than any other version of Trainz out there even with it's share of quirks. The AI are artificially more intelligent, the overall performance is smoother in comparision to other versions of Trainz. As a fair note, my machine is a bit hefty, but it never ran Trainz as smoothly as it does TS2009. My personal route is jam packed with objects in particular trees because I am modelling the Northeast where there are tons of green, and it runs quite nicely with TS2009 in comparison to TRS2006 and TRS2004, which both stuttered really badly in heavily built up areas.

As a TS2009 user, and one that came along with lots of "baggage" from previous versions of Trainz, I can say that the program handles the older content pretty well. You'll be lucky in this respect. Many of the now older downloaded items, are built into TS2009, and many of the TRS2006 items are now updated and standard fare as well.

About 99% of the newer downloadable items made for TRS2006 will work in TS2009 directly. There may or may not be errors. You may have to set the program to compatibily mode in order to use this content. In most cases there's nothing "wrong" with the content; the errors are due to stricter error checking in the configuration and files, and changes in the parameters that were either ignored in previous versions, or were okay back then and have changed in TS2009. With stuff made for TRS2004, the rate is about 90%, and older stuff is a bit scetchy, although I have quite a few items that load and look fine.

You will notice that in Native Mode, that older trees, telephone poles, fences, nd other objects that use alpha channel masking will have an invisible area around them. These objects are slowly being replaced by the content creators, and there are more and more items available every day. Since there's a search and replace function built into TS2009, it is easy to replace the older content with the newer compatibile items as they become available. Over the past months, I have been replacing, track, trees and textures with TS2009 "compliant" items as they have been uploaded to the Download Station. The DLS will list what's 100% TS2009 compatible through a filter. The switch to Compatibility mode fixes this problem so that older objects will load okay. There's a bit of a performance hit, which can or can not be noticable. For me it still runs nicely, and still smoother than the older versions ever were.

The V&T items are very nice. I've run a couple of the locomotives. If there are any missing dependencies, or some that come up broken, post the list up here in the forums and the people here will gladly help you fix the content, and even provide links to where you can get the missing items.

I hope I answered your questions. Remember it's a program to escape into and have fun. (Warning: Tt's never called a game here ;) ).

John

John and John, Thanks. I wazs a little unsure with the preamble on the first John;s post, but it sounds like it is right on the money with what I can realistically expect from any simulation (see that? not saying game:wave: )

Thanks for the replies.

Back