Startup managers / cleaners etc

big_b

My kids have downloaded that much crap onto my "c" drive at the moment. On line game trials from various sites along with all the other junk they install plus other useless video clips etc. My PC is not running the best at the moment The quickest way for me to clean it up & get the system going again is to reformat.

Any suggestions on a start up manager and/or system cleaner once I've got it up & running again.

Dave

IMHO, 90% of software that says, 'cleaner' 'optimizer' or similar titles are junk. I recommend one good antivirus/antispyware program. Right now Microsoft Security Essentials is my favorite. It's very light on system resources and seems to do a great job plus it's free. Also, get SuperAntispyware and Malwarebytes and run them weekly. These two free programs do not provide realtime malware protection, but MSE does.

Also: create a backup plan and stick to it. Good luck!

Darrel

Dave,

So your machine has been "Teenagered"! I don't recommend many cleaners either, but there are two that are very successful.

ccleaner and Advanced System Care (www.iobit.com).

The thing is the trials and such put so much stuff everywhere and in particular the registry that once it gets clogged, will ruin a machine's performance. That's where these cleaners help because they can search out the bits and pieces that belong with these programs that the uninstall utilities don't seem to find.

Once you clean up your machine, I highly recommend a defrag of the hard drive. This will help the performance tremendously.

John

Hi Dave. No need to re-install Windows if you just want to get rid of junk files/folders.

Try Revo Uninstaller. Been using this program for over 2 years and it's good at removing unwanted programs IMO. (not sure if I can post a link here).

Also give Zappit a try. Works a treat at removing junk. :mop: :)

If you need any help, just ask.

Craig.

Back